Re: Crap Dropper & Consumer Guarantees Act

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 27th Sep 11:26am

Geordie wrote: mine is showing some serious wear. The seat shaft has substantial wear caused by the metal ring / busing at the point where it enters the bottom tube. I have applied grease under the screw off collar regularly but there is still substantial wear. At this pace it may last another 12 months but this is not really what I would expect from a serious mountain bike product.

So, has anyone figured out how to do a proper strip and service of this bushing?
Most more expensive posts seem to be totally rebuildable, but the top seal collar and cartridge are the only obvious parts the user can access on a giant.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Dougal on Wed 27th Sep 12:09pm

dwgknz wrote:Are the more expensive posts actually better though?? Hear issues about KS and Reverb pretty frequently, less so fox and Thomson. I got about 100 hours out of my first Giant post before they warrantied it without fuss (and then a carbon frame a week after that came back). I’m guessing posts are still quite an immature product in the grand scheme of things and will start to get better in the next few generations.

There is a clear divide between posts which can have the innards serviced and posts which can only have major parts replaced (i.e. crimped shut gas struts inside).
Then there is the second divide for whether those parts are available.
Then a third for whether they're worth fixing even if they are servicable. There have been some absolute shockers sent to market in recent years.

Price is not an indicator of either and the market is that full that it's hard to keep up with all the different options.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Dougal on Wed 27th Sep 12:15pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
Geordie wrote: mine is showing some serious wear. The seat shaft has substantial wear caused by the metal ring / busing at the point where it enters the bottom tube. I have applied grease under the screw off collar regularly but there is still substantial wear. At this pace it may last another 12 months but this is not really what I would expect from a serious mountain bike product.

So, has anyone figured out how to do a proper strip and service of this bushing?
Most more expensive posts seem to be totally rebuildable, but the top seal collar and cartridge are the only obvious parts the user can access on a giant.

On giant posts there are two horizontal grub screws in the top that retain the top of the gas strut. Remove the collar and those and there's not much left.
Dougal

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 27th Sep 12:35pm

Dougal wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:

On giant posts there are two horizontal grub screws in the top that retain the top of the gas strut. Remove the collar and those and there's not much left.

There's the bushing the inner post slides on. I can't see how to get to it.
Velocipedestrian

Postby DogsBollocks on Wed 27th Sep 12:56pm

FWIW. I bought a Funn UpDown from T7 for $236 (on sale from $359) and the cartridge seized after 10 months. Brand new one turned up a week later no questions asked. Really good service.

Then I sold it and bought a new bike :satan:
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 27th Sep 1:52pm

That's what I paid for the giant, and after one cartridge warranty it's been sweet.
I just like to stay on top of routine maintenance, and feel thwarted.
Velocipedestrian

Postby mark2c on Wed 27th Sep 8:58pm

10 months being used in Wellie should be covered by the CGA.

I'm Wellie based very abusive of dropper posts (originally the Gravity Dropper, then Reverb and now KS Lev) - ride in the rain and mud etc.

Suffered from the early quality probs with the Reverb and that cost a bomb once out of warranty.

The Lev (for me...) has been by far the best. It does need waterproof grease under the top seal and a regular strip down clean to stop water-based corrosion.

I totally can't believe how the Lev has been so good for so long. Remarkable that it is still smooth with no slop.
mark2c
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Dougal on Wed 27th Sep 9:41pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:There's the bushing the inner post slides on. I can't see how to get to it.

Undo the lower actuator cap, remove the 2x grub screws in there (2mm hex key). Unscrew the collar and everything slides out the top.
Dougal

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 27th Sep 9:59pm

Nice one.
Something for a rainy day (with kid free hands).
Velocipedestrian

Postby phunk on Thu 28th Sep 1:38pm

You have to pull pretty hard to get the bushing to come out though, a bit like a slide hammer. Watch the plastic bits at the bottom dont fall off and disappear.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 1st Nov 2:40pm

hey, how crap (or not crap), are the Funn UpDown or this newfangled PRO Koryak posts that are reasonable cheap at Torp7 currently?

Got a workmate looking for posts, and obv we cant see the Reverbs on CRC and Wiggs cos of geoblocking...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby mudguard on Wed 1st Nov 2:58pm

I had my Reverb rebuilt. I'd had it serviced and was warned that it needed an overhaul. Worked faultlessly until it didn't. Anyway, long story short, it needed a new piston. The distributor in NZ didn't have any, so the shop gave me the part number so I could order it online. I think it came from Germany in the end. I think all up it was nearly $250-300 to rebuild. I hope it lasts another four years!
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby el_booto on Thu 2nd Nov 11:08pm

swtchbckr wrote:hey, how crap (or not crap), are the Funn UpDown or this newfangled PRO Koryak posts that are reasonable cheap at Torp7 currently?

Got a workmate looking for posts, and obv we cant see the Reverbs on CRC and Wiggs cos of geoblocking...

the PRO droppers are similar to a KS, just replace the cartridge if when it expires
PRO is shimano's finishing kit brand so spares are available, not seen one yet but have been considering one for an upcoming build :paranoid:
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby mark2c on Fri 3rd Nov 8:53am

My KS Lev went spongy. Emptied the scunge oil out of the cartridge and refilled with 5 weight synthetic fork oil. Control now works better than it did new...
Instructions here: http://forums.mtbr.com/components/ks-le ... 99659.html
mark2c
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Dougal on Fri 3rd Nov 9:53am

mark2c wrote:My KS Lev went spongy. Emptied the scunge oil out of the cartridge and refilled with 5 weight synthetic fork oil. Control now works better than it did new...
Instructions here: http://forums.mtbr.com/components/ks-le ... 99659.html

How much faster was it after that? Depending on the brand and spec the oil you put in is 2-3 times thinner than the stock stuff.
Dougal

Controls + Cockpit | Cycling | Seatposts - Latest Posts