Ignoring Traffic Laws

I have no problem running red lights - it saves time and is harmless
6
21%
Of course I don't run red lights - it is both silly and against the law
20
69%
Kittens!
3
10%
 
Total voters : 29

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 13th Jul 5:38pm

Wobbler wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:
Wobbler wrote:I RIDE A BIKE SO I AM AWESOME FIGHT ME BEHIND THE BIKE SHED SCUM MOTORIST

Totally missing the point.
I wasn't saying all motorists are scum. And I wasn't saying it's cool to run reds. I's just saying the law should be different for bikes


Why?

You havent given any reason other than allegedly being awesome

Bring awesome is a pretty good reason.
The awesomeness that is derived from: zero emissions, zero impact on infrastructure, not really taking up much room, being regarded as second class citizens by most other road users (bout time we got some respect), and various other reasons I'm too lazy to think of
swtchbckr
User avatar
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby Wobbler on Thu 13th Jul 5:54pm

swtchbckr wrote:
Wobbler wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:
Wobbler wrote:I RIDE A BIKE SO I AM AWESOME FIGHT ME BEHIND THE BIKE SHED SCUM MOTORIST

Totally missing the point.
I wasn't saying all motorists are scum. And I wasn't saying it's cool to run reds. I's just saying the law should be different for bikes


Why?

You havent given any reason other than allegedly being awesome

being regarded as second class citizens by most other road users (bout time we got some respect)


sounds like you could start by respecting the road rules
Wobbler
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby Conners on Thu 13th Jul 6:22pm

swtchbckr wrote: zero impact on infrastructure

Really? Don't think you've thought that one through.
Conners
User avatar
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Crossing On Red [now With Poll]

Postby philstar on Thu 13th Jul 6:55pm

peterjdaly wrote:Stopping at traffic lights earns respect.

The only cyclists motorists recall is the ones who block lanes and run red lights.

If we didn't do that, the angst against us would be significantly reduced.


if no one did that, they would complain about something else like passing on the left. the solution is to make it legal (where safe to do so)
philstar
User avatar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby philstar on Thu 13th Jul 6:58pm

Wobbler wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:
Wobbler wrote:
You havent given any reason other than allegedly being awesome

being regarded as second class citizens by most other road users (bout time we got some respect)


sounds like you could start by respecting the road rules


you can respect rules that you want to see changed.
philstar
User avatar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 14th Jul 1:38pm

Conners wrote:
swtchbckr wrote: zero impact on infrastructure

Really? Don't think you've thought that one through.

Cycle tyres vs car vs SUV vs truck and trailer unit... Wear and tear etc. Um. What?

Or for pedantry, let's say effectively zero.
swtchbckr
User avatar
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby danose on Fri 14th Jul 1:43pm

swtchbckr wrote:
Conners wrote:
swtchbckr wrote: zero impact on infrastructure

Really? Don't think you've thought that one through.

Cycle tyres vs car vs SUV vs truck and trailer unit... Wear and tear etc. Um. What?


that's all well and good if you simple mindedly look at it from the point of wear only, however in total cost (i.e. cost to build as well as cost to maintain) dedicated cycle lanes are some of the least cost effective roading out there (cost is about the same per m^2 as a road, but usage rates are so low that if you work it out in terms of $/km/cyclist it's unbelievable).

Basically all taxpayers are massively subsidising your effort to be 'zero impact' and we'd be better of just paying you to drive :satan:
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Re: Crossing On Red [now With Poll]

Postby 6cWxDT on Fri 14th Jul 2:32pm

peterjdaly wrote:Stopping at traffic lights earns respect.

The only cyclists motorists recall is the ones who block lanes and run red lights.

If we didn't do that, the angst against us would be significantly reduced.


Trouble is often you have to choose. Run the red or block the lane. Which one actually affects motorists and is dangerous?
6cWxDT
Member for: 3 years 2 months

Re: Crossing On Red [now With Poll]

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Fri 14th Jul 2:50pm

Taking your legal space is dangerous?
Astoria Paranoia
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby Conners on Fri 14th Jul 3:35pm

danose wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:
Conners wrote:
swtchbckr wrote: zero impact on infrastructure

Really? Don't think you've thought that one through.

Cycle tyres vs car vs SUV vs truck and trailer unit... Wear and tear etc. Um. What?


that's all well and good if you simple mindedly look at it from the point of wear only, however in total cost (i.e. cost to build as well as cost to maintain) dedicated cycle lanes are some of the least cost effective roading out there (cost is about the same per m^2 as a road, but usage rates are so low that if you work it out in terms of $/km/cyclist it's unbelievable).

Basically all taxpayers are massively subsidising your effort to be 'zero impact' and we'd be better of just paying you to drive :satan:

swtchbckr wrote:
Conners wrote:
swtchbckr wrote: zero impact on infrastructure

Really? Don't think you've thought that one through.

Cycle tyres vs car vs SUV vs truck and trailer unit... Wear and tear etc. Um. What?

Or for pedantry, let's say effectively zero.

The numbers that are thrown around for cycle lane construction are far from zero. And the more people on bikes there are, the more elaborate the lanes will need to be.
Conners
User avatar
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Crossing On Red [now With Poll]

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 14th Jul 3:42pm

I've always been comfortable enough sharing road space with traffic, but yes I see your point re cost of cycle ways.

Unfortunately many of the new Chch ones are effectively useless to me because they don't suit my style of transit. Tuam St pisses me off every time I use it to the point I go out of my way to avoid it
swtchbckr
User avatar
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Crossing On Red [now With Poll]

Postby 6cWxDT on Fri 14th Jul 5:18pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:Taking your legal space is dangerous?

Yes.
Being tailgated by an impatient driver or being squeezed against roadworks, car doors, and car park entrances is dangerous. During any one trip it's not that bad, but when commuting day after day for years, the odds of a motorist scratching their nice shiny rims on a cyclist's head starts getting significant.
Depending on the area (Christchurch CBD being a good example) running the red is a good way to reduce the risk for the cyclist.
6cWxDT
Member for: 3 years 2 months

Re: Crossing On Red [now With Poll]

Postby Kev on Tue 18th Jul 6:16pm

Whats the worst that could happen?

Apparently the cyclist was not seriously injured ("sore hip") and the police did give the bicycle rider a ticket for running a red light.
Kev
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Re: Crossing On Red [now With Poll]

Postby Bigfoot on Wed 19th Jul 4:31am

Beat me to it!
Bigfoot
User avatar
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Crossing On Red [now With Poll]

Postby banga on Wed 19th Jul 9:10am

Kev wrote:Whats the worst that could happen?

Apparently the cyclist was not seriously injured ("sore hip") and the police did give the bicycle rider a ticket for running a red light.


But that couldn't possibly happen to the red light runners here? they are much better cyclists and more awesome.
banga
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts

Who is online

53 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 50 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles

cron