Couchlove Racing -- Aussie Stylez

Postby implant on Sun 19/Apr/09 7:20pm

In view of all the successes of the bushlove team, i thought i'd share a tale from a mere mortal.

Melbourne is blessed with some great riding...if you count highballing it down beach road with a seething mass of roadies (and some ferkin bling bikes) Great Riding... So its fair to say i;ve done sweet f.a. in the last few months. A few weekend rides and the odd roadie, no hills. Sounds like a prescription for getting fat.

Yup.

So what better way to test the limits of this regimen than a leisurely 50km on the single speed.

Headed up to the Wombat trails, only one wrong freeway debacle, and found it was raining, which, in Victoria, is frankly controversial. Tons of people but a fairly well organised event. It was the 2nd BMC 100km Classic. Not feeling very classic, bit more sport class, i entered the 50km. Just wanted to test the field, check out the competition, you know. The trails at Wombat are my favourite local (read: within 1 hours drive) riding so was kind of looking forward to it, but not much.

Got into a good start position near the front with another 1x1 guy, but it didn't matter cos there was an immediate bottleneck. Felt complete arse for the first 5km. Probably something to do with anaerobic thresholds or something. I think there's something wrong with mine, i;m going to take it back.

First half of the race was mainly singletrack, with some doubletrack climbs. Aussies were struggling with the slightly greasy conditions, me being from wet-arsed wellington, i was all over it. Actually suited the singlespeed well, as the climbs were pretty fast. Was quite intense though, lots of obstacles, tree fall etc and some pretty greasy ramps and bridges to keep it interesting. Second half was a roadies smashfest, and i sucked. Caught up to the 1x1 guy, had a bit of a natter, and then he slowly gapped me with a bigger gear and 29er wheels. Ok, Bryce. Ok. Had him in the sights until the last 5km but then lost time in some singletrack and came in second singly about 1-2mins behind. Not sure how many others there were, but who cares (not me).

Stoked to get a podium. :thumbsup: So stoked i missed it (so did the other guy), but slunk up after for some stans and a ground effect voucher. 1st place got an umbrella!! It was a Ritchie one though, with a carbon fibre shaft*.

So that wasn't too bad. Hurting a bit now. Might try and do a few more local events, there's an enduro series and some winter races. Anyone wants some info on riding in Vic, drop us a PM, we've got out to a few spots now.

Chur,
Nick.
(team chuck norris/couchlove/poser sports)
implant
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Re: Couchlove Racing -- Aussie Stylez

Postby Nick_K on Sun 19/Apr/09 7:29pm

Top effort Nick.

The ridings not that bad is it? I've found the lichfield (sp?) park is good for a laugh. Was over in Melbourne last week and checking out the local shops and magazines (esp enduro) it looked like there was a reasonable endurance scene.

Anyways I'm off for a quick lap of makara.Muhahaha
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby jo on Mon 20/Apr/09 1:15am

:thumbsup: well done. :)

I done was at the same race (but 100km). :) Didnt do nearly as well tho, got pulled at 50km with timecut (lost time with an injured rider, plus the late start didnt do me any favours).

Might be keen to meet up for some riding - though I'm thinking sifty stylez not racing.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby implant on Mon 20/Apr/09 9:21am

Nick_K wrote:Top effort Nick.

The ridings not that bad is it? I've found the lichfield (sp?) park is good for a laugh. Was over in Melbourne last week and checking out the local shops and magazines (esp enduro) it looked like there was a reasonable endurance scene.

Anyways I'm off for a quick lap of makara.Muhahaha

Yeah lysterfield is ok. Kind of like burwood in chch, and is a bit closer to me, about 40mins drive. There's one big loop and the commonwealth games track, all up about 20km i think. i reckon will be better at night, quite tight and twisty. I guess I'm just missing all the welly riding, and I should probably just call a whaaaaambulance.

Actually today feeling like i might need one to get to work.... :crazy:
implant

Postby implant on Mon 20/Apr/09 9:25am

jo wrote::thumbsup: well done. :)

I done was at the same race (but 100km). :) Didnt do nearly as well tho, got pulled at 50km with timecut (lost time with an injured rider, plus the late start didnt do me any favours).

Might be keen to meet up for some riding - though I'm thinking sifty stylez not racing.

Ha -- i reckon you were maybe sitting right behind me waiting for prizegiving? On the grass kind of out in front of the food? There was a bunch of ladies who had started the 100 but not finished, and sure sounded kiwi.

But there were loads of people there, so that would be a bit of a coinkidink.

Where are you based? Me and the wife are in Caulfield South. Hoping to get a regular wed or thurs nightride going, and would be good to get a few peeps together for a few of the local 'races' too.

cheers

nick
implant

Postby rockit on Mon 20/Apr/09 9:42am

Trying to remember if you guys have met - Nick, Jo used to come out on the Wed night rides with us occasionally. She was part of the 'B' team last year..
rockit
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby jo on Mon 20/Apr/09 12:01pm

I didnt hang around for prizegiving. :)

I'm in Kensington (Flemington). Id be keen for night rides or hanging out at the races. :) I'll PM you my contact details. :)
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Australia | Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Melbourne | Mountain Biking | Regions | Singlespeed | Victoria - Latest Posts