Re: Crank Brothers Mallet E(nduro)

Postby adikt on Tue 12/Jan/16 3:13pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:I'll add a tiny bit more unsolicited advice, though it's really no different to the shimano DX style.
Keywin DH

Doesn't stop them getting jammed up with mud tho .. same design, same issues.

I've been rocking SPDs for 7?8? ish years, no issues with them, but I've occasionally had issues with them getting packed up with mud.

Which wasn't a problem til I was at 440 the other day riding in what was effectively peanutbutter. Rocking down there clipping & unclipping to put a foot down is great up until you try to clip in for the next chunk and realise you can't, and are about to be sliding on your ass down the hill because you can't pedal or stand up.

SPDs don't seem to have an answer for this sort of thing, so (and I haven't looked at Time Z as shmoo just mentioned) the only alternative is CB.

Also - Wobbler - I fully expect a bunch of BS & ranting coming to vorb. Was not disappointed :D
adikt
Member for: 2 years 9 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 12/Jan/16 3:49pm

adikt wrote:Also - Wobbler - I fully expect a bunch of BS & ranting coming to vorb. Was not disappointed :D

:D

GET SUM FLATZ
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby adikt on Tue 12/Jan/16 4:05pm

Wobbler wrote:
:D

GET SUM FLATZ

Naw, I find when I jump my legs don't seem to be long enough to reach the pedals!
adikt

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 12/Jan/16 4:14pm

adikt wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:I'll add a tiny bit more unsolicited advice, though it's really no different to the shimano DX style.
Keywin DH

I've been rocking SPDs for 7?8? ish years, no issues with them, but I've occasionally had issues with them getting packed up with mud.

Which wasn't a problem til I was at 440 the other day riding in what was effectively peanutbutter. Rocking down there clipping & unclipping to put a foot down is great up until you try to clip in for the next chunk and realise you can't, and are about to be sliding on your ass down the hill because you can't pedal or stand up.

SPDs don't seem to have an answer for this sort of thing, so (and I haven't looked at Time Z as shmoo just mentioned) the only alternative is CB.

Also - Wobbler - I fully expect a bunch of BS & ranting coming to vorb. Was not disappointed :D

I rode the Keywin DHs for ~8 years, all good most of the time, but yeah, mud.

Have made the switch to Shimano M530 which have a bit more space around the clip for mud to push out.
Haven't had to give them a proper test in the ooze yet, but I'm hopeful. (and so cheap)
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Kyle on Tue 12/Jan/16 8:03pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
Astoria Paranoia wrote:
adikt wrote:I realise that, from what I understand so have SRAM brakes.

Juicy brakes are made by AVID not SRAM.
There's a reason why they changed the name.

Avid is owned by Sram, they changed the name to dodge the crap rep.
Still made by the same people.

That involved a major change of ownership, a corporate overlord looking to consolidate its empire and probably a large amount of hiring/firing and arse kicking, and it still took about a year of positive reviews and oem specced bikes ridden by guinea pigs for the word to get out.

CB are yet to really go through any of this.
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 12/Jan/16 8:19pm

Kyle wrote:CB are yet to really go through any of this.

Who'd buy that collection of IP and reputation?
Velocipedestrian

Postby Kyle on Tue 12/Jan/16 8:28pm

Those douchecopters who reinvigorated Dick Smith then ran away with all the money?
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Conners on Tue 12/Jan/16 9:17pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
adikt wrote:
Keywin DH

I rode the Keywin DHs for ~8 years, all good most of the time, but yeah, mud.

Have made the switch to Shimano M530 which have a bit more space around the clip for mud to push out.
Haven't had to give them a proper test in the ooze yet, but I'm hopeful. (and so cheap)

Or Shimano M535s? These are the only pedals I've ever used (in ~18 years of riding - I've nearly worn out my second pair now - and I used to ride a LOT more than I do now :lol: ).
If you do have issues with mud clearance the larger platform gives you some security to keep riding with.
But if you're totally off Shimanos then ignore me.
I'm actually wondering what I will get to replace these...
image.png
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 12/Jan/16 9:31pm

Those are 90% identical to the Keywin unit.
Could get a pair of those, or smaller M530 (or the XT etc versions, same shape) if you have stiff soles you won't miss the bigger platform.
Velocipedestrian

Postby Conners on Tue 12/Jan/16 10:08pm

Nice one - cheers.
Just had a quick look and T7 have 30% off Shimano pedals at the moment. Really like the look of the XT trail versions, and at ~$110 seems ideal.
I'm not so much about the platform for actual size/support - more about being able to rotate the pedal for clipping in, and the smaller platform of the XT trail looks like it would be really good for that.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby adikt on Tue 12/Jan/16 10:22pm

Definitely keen on the wider platform as well for those times its not worth clipping in, or switching in & out too quickly.

When we were at 440 the other day, 3 of us with SPDs of various configurations, one guy with mallet DHs.

Guess who the only one was that could clip in reliably for the whole ride? Let me give you a hint, the 3 of us with SPDs had to keep stopping at least once every run to poke the mud out with sticks, and that still didnt really help much :\
adikt

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 12/Jan/16 10:37pm

Conners wrote:Nice one - cheers.
Just had a quick look and T7 have 30% off Shimano pedals at the moment. Really like the look of the XT trail versions, and at ~$110 seems ideal.
I'm not so much about the platform for actual size/support - more about being able to rotate the pedal for clipping in, and the smaller platform of the XT trail looks like it would be really good for that.

Got the M530s off wiggle for about $40... Just for comparison.

The clip section not rotating in relation to the cage actually makes clipping in easier.
Velocipedestrian

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 12/Jan/16 10:40pm

adikt wrote:Definitely keen on the wider platform as well for those times its not worth clipping in, or switching in & out too quickly.

When we were at 440 the other day, 3 of us with SPDs of various configurations, one guy with mallet DHs.

Guess who the only one was that could clip in reliably for the whole ride? Let me give you a hint, the 3 of us with SPDs had to keep stopping at least once every run to poke the mud out with sticks, and that still didnt really help much :\

I have used old Mallets, and despite shitting the bed at random they were very good at clearing mud.

Not tried Time, are they better than shimano for that?
Velocipedestrian

Postby Conners on Wed 13/Jan/16 8:29am

Velocipedestrian wrote:
Conners wrote:Nice one - cheers.

Got the M530s off wiggle for about $40... Just for comparison.

The clip section not rotating in relation to the cage actually makes clipping in easier.

Right you are good sir!
And pretty hard to justify the extra for the XTs
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby dave_sharpe on Wed 13/Jan/16 9:29am

shmoodiver wrote:Time Z...

Yeah, hard - I thrashed a couple of pairs of times over the past 3 years, with zero issues - just wore the cleats out, but I was doing a lot of hike-a-bike. Time seems to offer a similar feel/design to CB, without the feature of falling apart on a regular basis. Granted, they don't come in cool, anodised #enduro colourways.
dave_sharpe
Member for: 3 years 3 months

Clipless Pedals | Controls + Cockpit | Cycling | MTB Clipless Pedals | Pedals - Latest Posts