Ignoring Traffic Laws

I have no problem running red lights - it saves time and is harmless
6
21%
Of course I don't run red lights - it is both silly and against the law
20
69%
Kittens!
3
10%
 
Total voters : 29

Crossing On Red [now With Poll]

Postby 6cWxDT on Fri 7th Jul 11:46am

These last few months I've been regularly crossing on red during my commute through Chch CBD.

It does save me significant time as lights in the city take forever to change. Also, it usually gives me a clear run to the next light without slowing down the cars behind me or being squeezed into the car door zone. I only cross if/when there are absolutely no cars coming, i.e. all lanes are clear for at least a block.

Apparently some motorists get upset about it, although I haven't personally experienced that. I half expect some nut job in an SUV will run me off the road in anger one day.

What do people think? Am I causing irreparable damage to the cycling cause through irresponsible behaviour, or is crossing safely on red something that is quietly tolerated?
I'm just after the general consensus.
6cWxDT
Member for: 3 years 2 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby Wobbler on Fri 7th Jul 12:06pm

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/road ... way-rules/

3/4 of the way down

A red signal means stop.


I trust this assists
Wobbler
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby AgrAde on Fri 7th Jul 12:23pm

I run red lights all the time in my old hilux - It does save me significant time as lights in the city take forever to change. Also, it usually gives me a clear run to the next light without slowing down. I only cross if/when there are absolutely no cars coming, i.e. all lanes are clear for at least a block.

Apparently some motorists get upset about it, although I can't tell because I never look in my mirrors to see the reactions of the people I just cut off. I half expect some nut job in a police car will pull me off the road in anger one day.

What do people think? Am I causing irreparable damage to 4wder's cause through irresponsible behaviour, or is crossing safely on red something that is quietly tolerated?
I'm just after the general consensus.
AgrAde
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby Rik on Fri 7th Jul 1:02pm

I have never understood red light runners. Whats the logic behind it?

Is it the thrill of the danger of it? - Try Russian roulette, I hear it gives quite a buzz!
Is it to save time? - Try cycling faster or learn the light sequences so you can sprint the short sequences and recover on the long sequences!
Is it not wanting to put a foot down? Learn to track stand, Track stands are cool!
Or is it just too lazy to stop? The answer is simple, drive a car, warm comfy, requires minimal effort to operate!
Rik
User avatar
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby 6cWxDT on Fri 7th Jul 2:40pm

AgrAde wrote:I run red lights all the time in my old hilux - ....


Ha! Good for you - I like it. Except the bit about cutting people off.

Rik wrote:I have never understood red light runners. Whats the logic behind it?
...


To save time and to avoid mixing it up with larger more dangerous vehicles.
6cWxDT
Member for: 3 years 2 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby Conners on Fri 7th Jul 7:09pm

6cWxDT wrote:
AgrAde wrote:I run red lights all the time in my old hilux - ....


Ha! Good for you - I like it. Except the bit about cutting people off.

Rik wrote:I have never understood red light runners. Whats the logic behind it?
...


To save time and to avoid mixing it up with larger more dangerous vehicles.

Looks like you've justified it to yourself then. Not sure why you're asking for a consensus if you've got all the answers to support your immovable position.

Just know that if shit ever goes bad, you're in the wrong. And as the lightweight of any collision you will be worse off than the other guy.
Conners
User avatar
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby banga on Sat 8th Jul 6:10pm

Cyclist who run reds are wankers - end of. You wouldn't do it it your car don't do it on your bike. If you would do it in your car you're still a wanker.
banga
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby matnz on Sun 9th Jul 4:03pm

When you run a red a light, your actions reflect on all cyclists. Some motorists take you actions as being the how all cyclists ride (Positive reinforcement and all that) - "Cyclists think they own the road and are above the law". This upsets them, don;t know why, but it does.... Some of those car drivers a psychopaths, and you are giving those psychopaths a reason to mow down any cyclist. I am a cyclist, so you actions are giving car drivers an excuse to target me.

That makes you and asshole.
matnz
Member for: 2 years 6 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby swtchbckr on Sun 9th Jul 6:50pm

Central City Christchurch is such a bollocks wank of an omnifuck that I doubt anybody gives a shit if an occasional cyclist slides on thru a red when it's fucking obvious he's doing noone any harm.

This *should* be enshrined in law - red lights, for cyclists should be classed as compulsory Stop signs. Stop signs likewise as Give Ways. It would get cyclists out of the way of traffic, and ahead where they're more visible.

And, why shouldn't we get an advantage for being such awesome humans?!
swtchbckr
User avatar
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby swtchbckr on Sun 9th Jul 6:55pm

Besides, there are plenty of stealth ways to 'run a red' that don't necessarily entail breaking any laws...


(oh, riding on the footpath is against the law, is it??) :-\
swtchbckr
User avatar
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby ShoreBoy on Mon 10th Jul 7:43pm

The only time I have ever run a red light is while riding to my previous job, which involved getting on the bike at 0430 for an 0600 work start.
There was one set of lights I would encounter (Makora Road, Massey) that doesn't have a crossing button to push and the bike doesn't set it off. I would only ever ride through it if I could literally not see another vehicle in any direction. Other than that, I just won't do it.
ShoreBoy
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby 6cWxDT on Tue 11th Jul 10:45am

Most of the comments against here are either "it's against the rules" or "I don't like it/I don't do it, so nobody should". Neither of those are good enough reasons for me to stop doing it. I would give up over 1/2 an hour per week (time that could be spent with family or anything more useful than sitting on the side of an empty road), and increase my risk of being run over, in exchange for what?

The only argument that resonated with me was matnz', at least the bit worth repeating:

matnz wrote:When you run a red a light, your actions reflect on all cyclists. Some motorists take you actions as being the how all cyclists ride (Positive reinforcement and all that) - "Cyclists think they own the road and are above the law". This upsets them, don;t know why, but it does.... .


This is evidence that running reds can actually cause harm to others, however indirectly. It's the sort of thing I've been worried about and why I asked about it in the first place. So is this realistic? Does running reds make life worse/more dangerous for all cyclists or is that just an assumption?

Conners wrote:Looks like you've justified it to yourself then. Not sure why you're asking for a consensus if you've got all the answers to support your immovable position.


No you're wrong. I ask because I don't want to be an ignorant fool who continues obliviously doing something that makes others' lives worse. Like drivers who turn and change lanes without indicating. I'm sure most of them think they're not bothering anyone, and if someone pointed out the very good reasons why it's dangerous (with evidence), then they might stop doing it. That example doesn't quite apply because there is zero cost to using a blinker, unlike the red light situation. Anyway if there's compelling evidence that it makes life worse for other cyclists, or anyone else, then I'll stop doing it.
6cWxDT
Member for: 3 years 2 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby scatter on Tue 11th Jul 11:15am

6cWxDT wrote:Anyway if there's compelling evidence that it makes life worse for other cyclists, or anyone else, then I'll stop doing it.

I think you'd need to do a survey of cyclists and car drivers to get concrete evidence around that.

However, there's plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that when you run a red a light, your actions reflect on all cyclists. There have been a number of non-cyclists who have bought it up with me (even though I am not a red light runner - no lights to run where I ride!).

It's the same with bunch riding. "Oh you cyclists think you own the road". Never mind that I very rarely ride in a bunch, yet I'm still tarred with the same brush
scatter
User avatar
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 11th Jul 12:55pm

I still hold that it should be allowed for bikes to do it.

Red Light = Stop Sign.
Stop Sign = Give Way.


Just because we're awesome humans and for the reasons 6cWxDT says - gets us ahead of the traffic in view where they can see us and out of harms way.


people need to stop being so uppity about other people and take a look at themselves. all these fucking motorists who are unhinged and have a problem with ANYbody being in their way. gtfoverit.
swtchbckr
User avatar
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 11th Jul 5:43pm

So why give them or anyone any more reason to disrespect you?
Astoria Paranoia
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts

Who is online

50 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot], Rik and 47 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles