Re: Cop Who Took Out Motorcyclists On Buller Gorge Found Guilty

Postby businesstime on Tue 31/Mar/09 9:06am

Spokes wrote:I do feel for the Cop. He was in the wrong and its stuffed his life. But I doubt he intended to hurt the motorcyclists.

But I feel more sorry for the riders that from memory got very messed up.

I wonder how this would have played out if it was not a cop that did the u-turn but a joe average.

Probably the only difference that it would have made is that it woulndt be in the headlines and we wouldnt be discussing it on this thread. People are injured every day in crashes all around the country.
businesstime
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby sidlomavpa on Tue 31/Mar/09 9:13am

nz_kgb wrote: four wheels braking stop a lot quicker than two!

Rubbish, there are many other factors influencing stopping distance.

It is not a simple case of "four wheels good, two wheels bad..."
sidlomavpa
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby nz_kgb on Tue 31/Mar/09 9:19am

sidlomavpa wrote:

Hence the reason that I wrote all the other things in my post.
nz_kgb
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby nostromo on Tue 31/Mar/09 9:24am

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/roadco ... imits.html

You can drive at any speed under or equal to the limit, provided:

(blah blah)
- you can stop in the length of clear lane you can see in front of you on a road with a centre line or lanes.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby onyabike on Tue 31/Mar/09 9:31am

I don't understand why he didn't plead guilty instead of trying to defend. I mean after 33years on the job he should know how dangerous a u-turn in that situation could be.
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

nz_kgb
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby Monolith on Tue 31/Mar/09 9:35am

nostromo wrote:http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/roadcode/about-limits/speed-limits.html

(blah blah)
- you can stop in the length of clear lane you can see in front of you on a road with a centre line or lanes.

Then the speed limit on Buller Gorge (And 50% of NZ roads) should be 40kph.
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 31/Mar/09 9:40am

nostromo wrote:I don't get it, your supposed to drive/ride at a speed that allows you to stop in the visible distance ahead. He didn't turn in front of them, he was already across the road when they came around the corner travelling too fast to stop.

the issue here is this idiot turned in front of them. Its quite apparent from the pictures that (look at where the impact of the bike at front is, vs where the car stopped vs where the bike is.

You tell me how on a two lane road and you have a clear road ahead in your lane then a fucktard in a car coming the other way for no good reason turns in front of you how you can stop in "half the clear road ahead". What you are doing is attempting to blame the victim.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 31/Mar/09 9:40am

Monolith wrote:
nostromo wrote:http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/roadcode/about-limits/speed-limits.html

(blah blah)

riiiiiiiiight because speed is the problem here, not a fuckwit in a uniform more interested in meeting a ticket quota than road safety. Wake up dumbass.
Henry Dorset Case

Postby Monolith on Tue 31/Mar/09 9:42am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
Monolith wrote:

(blah blah)

riiiiiiiiight because speed is the problem here, not a fuckwit in a uniform more interested in meeting a ticket quota than road safety. Wake up dumbass.

I was taking the piss you fuckin retard. ;)
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby sidlomavpa on Tue 31/Mar/09 9:47am

nz_kgb wrote:
sidlomavpa wrote:

Hence the reason that I wrote all the other things in my post.

But no reference to vehicle weight, tyre width, pressure, temp, tread, braking surface, prevailing wind, religious beliefs, star sign or favourite foods......... :thumbsup:
sidlomavpa
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby nostromo on Tue 31/Mar/09 9:48am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
nostromo wrote:I don't get it, your supposed to drive/ride at a speed that allows you to stop in the visible distance ahead. He didn't turn in front of them, he was already across the road when they came around the corner travelling too fast to stop.

the issue here is this idiot turned in front of them. Its quite apparent from the pictures that (look at where the impact of the bike at front is, vs where the car stopped vs where the bike is.

You tell me how on a two lane road and you have a clear road ahead in your lane then a fucktard in a car coming the other way for no good reason turns in front of you how you can stop in "half the clear road ahead". What you are doing is attempting to blame the victim.

Thats not the way I understood it, if he did turn in front of them then he is clearly in the wrong, if he was already there when they came around the corner then its the motorcyclists fault.
nostromo

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 31/Mar/09 9:55am

nostromo wrote:
Henry Dorset Case wrote:

Thats not the way I understood it, if he did turn in front of them then he is clearly in the wrong, if he was already there when they came around the corner then its the motorcyclists fault.

bzzzzzzzzzzt wrong, but thanks for playing.

good thing you werent on the jury, huh?
Henry Dorset Case

Postby nostromo on Tue 31/Mar/09 10:09am

"prosecutors said the pair first saw the turning patrol car as they rounded a bend, 120 metres away, and had only 4.4 seconds before hitting the vehicle."

:crazy:
Regardless, these are the supposed facts from the prosecution - 120 metres? 4.4 seconds?
A plain old car like a Maxima can stop from 100 Kmhr in 43 Metres.
I could bake some cheese scones in 4.4 seconds. Or at least get the cheese out and the grater.
nostromo

Postby philstar on Tue 31/Mar/09 10:47am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:Thats not the way I understood it, if he did turn in front of them then he is clearly in the wrong, if he was already there when they came around the corner then its the motorcyclists fault.

bzzzzzzzzzzt wrong, but thanks for playing.[/quote]

if there was a car stopped there for some legitimate reason (eg there was traffic backed up from another accident or something) they still would of hit it, therefore they were speeding (even if they were doing less than 100). but it was still a dumb place to do a uturn.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Crime | Motorcycles | Motoring | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting | Upper South Island - Latest Posts