Cove Bikes in NZ

Postby Tama on Wed 15/Jan/03 2:23pm

This is for Col - methinks, he asked a question on NZ MTB Web...

Anyway, Cove bikes are going to / are already bought in by KRDRacing - no info on the website yet, but I got the tip from some fairly reliable sources.
:thumbsup:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby Col on Wed 15/Jan/03 2:37pm

I spoke to Mark yesterday about Rocky Mountain etc He can get me a DeKerf Team 853 for something like 3500+GST for the frame. Unfortunately having not won the lotto (yet) this is a bit out of my price range - I'll pay up to about 1500 for a goos steel frame. I think its going to have to be a Supergo/Jensen trip then ....

Steel is real ..... unfortunately its also really f'ing hard to get !!
Col
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby Tama on Wed 15/Jan/03 2:47pm

Bugger - I thought Mark was doing Cove now too - the Handjob looks (and sounds) quite cool.

Mmmmm... DeKerf... drool... but yes, know where you're coming from about the price.

Speaking of spunky steel bikes - Kona Explosif - Chickenman may have a clue about how to get hold of one of these babies.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby Col on Wed 15/Jan/03 2:51pm

Indeed - Kona Exposif == f'ing hard to find unless you either a) get a complete bike from the UK (1200gbp) or US (500US for frame). A frame here will be (if they can get one) at least $2K. Shame as thats my #1 choice ( to replace my 1988 Explosif with rigid P2's, XTR, fully loaded which is now running around London under my girlfriends Dad who must be seen as one funky fella !)

My list (in order of reasonableness to buy...) is
Jamis Dragon
Cove Handjob
Explosif
DeKerf
Dave Yates custom build <- I had one that was stolen after 3 days ownership *sob* and I couldn't get another built for 5 months and was moving to NZ..

So its a Jamis Dragon then.....$399 on Jensen
Col

Postby red ribbon roast on Wed 15/Jan/03 4:40pm

Me pick of the bunch is the Cove Handjob - luvely - and as they say ain't nothin' sexier than steel!

It's priced on JensonUSA at $369.00

yummy price. :satan:
red ribbon roast
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby jeremyb on Thu 16/Jan/03 9:00am

I quite like the look of those Da Bomb frames, when I was in wellies I noticed that Burkes had one, was very nicely put together!!

But for bang for your buck can't go past a Slacker or DMR, can't wait to pick my DMR up on monday :)
jeremyb
"www.derailled.co.nz - New Zealand Cycling Forum"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Col on Thu 16/Jan/03 9:05am

OK its decided - a 19" COve Jandjob in pearly Black MMmmmmmm

Question: I have y2K XTR cranks with a 112.5mm BB - havign never taken the crank arms off , do these have square taper or are XTR (and y2k particularly) that weird splined thing that shimano used to do only on XTR ? Jensen have XTR BB's which look exactly the same as the one I currently have.

So far its got a Chris King headset ( well I mean quite simply - why not ?), Salsa seatpost etc SHould be quite nice !
Col

Postby red ribbon roast on Thu 16/Jan/03 9:22am

Col wrote:OK its decided - a 19" COve Jandjob in pearly Black MMmmmmmm

Question: I have y2K XTR cranks with a 112.5mm BB - havign never taken the crank arms off , do these have square taper or are XTR (and y2k particularly) that weird splined thing that shimano used to do only on XTR ? Jensen have XTR BB's which look exactly the same as the one I currently have.

So far its got a Chris King headset ( well I mean quite simply - why not ?), Salsa seatpost etc SHould be quite nice !

Spanking Col!!! Picccys when you get it please. Sorry I'm no help with above query.
red ribbon roast

Info

Postby Stun on Thu 16/Jan/03 6:07pm

Yeah Mark from KRD is riding around on a new Cove... Punter raced it at Cardrona and broke it...
Then again Scott Sheldon said his bike is now 13mm longer after racing over the weekend. Sounds like the course was pretty harsh on the bikes eh.
Oh yeah - DeKerfs. My mate rides one of the jump bikes and loves it. But I rode a dated XC rig a while back and it was THE most flexy bike I've ever ridden. Change direction, wait for the frame to twist and then SNAP you back in the right direction. Kinda cool.
Dunno what the new ones are like though.
Stu
Stun
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby red ribbon roast on Fri 17/Jan/03 8:57am

W3rd* :D

(*from the Book of Bugle, chapter 5, verse 34).
red ribbon roast

Postby Scotty on Sat 18/Jan/03 1:59pm

Col wrote:Steel is real ..... unfortunately its also really f'ing hard to get !!

Nicest bike I rode recently was the Jamis Dakota, tubeless wheels and Reynolds 531 with an XT/Avid component mix. My favourite steel bike has always been the Rocky Mountain Blizzard, for some reason the just ride better than anything I've ever owned.

2003 stuff from Jamis is looking mint too, if you wanna look at buying a Jamis locally Col let me know, (blantant R&R Sport plug) since we're the only guys that bring 'em in :)
Scotty

Postby Col on Wed 22/Jan/03 10:18am

OK now its all ordered and should be DHL'ing its way to me soon. Wheres the best place to take it all to to get it built in Welly ? I thought roadworks but Oli is awaiting the arrival of his baby and isn;t working until Feb. Any recommendations ? It should be pretty simple as the BB and HS will be in it anyway so its simply transferring everything over and putting new cables on. I can;t be arsed doing it myself !
Col

Postby red ribbon roast on Wed 22/Jan/03 10:26am

Col wrote:OK now its all ordered and should be DHL'ing its way to me soon. Wheres the best place to take it all to to get it built in Welly ? I thought roadworks but Oli is awaiting the arrival of his baby and isn;t working until Feb. Any recommendations ? It should be pretty simple as the BB and HS will be in it anyway so its simply transferring everything over and putting new cables on. I can;t be arsed doing it myself !

for my 2c worth - I'm liking Muds http://www.mudcycles.co.nz
red ribbon roast

Postby michael on Wed 22/Jan/03 1:17pm

its only 8 days till feb but oli will probably be really busy when he first gets back.

oli is definately the person to go to
michael
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 22/Jan/03 4:30pm

Col, slapping it together yourself will give your bike karma a real shot in the arm... It'll feel better, and you'll understand your new baby better...

But then you might also do an arse of a job on it and have no fun... But surely you could at least try :eh:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts