Calendar Event: March 22, 2008

Should the Santa Cruz Heckler be a spot prize or a performance prize?

Spot prize
88%
Performance prize
12%

Total voters : 41

Postby free_rider21 on Sun 9/Mar/08 6:55pm

Did this today. Fair bit of bike carrying from coppermine saddle down. And boulder valley is very technical. Going to be a fair few injuries on race day.
free_rider21
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Jono on Sun 9/Mar/08 8:26pm

free_rider21 wrote: Did this today. Fair bit of bike carrying from coppermine saddle down. And boulder valley is very technical. Going to be a fair few injuries on race day.

...which is why I'm taking the 'free. Nothing like being passed on an uphill to get my revenge with mass-and-gravity-assisted descending :sly:

Mind you, there is 900m of climbing, which isn't insignificant in itself. Especially with a 42 pound bike. Still - most of my weekday night rides have about 1000m of climbing in them, so it shouldn't be out of my range...
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby free_rider21 on Sun 9/Mar/08 9:17pm

Jono wrote:
free_rider21 wrote: Did this today. Fair bit of bike carrying from coppermine saddle down. And boulder valley is very technical. Going to be a fair few injuries on race day.

...which is why I'm taking the 'free. Nothing like being passed on an uphill to get my revenge with mass-and-gravity-assisted descending :sly:

Mind you, there is 900m of climbing, which isn't insignificant in itself. Especially with a 42 pound bike. Still - most of my weekday night rides have about 1000m of climbing in them, so it shouldn't be out of my range...

Are you doing expert or enduro.

Think the perfect bike would be a stumpy, trance x, heckler or something in that category (with a bash guard). Something that will climb well but is comfortable descending. The descent is rocky so dont know if a dh bike would make it that much easier than a am bike.

Edit

My splits for dun mt walkway are both 30 mins roughly on my 36 pound dh/trail hardtail.
What sort time could i expect on a stumpy, reign, trance x sort of bike and what time on a xc machine like an xtc? Cheers
free_rider21
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby 98percentCAULIFLOUR on Mon 10/Mar/08 8:45am

Well I am doing it on an 11kg XC bike, the descent WILL be interesting
98percentCAULIFLOUR
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby Jono on Mon 10/Mar/08 9:20am

free_rider21 wrote:Are you doing expert or enduro.

Expert. Given that I'm not going for the win, I might as well get in as much singletrack as possible.

Hmmm...maybe my goal should be to beat stylie? Anyways. I rode Karapoti on it a couple of weeks ago, which was ok (I kinda broke myself when I decided to see if I could climb all of dopers (yes, I could)). And I've ridden both of Croesus and Kirwans on it, and they're bigger climbs

Think the perfect bike would be a stumpy, trance x, heckler or something in that category (with a bash guard). Something that will climb well but is comfortable descending. The descent is rocky so dont know if a dh bike would make it that much easier than a am bike.

Edit

My splits for dun mt walkway are both 30 mins roughly on my 36 pound dh/trail hardtail.
What sort time could i expect on a stumpy, reign, trance x sort of bike and what time on a xc machine like an xtc? Cheers

Yep - although, as I've told many people, I know that intellectually a nomad is the right bike for me. But emotionally riding a 'free is better. I've got the extra 2" of stupid-riding insurance, and I get to smile at people as I ride past them on a 42 pound bike.

Hopefully it stays dry for the race though - I've got my 2.55" freeride semislicks (WTB Weirwolf LT FRs) on at the moment, and I'm loving them. But they hate mud...
Jono

Postby Slim on Mon 10/Mar/08 10:28am

Jono wrote: Yep - although, as I've told many people, I know that intellectually a nomad is the right bike for me. But emotionally riding a 'free is better. I've got the extra 2" of stupid-riding insurance, and I get to smile at people as I ride past them on a 42 pound bike.

I thought the nomad was only for people that don't ride :eh:

and your still a sick bastard for riding the VP everywhere :lol:
Slim
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby Jono on Mon 10/Mar/08 11:20am

Slim wrote: and your still a sick bastard for riding the VP everywhere :lol:

Well we went and rode skyline (out to j'ville, up to the top of kaukau, back along the ridgeline to makara, and then back home via the karori bmx track) yesterday. And mike did it on his blindside (big transition thingie with boxxers). And much of the road stuff out to j'ville was in his 40 tooth ring.

He's the real legend (or sick bastard, I suppose)
Jono

Which Bike !!

Postby JamesH on Tue 11/Mar/08 10:37am

It’s a tough call ! Go for total plush and treat it as a trail ride. Or do the XC speed thing. Initially I was going to do it on my 140mm trail bike and enjoy all the down hills a tad more. After doing a few too many practice loops have now switched to the 100m xc fully. I take Boulder Valley a bit slower and smoother, but that’s probably highly recommend anyway. Think I will be racing the course on the XC come Saturday. Either way there is something in this course for all. Hey there are people out there doing the whole thing on rigid single speeds, and are prob even on for a podium finish !!……. Don’t Forget entries close this Friday 14th.
JamesH
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Drail on Tue 11/Mar/08 12:15pm

I'm planning on going up from CHCH to do it but because of other easter commitments I can't give it too much time. So I'm thinking of going up Friday evening and coming back on Sat evening.
Driving megamission I know but I'm keen as to do it!

Is anyone keen to join me and share fuel costs? Will be pretty cheap as it's a Holden............... Barina!!!

PM me...

Cheers

Daryl
Drail
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Reuben on Wed 12/Mar/08 4:33pm

my mate did the track last thursday in the worst conditions out in 2:55!
Reuben
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Entry Close Off Extended

Postby JamesH on Fri 14/Mar/08 3:22pm

ENTRIES NOW REMAIN OPEN UNTIL THE RACE LIMIT HAS BEEN REACHED
JamesH

Postby JamesH on Sat 15/Mar/08 8:05pm

Rode Black Diamond Ridge on Friday, ...it's riding really fast and dry like cornflakes !! You going love this section. The classic climb is also in great nic. Did my fastest times all summer on both these sections . Heading out tomorrow to finish clearing the new link off Coppermine. Bring on Saturday !! Suggest you dont miss this one, remember entries now remain open until we are full.
JamesH

Postby onyabike on Tue 18/Mar/08 1:59pm

rode thru the black-d ridge yesterday. looks like it's been getting a lot of use. saw a pair a loppers leaning up against a tree if someones lost some?
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby JamesH on Tue 18/Mar/08 4:06pm

Yeap, were taking those through to the coppermine link, bounced out of the back pack. Thanks will collect on Friday. Where they this side of the 4 way jnctn ?
JamesH

Postby 98percentCAULIFLOUR on Tue 18/Mar/08 4:27pm

Do both courses now go up the valley rather than over fireball now becasue of the logging?
98percentCAULIFLOUR
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Events | Mountain Biking | News - Latest Posts