Calendar Event: March 22, 2008

Should the Santa Cruz Heckler be a spot prize or a performance prize?

Spot prize
88%
Performance prize
12%

Total voters : 41

Postby kingkong7 on Tue 18/Mar/08 6:14pm

start lists?? whos gonna win.
kingkong7
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby JamesH on Tue 18/Mar/08 7:08pm

Yes, i expect both courses will carry on past the golf course and up past the ponds. Meeting with Forestry tomorrow to confirm.

Whoes going to win. I am picking a local who knows the area well, with an mtb skills back ground over roadie. In saying that a lot of out town interest from some serious qrters has come in the final week !!
JamesH
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby onyabike on Tue 18/Mar/08 7:17pm

JamesH wrote: Yeap, were taking those through to the coppermine link, bounced out of the back pack. Thanks will collect on Friday. Where they this side of the 4 way jnctn ?

yes they were. just before the steep little drop down
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby JUANGEAR on Tue 18/Mar/08 8:39pm

I managed to get my entry in while up at the Oceanias....Phew, thanks captain Stylie!!!

I have some rage to lay down on the track as I had a bit of a mare on the center of nz track in the weekend...

I was gonna run my 2.0 Larsen tt's as my tyre of choice for the season so far...but they recently jumped off the rim so I'm a bit dubious...This whole rock garden thing has got me thinking ust thoughts...and reccomendations from the Nelsonians???

If all goes well I will have another successful snapper fishing day at least :) Nelson rocks!!!
JUANGEAR
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby JamesH on Tue 18/Mar/08 9:04pm

Yep, and the forecast is looking good, sunshine all week as u would expect for Nelson.

Tyres, i cant figure these 1.8, 1.7 some are running,..saw what hapen to those 1st hand in the Karapoti = flats. Boulder valley i suggest you need something in the order of 2 to 2.1, and UST is not a bad idea. I run 2.1 Kenda Nevagals with stans on UST rims. Have done endless working B's on the course and runs down boulder valley,...no flats yet. I am sure these have been super seeded, but they just dont seem to fail + roll fast, corner and brake well. This section definately has pinch flat potential. I hope i didnt put the Hx on these now !!
Last edited by JamesH on Tue 18/Mar/08 9:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
JamesH

Postby JUANGEAR on Tue 18/Mar/08 9:11pm

cooolllll, yeah for sunny Nelson.

I will surely stick with big volume and highish pressure...

I'm riding it on my YETI asr...100mm both ends, because we all know xc races are won on the uphills....sometimes lost on the downhills..

Chris Burr will probably come along on a Nomad with big travel domination....Or Laurence Mote on his new Heckler....Just to show us xc geeks how to do it...
JUANGEAR
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Jono on Tue 18/Mar/08 10:59pm

I'll be running my 2.55 WTB Weirwolf LT(fr)'s. Damned fine rolling, pretty good weight for a 2.55 (730g per tyre). Pretty fine grip on hard pack as well.

What I'm looking for though is some indication on the amount of climbing to get you up to the top of the course. Any hints?

I know it's going to hurt on a 42 pound bike anyway, but I'm just looking for an indication of scale of hurt...
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby free_rider21 on Wed 19/Mar/08 8:07am

I dont know the route to top of tantragee but the saddle is only 180 so that wont be too bad. Then its 5km of really easy riding along dun mt walkway. I cant really comment on climbing up finge classic.
<center><a
free_rider21
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby JamesH on Wed 19/Mar/08 8:09am

Compared to something in Wellington, the climb up the classic to the top of Fringed Hill is much like the doppers climb in the Karapoti. Or maybe like riding up the old roller coaster to the top of the wind turbine. Plus with a few more small grunts into BDRidge. Easy !!
JamesH

Postby Jono on Wed 19/Mar/08 9:18am

JamesH wrote: Compared to something in Wellington, the climb up the classic to the top of Fringed Hill is much like the doppers climb in the Karapoti. Or maybe like riding up the old roller coaster to the top of the wind turbine. Plus with a few more small grunts into BDRidge. Easy !!

Ok - I can handle that. In fact, I do on a reasonably regular basis. Hell - even rode all of dopers (on the 'free) a couple of weeks back.

I'm really looking forward to this weekend...I hope to get a run down peaking ridge, and maybe something else while I'm down there.
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby 98percentCAULIFLOUR on Wed 19/Mar/08 4:27pm

JamesH wrote: Yes, i expect both courses will carry on past the golf course and up past the ponds. Meeting with Forestry tomorrow to confirm.

Nelson MTB website says that fireball is open on the weekends. Does that mean the Epic goes up golf course rd and over fireball and the enduro goes up past the ponds??
98percentCAULIFLOUR
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby JamesH on Wed 19/Mar/08 8:14pm

Still expect both courses to go via the pounds assuming there is no work in the area prior to Saturday.
JamesH

Entries On The Day Okay

Postby JamesH on Fri 21/Mar/08 11:04am

ENTRIES WILL BE AVAILABLE ON THE DAY.

HOWEVER IF YOU CAN EMAIL YOUR DETAILS IN ADVANCE WOULD BE HELPFUL info@coppermine.co.nz
JamesH

Postby mtnkiwiishere on Sat 22/Mar/08 5:27pm

Great race, fast, technical, hard. Good to see Todd Blackadder out there riding too. Nice one James!
mtnkiwiishere
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Heckles on Sat 22/Mar/08 10:38pm

results?
Heckles
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Events | Mountain Biking | News - Latest Posts