Ignoring Traffic Laws

I have no problem running red lights - it saves time and is harmless
6
21%
Of course I don't run red lights - it is both silly and against the law
20
69%
Kittens!
3
10%
 
Total voters : 29

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby Wobbler on Tue 11th Jul 7:20pm

I RIDE A BIKE SO I AM AWESOME FIGHT ME BEHIND THE BIKE SHED SCUM MOTORIST
Wobbler
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby Conners on Tue 11th Jul 7:40pm

Half an hour per week? That's over 4 minutes per day. Just how many sets of lights are you waiting at??

6cWxDT wrote:
Conners wrote:Looks like you've justified it to yourself then. Not sure why you're asking for a consensus if you've got all the answers to support your immovable position.


No you're wrong.

You also wrote a heap of other words, but I didn't bother to read them. Those three proved my point.
Conners
User avatar
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby philstar on Tue 11th Jul 9:19pm

banga wrote:Cyclist who run reds are wankers - end of. You wouldn't do it it your car don't do it on your bike. If you would do it in your car you're still a wanker.



would you run a red in Idaho?
philstar
User avatar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby Wobbler on Tue 11th Jul 9:41pm

philstar wrote:
banga wrote:Cyclist who run reds are wankers - end of. You wouldn't do it it your car don't do it on your bike. If you would do it in your car you're still a wanker.



would you run a red in Idaho?


would you get a steamer in cleveland?
Wobbler
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby EoinC on Wed 12th Jul 12:12am

swtchbckr wrote:...Just because we're awesome humans and for the reasons 6cWxDT says - gets us ahead of the traffic in view where they can see us and out of harms way...

So, if someone is an awesome human and drives a car, they should be allowed to drive through a red light for the same reason.
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby danose on Wed 12th Jul 8:38am

scatter wrote:However, there's plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that when you run a red a light, your actions reflect on all cyclists. There have been a number of non-cyclists who have bought it up with me (even though I am not a red light runner - no lights to run where I ride!).


yep, I get the same at work - though I do make the counter point that since obviously ALL motorists are incapable of correctly turning into a multi-lane road (i.e. keeping in the lane closest to them) then obviously ALL motorists are idiots (I suspect the irony is wasted on them though)
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby danose on Wed 12th Jul 8:40am

Wobbler wrote:I RIDE A BIKE SO I AM AWESOME FIGHT ME BEHIND THE BIKE SHED SCUM MOTORIST


Image
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Re: Crossing On Red [now With Poll]

Postby Bigfoot on Wed 12th Jul 8:46am

:lol:

Time to gather some data...
Bigfoot
User avatar
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby banga on Wed 12th Jul 9:05am

philstar wrote:
banga wrote:Cyclist who run reds are wankers - end of. You wouldn't do it it your car don't do it on your bike. If you would do it in your car you're still a wanker.



would you run a red in Idaho?


I would do alot of things differently if I were in Idaho I suspect.
banga
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 12th Jul 8:35pm

Wobbler wrote:I RIDE A BIKE SO I AM AWESOME FIGHT ME BEHIND THE BIKE SHED SCUM MOTORIST

Totally missing the point.
I wasn't saying all motorists are scum. And I wasn't saying it's cool to run reds. I's just saying the law should be different for bikes
swtchbckr
User avatar
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby Wobbler on Wed 12th Jul 9:25pm

swtchbckr wrote:
Wobbler wrote:I RIDE A BIKE SO I AM AWESOME FIGHT ME BEHIND THE BIKE SHED SCUM MOTORIST

Totally missing the point.
I wasn't saying all motorists are scum. And I wasn't saying it's cool to run reds. I's just saying the law should be different for bikes


Why?

You havent given any reason other than allegedly being awesome
Wobbler
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Crossing On Red [now With Poll]

Postby Kev on Thu 13th Jul 10:40am

Things are a little bit different here in California.
For starters, it's obviously ok to turn right on a red (after coming to a complete stop, which no one ever does)
But, there is one other situation where I occasionally find myself sneaking through on red.
At a T junction when I am on the main road on the opposite side from the side road
i.e. riding along the top of the attached image. Usually the road is wide, possibly even with a dedicated bicycle lane.
As I see it the options in order of illegality are
1) stop and wait for green
2) stop push my bike along the pavement for 20feet
3) proceed slowly through if it is clear
4) go through flat out, yelling "Get out of the way!" to any pedestrians who may be crossing
(there is another option of riding on the pavement but I'm not sure if that is better or worse than running the red light)

I assume this scenario is fairly contrived for New Zealand. I don't know how many 3 way traffic light junctions you have and I'm sure the roads would be less wide but I just wanted to show that it may not always be black and white (red and green?)
1_1545521_1.jpg
Kev
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby 6cWxDT on Thu 13th Jul 3:59pm

Conners wrote:Half an hour per week? That's over 4 minutes per day. Just how many sets of lights are you waiting at??


7 lights, twice a day, 5 days a week. Travelling east-west in chch you almost never get green. There are others in the burbs but I wouldn't consider crossing those, too busy.
6cWxDT
Member for: 3 years 2 months

Re: Crossing On Red

Postby 6cWxDT on Thu 13th Jul 4:01pm

swtchbckr wrote:I still hold that it should be allowed for bikes to do it.

Red Light = Stop Sign.
Stop Sign = Give Way.

Yeah man for sure. Can't see it happening anytime soon though
6cWxDT
Member for: 3 years 2 months

Re: Crossing On Red [now With Poll]

Postby peterjdaly on Thu 13th Jul 5:06pm

Stopping at traffic lights earns respect.

The only cyclists motorists recall is the ones who block lanes and run red lights.

If we didn't do that, the angst against us would be significantly reduced.
peterjdaly
Member for: 6 years 10 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts

Who is online

54 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 51 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop