Craters Of The Moon.

Postby Accidentprone on Thu 26/May/11 7:50pm

I am thinking of going to craters of the moon mtb park in Taupo, but can't find any maps, descriptions etc n the internet....

Is it any good? cheers
Accidentprone
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Re: Craters Of The Moon.

Postby Butch on Thu 26/May/11 7:56pm

I've heard good things, but never been there myself. Pretty sure all the info is in the Kennett bros book, if you can get your hands on it, but I'm sure someone will be along to point you in the right direction soon. :)
Butch
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space!"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 26/May/11 8:04pm

http://www.biketaupo.org.nz/component/o ... temid,114/

maps of Taupo trails, including craters, check out the Bike Taupo website, plus info in the Kennet book, you'll be away with a grin, trails are quite XC, but lots of fun to be had, soil drains really nicely so is pretty much all weather riding
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby XCrazy on Thu 26/May/11 8:07pm

http://www.biketaupo.org.nz/component/o ... temid,114/

Some maps in the above link, not sure how up to date they are.

Taupo is great fun, they tracks are all very much at the XC end of the mountain biking spectrum but great fun nonetheless. Happy to provide more advice if you have question although I am probably a little out of date. NZRidar will be the most helpful, I imagine he will pop along shortly.
XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby XCrazy on Thu 26/May/11 8:08pm

Awww, snap :blush:
XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby scatter on Thu 26/May/11 8:09pm

Craters of the Moo is teh rad :love:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby redman on Thu 26/May/11 8:14pm

+1 for craters, a nice place to ride with well developed tracks.
redman
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Accidentprone on Thu 26/May/11 8:19pm

Sounds awesome! I have an old Kennett bros book from 2005, is that a bit out of date?
Accidentprone

Postby kona.stinky. on Thu 26/May/11 8:26pm

Yeah, the tracks are pretty mint in Taupo. A fun casual loop is:
Buddha - Tank Stand - GE Grinder - Buzzard - Son Of Buzzard - Incline - Coaster.
I might be able to show you around, depends when you are here though.
:thumbsup:
kona.stinky.
"Si"
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby PeloNZ on Thu 26/May/11 8:38pm

Taupo is awesome, I ride there heaps. Tracks is behind on updates. The map posted above is up to date. The used to be some more tracks on the south side that got logged a few months ago.
A loop I like for fast easy XC is tank stand, grinder, debs track, mr, mrs, better than p, incline, coaster, on the north side. Then combine with the southern tracks kegresse, ferret and tourist trap.
The buzzard is probably the best hardcore XC trail. Coles Killer is a loose freeride track. Budda is a decent DH with good jumps. Outback is a mini-epic.
Check before you go out as there was a lot of storm damage last month and many of the tracks are inaccessible due to trees down :( Have fun!
PeloNZ
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby NzidaR on Thu 26/May/11 9:32pm

PeloNZ wrote:Taupo is awesome, I ride there heaps. Tracks is behind on updates. The map posted above is up to date. The used to be some more tracks on the south side that got logged a few months ago.
A loop I like for fast easy XC is tank stand, grinder, debs track, mr, mrs, better than p, incline, coaster, on the north side. Then combine with the southern tracks kegresse, ferret and tourist trap.
The buzzard is probably the best hardcore XC trail. Coles Killer is a loose freeride track. Budda is a decent DH with good jumps. Outback is a mini-epic.
:( Have fun!

:withstupid:

As others have said Biketaupo is the best and most up to date place on the web for Taupo riding info :thumbsup: . The only tracks closed currently are Squirt and Corkscrew (storm hit those pretty hard). The whole system drains pretty well thanks to the pumice so good in almost all weather. If there's anything else you'd like to know I'm happy to help :)
NzidaR
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby thelivo on Thu 26/May/11 9:41pm

PeloNZ wrote:Taupo is awesome, I ride there heaps. Tracks is behind on updates. The map posted above is up to date. The used to be some more tracks on the south side that got logged a few months ago.
Check before you go out as there was a lot of storm damage last month and many of the tracks are inaccessible due to trees down :( Have fun!

Agree with most of that - except kegresse - thats an awful track!
Is debs more rideable now? It was so soft after it got logged I stopped riding it.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby NzidaR on Thu 26/May/11 9:50pm

thelivo wrote:Agree with most of that - except kegresse - thats an awful track!
Is debs more rideable now? It was so soft after it got logged I stopped riding i

Ah Kegresse. That track certainly polarises opinion :p . It is worth noting that parts of it have been 'modified' :sneaky: to try and improve the flow. How long ago did you ride debs ? It is now a complete loop back up to the top :thumbsup: . Has packed down quite nicely, the main issue at the moment are the baby trees that have been bent by the wind across the track , ie there is a bit of tree-slalom at the moment :lol:
NzidaR
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby thelivo on Thu 26/May/11 9:53pm

NzidaR wrote:
thelivo wrote:Agree with most of that - except kegresse - thats an awful track!
Is debs more rideable now? It was so soft after it got logged I stopped riding i

Ah Kegresse. That track certainly polarises opinion :p . It is worth noting that parts of it have been 'modified' :sneaky: to try and improve the flow. How long ago did you ride debs ? It is now a complete loop back up to the top :thumbsup: . Has packed down quite nicely, the main issue at the moment are the baby trees that have been bent by the wind across the track , ie there is a bit of tree-slalom at the moment :lol:

It was a while ago to be fair, straight after it was logged. And i was trying to keep up with Mr T-rex which was a stupid idea given my muppetry on the bike.
I rode Kegresse at the Huka last year - have never been on a track i hated as much! Its not that technical, its just BAD!
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Accidentprone on Fri 27/May/11 8:50am

awesome, I'm gonna have to ride Kegresse just so i can formulate an opinion...

I might ride Moerangi too. Is that damaged much?
Accidentprone

Cycling | Middle North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Taupo | Taupo Region - Latest Posts