Re: Cop Who Took Out Motorcyclists On Buller Gorge Found Guilty

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 30/Mar/09 5:12pm

Joel wrote:it was a completely fucked up place to turn, my understand is that they have no proof that the two motor bikes who hit him were speeding that was just speculation on behalf of the defense.

indeed. not only that, they were coming straight towards him. It is very difficult indeed to estimate the speed of something approaching.

oh, and speed is not dangerous.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby businesstime on Mon 30/Mar/09 5:15pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
j2hyde wrote:Is there anywhere in the Buller Gorge that is safe to do a U turn?

indeed. You could pull off into a couple of the paddler get-ins but of course if your main focus is on issuing a speeding ticket to meet your quota, then road safety is a very distant concern.

See people, here is the lie exposed. The lie is that "speed kills" or "speed is dangerous". That is in fact demonstrably not correct.

If so, our Prime Munster would have been killed transiting the canterbury plains, instead of sitting in the back of a limousine I provide sucking back gin and having her snatch tweezed by a flunky.

Or in this instance: these guys were PERFECTLY safe except this fuckwit decided issuing a $200 speeding ticket was more important than anything else.

When I rule you all*, there will be no speed limits and if found guilty like this fuckwit has been, you will be given the bill for the treatment of the two injured parties, their bikes, the salaries they made, the cost of the medevac, then put to work in a salt mine until it was paid, then once the debt was paid, shot and pushed into a shallow grave.

*and I will.

Are you related to that guy in the indian cricket team ? Heza Coksarker ?? Or are you in fact him ?
businesstime
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 30/Mar/09 5:29pm

businesstime wrote:Are you related to that guy in the indian cricket team ? Heza Coksarker ?? Or are you in fact him ?

no, I find cricket confusing. But thanks for asking.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby nostromo on Mon 30/Mar/09 9:17pm

I don't get it, your supposed to drive/ride at a speed that allows you to stop in the visible distance ahead. He didn't turn in front of them, he was already across the road when they came around the corner travelling too fast to stop.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby businesstime on Mon 30/Mar/09 10:08pm

nostromo wrote:I don't get it, your supposed to drive/ride at a speed that allows you to stop in the visible distance ahead. He didn't turn in front of them, he was already across the road when they came around the corner travelling too fast to stop.

Yep....its got "appeal" written all over it.
businesstime
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby RussS on Mon 30/Mar/09 10:37pm

nostromo wrote:I don't get it, your supposed to drive/ride at a speed that allows you to stop in the visible distance ahead. He didn't turn in front of them, he was already across the road when they came around the corner travelling too fast to stop.

In that case, most New Zelanders break the law when driving at or near the posted speed limit.
RussS
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby nostromo on Mon 30/Mar/09 10:51pm

RussS wrote:

In that case, most New Zelanders break the law when driving at or near the posted speed limit.

Look at the picture, after the accident there is now a crashed car and two bikes in the same place as he was originally doing the uturn. If every other person was driving at the same speed as those two fools, a whole load of other vehicles would've subsequently piled into the accident site. And that didn't happen.

The way I see it is that what happened is they were out fanging along on their expensive bikes treating the road like their personal playground, putting the rest of us at risk and they caused an accident and now the rest of us have gotta pick up the tab.
nostromo

Postby Oli on Mon 30/Mar/09 10:52pm

You don't think that that possibility was mooted in court? :eh:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby RJM on Tue 31/Mar/09 5:58am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
j2hyde wrote:Is there anywhere in the Buller Gorge that is safe to do a U turn?

indeed. You could pull off into a couple of the paddler get-ins but of course if your main focus is on issuing a speeding ticket to meet your quota, then road safety is a very distant concern.

See people, here is the lie exposed. The lie is that "speed kills" or "speed is dangerous". That is in fact demonstrably not correct.

If so, our Prime Munster would have been killed transiting the canterbury plains, instead of sitting in the back of a limousine I provide sucking back gin and having her snatch tweezed by a flunky.

Or in this instance: these guys were PERFECTLY safe except this fuckwit decided issuing a $200 speeding ticket was more important than anything else.

When I rule you all*, there will be no speed limits and if found guilty like this fuckwit has been, you will be given the bill for the treatment of the two injured parties, their bikes, the salaries they made, the cost of the medevac, then put to work in a salt mine until it was paid, then once the debt was paid, shot and pushed into a shallow grave.

*and I will.

Dam straight !! Instead of having the courage to front and apologise this ex (fortunately 'ex') decided to mount this lame defence which the jury clearly didn't believe - hope they throw the book at the gutless sod. Those that disgree think about this for a moment - what would you have thought if the circumstances of this offence had been reversed.
RJM
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 31/Mar/09 6:59am

:) My wife and I rode up there on our Honeymoon on my sports/touring m/bike....and there are places to turn around.

:( Sad for the guys - terrible injuries and mashed bikes, loss on income, hard for families etc and a very sad end to 33 years Policing for the cop.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"

Postby james on Tue 31/Mar/09 7:14am

The charge was dangerous driving causing injury, it wasn't dangerous driving causing injury when possibly speeding motorbikes are around.
james
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Spokes on Tue 31/Mar/09 7:43am

I do feel for the Cop. He was in the wrong and its stuffed his life. But I doubt he intended to hurt the motorcyclists.

But I feel more sorry for the riders that from memory got very messed up.

I wonder how this would have played out if it was not a cop that did the u-turn but a joe average.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby RJM on Tue 31/Mar/09 7:53am

Spokes wrote:I do feel for the Cop. He was in the wrong and its stuffed his life. But I doubt he intended to hurt the motorcyclists.

But I feel more sorry for the riders that from memory got very messed up.

I wonder how this would have played out if it was not a cop that did the u-turn but a joe average.

My thoughts exactly.
RJM

Postby nostromo on Tue 31/Mar/09 8:51am

Oli wrote:You don't think that that possibility was mooted in court? :eh:

Nup. His defense was lame.
I'm wondering what would happen if it was a broken down car in the lane with something like a siezed transmission or some similar situation where a car had come to be there inadvertantly. The same accident would happen but who would be at fault then? Would the law see no-one at fault, or this time would the motorcyclists be at fault? Or would the person who's car it was be at fault even if they had taken all possible actions to get it off the road?
nostromo

Postby nz_kgb on Tue 31/Mar/09 8:58am

Hey guys, we were at the scene of this after heli - mountain biking down at Kirwans for the day - got delayed for quite a few hours while they cleaned up the road.

This is a road that I travelled a lot for work so I know it quite well.
There is absolutely no way that I would ever consider doing a 3-point turn where this Police officer did - there is just not enough visibility - in either direction.

To his credit, the Police officer was very shaken at the site as he contemplated the injuries caused by his actions.
We have no way of knowing if the two motorbikes were speeding - I believe that even if they had been travelling at the legal limit they would have struggled to stop. Where the police car was on the road was just after a left hand bend, which the motorbikes would have been lent over into. To aovid the car they had to come upright then dump the bike to the right, all within a very short period of time - milliseconds. Try this on your own mountain/road bike sometime and see how you go.

They would not have been expecting a vehicle to be parked there and therefore had no time to react. To say that the vehicles following had plenty of time to react and stop, therefore the motorbikes were speeding is so completely stupid it's not funny. If you have ever witnessed an accident, you would know how quickly you can stop as adrenaline kicks in! Also, the vehicles following were cars, four wheels braking stop a lot quicker than two!

If this was anyone else other than a Police officer, we would fully expect them to be charged with a similar offence. He made a poor judgement, acted on it and caused an accident. Whilst he did not intend to affect the lives of these two men forever, there was a consequence of his actions and he has been asked by society to pay for it.

Well done to the jury in this case, it is unfortunate that all three men and their families have been affected by this accident but I am sure lessons have been learnt by all.
nz_kgb
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Crime | Motorcycles | Motoring | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting | Upper South Island - Latest Posts