Cop Who Took Out Motorcyclists On Buller Gorge Found Guilty

Postby Tama on Mon 30/Mar/09 2:25pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2301604 ... ty-verdict wrote:A former police officer who did a three-point-turn on a bend in the Upper Buller Gorge has today been found guilty of two counts of dangerous driving causing injury.

Anthony Dale Bridgman had been on trial in the Nelson District Court having denied the counts, which were laid following a crash on State Highway 6 on December 1, 2007.

Bridgman, who was a Blenheim-based highway patrol sergeant, retired last December after 33 years of service.

The jury of eight women and four men took just under an hour to deliver the verdicts.

Judge Tony Zohrab this morning summed up the case for the jury, and urged them to put aside any sympathy they felt for the accused or the seriously injured motorcyclists.

He said the Crown's case had been that Bridgman clocked a motorcyclist travelling at 125kmh towards Westport.

Bridgman decided to pursue the motorcyclist and started doing a three-point-turn, which was when the collision happened.

The crown's case had been that it was dangerous to do a three point turn on that section of road, and Bridgman's actions had presented a real risk to the public.

Judge Zohrab said the defence case had been that the two motorcyclists were speeding and so unable to stop when they saw the patrol car. They would not have crashed into the car if they had been abiding by the law.

Judge Zohrab remanded Bridgman to May 26 for sentence.

I don't know whether to feel sorry for the cop or not. I'm sure that at the time he thought he was doing his job. To end 33 years on the force with something like this is a pretty rough way to go out.
2301849.jpg
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Re: Cop Who Took Out Cyclists On Buller Gorge Found Guilty

Postby ants06 on Mon 30/Mar/09 2:44pm

It is rough after all he prob got a shock when he saw the bikes coming , But then looks like a dumb place to u-turn as well.
But then if the 1st bike wasn't speeding it wouldn't have happened ( well prob ).

** the jury was sexist 8 woman 4 guys - call a retrial :paranoid: ** <---im being a ass :blush:
ants06
"Google first muppet"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby happybaboon on Mon 30/Mar/09 2:49pm

I think it's especially stink if the bikes that hit him were speeding and would have been able to stop in the distance if they were travelling at the speed limit...

But then I 'spose the stopping distance for swanky looking sports bikes like those is probably quite short, and if it had been a bigass SUV that rounded the corner at the speed limit then that might have hit him... So yeah, probably a dangerous place to do a U-turn. Still sympathise with him though. Hope they go easy on him when sentencing.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Cop Who Took Out Motorcyclists On Buller Gorge Found Guilty

Postby xcwander on Mon 30/Mar/09 2:52pm

Agree they probably could have hauled up quickly. So did they also get charged with excess speed etc...
xcwander
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby ants06 on Mon 30/Mar/09 2:56pm

happybaboon wrote:the stopping distance for swanky looking sports bikes like those is probably quite short

It ( the one on the right ) was a Ducati so yea id say it could have stopped fairly fast --but that's speculation
ants06
"Google first muppet"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Joel on Mon 30/Mar/09 3:09pm

the cops was lucky it was not a big 4wd drive or truck. it was a completely fucked up place to turn, my understand is that they have no proof that the two motor bikes who hit him were speeding that was just speculation on behalf of the defense.

at the end of the day, he made the mistake and wil be held to account just like any other motorist.

what he should have done, was a handbrake turn.. dukes of hazard styles
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Tama on Mon 30/Mar/09 3:13pm

Joel wrote:the cops was lucky it was not a big 4wd drive or truck. it was a completely fucked up place to turn, my understand is that they have no proof that the two motor bikes who hit him were speeding that was just speculation on behalf of the defense.

at the end of the day, he made the mistake and wil be held to account just like any other motorist.

what he should have done, was a handbrake turn.. dukes of hazard styles

Or he should of been issued with one of these to use on the original speeding motorcyclists: http://technabob.com/blog/2008/03/16/we ... ike-flies/ :thumbsup:

Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby chchbob on Mon 30/Mar/09 3:29pm

Tama wrote:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2301604 ... ty-verdict wrote:Judge Zohrab said the defence case had been that the two motorcyclists were speeding and so unable to stop when they saw the patrol car. They would not have crashed into the car if they had been abiding by the law.

As per Joel's understanding, no evidence of the motorcycles speeding, just what the defence claims. Defence lawyers usually claim it is everyone else's fault bar their clients.
chchbob
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby ShoreBoy on Mon 30/Mar/09 3:34pm

It was definitely an unfortunate collision, and I do feel sorry for the officer, but as has already been said, at the end of the day, his actions have resulted in a crash in which people were injured. Any member of the public would have faced charges, and a police Officer is still just a driver, like everyone else.

Without evidence of these bikes speeding, it's a pretty weak defense I'm afraid. But I do hope the unusual circumstances are considered in sentencing.
ShoreBoy
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby businesstime on Mon 30/Mar/09 4:00pm

ShoreBoy wrote:It was definitely an unfortunate collision, and I do feel sorry for the officer, but as has already been said, at the end of the day, his actions have resulted in a crash in which people were injured. Any member of the public would have faced charges, and a police Officer is still just a driver, like everyone else.

Without evidence of these bikes speeding, it's a pretty weak defense I'm afraid. But I do hope the unusual circumstances are considered in sentencing.

Id say 33 years of road Policing and his knowledge of estimating speed was a good defence. But not good enough to convince a jury. If you find yourself in the shit but have a good defence then run with it. What pisses me off is people who tie up the courts in NZ with no defence or a pitiful one at that. Anotonie DIxon was probably the classic one for that. He was taking the piss really and seemed to purposely waste the taxpayers money. Clearly he was the offender but time and time again he appealed then reappealed, retrial etc etc. And still on the last occasion when he was found guilty his lawyer still said they wanted to challenge certain things and lodge another appeal....dixon must have thought otherwise about a week later and took matters into his own hands.....
businesstime
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby j2hyde on Mon 30/Mar/09 4:05pm

Is there anywhere in the Buller Gorge that is safe to do a U turn?
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Spyder on Mon 30/Mar/09 4:44pm

j2hyde wrote:Is there anywhere in the Buller Gorge that is safe to do a U turn?

Yep, Murchison or Inangahua ;)
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 30/Mar/09 5:03pm

ants06 wrote:It is rough after all he prob got a shock when he saw the bikes coming , But then looks like a dumb place to u-turn as well.
But then if the 1st bike wasn't speeding it wouldn't have happened ( well prob ).

** the jury was sexist 8 woman 4 guys - call a retrial :paranoid: ** <---im being a ass :blush:

twat.

speed is not dangerous.

sudden stops are dangerous, such as those caused by fuckwits parking their cars crossways in your lane.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 30/Mar/09 5:08pm

j2hyde wrote:Is there anywhere in the Buller Gorge that is safe to do a U turn?

indeed. You could pull off into a couple of the paddler get-ins but of course if your main focus is on issuing a speeding ticket to meet your quota, then road safety is a very distant concern.

See people, here is the lie exposed. The lie is that "speed kills" or "speed is dangerous". That is in fact demonstrably not correct.

If so, our Prime Munster would have been killed transiting the canterbury plains, instead of sitting in the back of a limousine I provide sucking back gin and having her snatch tweezed by a flunky.

Or in this instance: these guys were PERFECTLY safe except this fuckwit decided issuing a $200 speeding ticket was more important than anything else.

When I rule you all*, there will be no speed limits and if found guilty like this fuckwit has been, you will be given the bill for the treatment of the two injured parties, their bikes, the salaries they made, the cost of the medevac, then put to work in a salt mine until it was paid, then once the debt was paid, shot and pushed into a shallow grave.

*and I will.
Henry Dorset Case

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 30/Mar/09 5:10pm

businesstime wrote:
ShoreBoy wrote:It was definitely an unfortunate collision, and I do feel sorry for the officer, but as has already been said, at the end of the day, his actions have resulted in a crash in which people were injured. Any member of the public would have faced charges, and a police Officer is still just a driver, like everyone else.

Id say 33 years of road Policing and his knowledge of estimating speed was a good defence. But not good enough to convince a jury. If you find yourself in the shit but have a good defence then run with it. What pisses me off is people who tie up the courts in NZ with no defence or a pitiful one at that. Anotonie DIxon was probably the classic one for that. He was taking the piss really and seemed to purposely waste the taxpayers money. Clearly he was the offender but time and time again he appealed then reappealed, retrial etc etc. And still on the last occasion when he was found guilty his lawyer still said they wanted to challenge certain things and lodge another appeal....dixon must have thought otherwise about a week later and took matters into his own hands.....

You're hilarious. Pray continue.
Henry Dorset Case

Crime | Motorcycles | Motoring | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting | Upper South Island - Latest Posts