Croseus/ Barrytown

Postby wallyg on Wed 10/Jun/09 7:06am

hi all
looking at going up Croseus track then over the hill coing out at Barrytown.
be a bit of carry but has anybody done this recently?
cheers wally
wallyg
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Re: Croseus/barrytown

Postby richardg on Wed 10/Jun/09 7:20am

I haven't done it for a couple years, we had a group of 10 or so. 3 of us liked it, most of them didn't, some thought it was ridiculus. One guys knees blew out, another sold his bike afterwards and gave up mountainbiking! It hadn't rained for 10 days or so, so Greymouths water supply was rationed, but it was still boggy and muddy and rooty and slippery, dam it was great! There is a photo of it somewhere on Vorb, I'll try and find it and put it here... It is extremely technical / steep etc. I can't think of many tracks to compare it to really. The bottom third of the descent to Barrytown is a big benchtrack, like queen charlotte or something... but the top 2 thirds are super tech...

Attached is a photo. I have some video at home I guess... One day I'll make a video (he says knowing its not true)
MMmmmm%20copy.jpg
down to Barrytown
richardg
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Trail on Wed 10/Jun/09 8:28am

Been meaning to hit this up too. Been to the top a number of times but have yet to do the up and over. You would probably want some good sticky rubber on your wheels from what I have heard!

I have friends who did up Croesus across and then down Moonlight if you are looking for another option. Sounded like bit of a shoulder high turpentine scrub bash to get across the tops tho.
Last edited by Trail on Wed 10/Jun/09 8:32am, edited 1 time in total.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Tama on Wed 10/Jun/09 8:32am

richardg wrote:I haven't done it for a couple years, we had a group of 10 or so. 3 of us liked it, most of them didn't, some thought it was ridiculus. One guys knees blew out, another sold his bike afterwards and gave up mountainbiking! It hadn't rained for 10 days or so, so Greymouths water supply was rationed, but it was still boggy and muddy and rooty and slippery, dam it was great! There is a photo of it somewhere on Vorb, I'll try and find it and put it here... It is extremely technical / steep etc. I can't think of many tracks to compare it to really. The bottom third of the descent to Barrytown is a big benchtrack, like queen charlotte or something... but the top 2 thirds are super tech...

Attached is a photo. I have some video at home I guess... One day I'll make a video (he says knowing its not true)

I had a look at this a few years back - the super steep profile of the Barrytown descent looked challenging to say the least. I'm not sure whether to feel comforted or not by Richie's description.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby richardg on Wed 10/Jun/09 8:44am

The safest way to roll the steep side is to carry up from Barrytown, then pull back when you get scared. That way you get the good climb and descent up the bench track, then you get to choose exactly how long / tight you want your sphinter to feel... I'd say of the group we rode in 50% walked 80% of it. (And these are all good well experienced riders) The photo is just as you start, before it gets steep and rooty and narrow / rutty..
richardg

Postby XCguy on Wed 10/Jun/09 12:22pm

wallyg wrote:hi all
looking at going up Croseus track then over the hill coing out at Barrytown.
be a bit of carry but has anybody done this recently?
cheers wally

I have run this route and I certainly wouldn't consider taking my bike on some of it. Heading up Croesus is a sweet experience. Along the tops is okay in places, depending on the depth of the alpine area trail rut (was difficult to run in places, let alone have enough space to pedal). The descent is an amazing track but would be a dog on a bike. Some of it would be rideable by a techy rider but there would be a lot of walk and on and off down the real steep rooty stuff. The last section of the descent though is wide and fast.

My opinion is, if you do go up and over be prepared for a mission. If you want a fun ride then just go up and back the Croesus. If you want more riding that day then head up the road a wee way and do an up and back of the Moonlight. It's an excellent trail to ride (did it last year). I haven't tried the Croesus to Moonlight link so can't comment on that but there is an article about it here... http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/hotrides/hotride43.htm

Happy missioning :)
XCguy
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby DogsBollocks on Wed 10/Jun/09 12:55pm

Good advice :thumbsup: What sort of ballpark time would you allow to get up to the hut and back, from Blackball, taking into account lunch, photo's etc.
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby Trail on Wed 10/Jun/09 1:06pm

5 to 6 hours should be easily doable.

I think most times I have been up there it has been more in the region of 3 to 4 hours... depends who you are riding with of course ;)
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Wed 10/Jun/09 1:20pm

Cool. We thinking of getting up early one morning and heading over from Ch-Ch, doin the ride then spending the night. Just wanted to make sure . We'd be taking our time but I think it's pretty do-able.

FYI. I mapped it and Jebus, when you said the West side was steep you were'nt kiddin !
http://www.mapmyride.com/route/nz/black ... 9644194637
DogsBollocks

Re: Croseus/ Barrytown

Postby mitch7 on Wed 10/Jun/09 10:07pm

was just there over Queens Birthday...but this time we cheated...choppered to above the Ces Clarke Hut and Bombed down..broke a pinky in the process..next Kirwins..same thing Choppered up snow up at the hut..bombed down,loads of tree fall tho..then off to Hamner..

It must be said that the West Coast must have the most reasonable prices for helicopters...$100 and $70...respectively..

and yes above the Ces Clarke hut,the trail is pretty rutted (bike deep) :crazy: :o
mitch7
"A beard is like having a machine gun on your face. Pure badass."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 11/Jun/09 7:19am

Heads Up. I see on the Hilton's website it's closed for maintainance until June 30 !
DogsBollocks

Postby mitch7 on Sat 13/Jun/09 9:49am

DogsBollocks wrote:Heads Up. I see on the Hilton's website it's closed for maintainance until June 30 !

i'd give them a ring to make sure...also the Croesus was supposed to be shut when we rode due to new swingbridges being built..but it was open...they are working on the bridges tho...had to rivercross twice
mitch7
"A beard is like having a machine gun on your face. Pure badass."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby j2hyde on Sat 13/Jun/09 2:53pm

Sounds awesome. I'm a gonna do it.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby richardg on Mon 15/Jun/09 10:42pm

:) here is a little bit of video, the helmet cam stuff all looks pox..
[CLICK TO LAUNCH VID PLAYER] [CLICK TO LAUNCH VID PLAYER]
[CLICK TO LAUNCH VID PLAYER]
this actually looks reasonably steep!
Viewed 693 times -
richardg

Cycling | Epic Riding | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | West Coast - Latest Posts