Converting Trance Front Ring From X3 To X1 Advice

Postby jimzenglish on Thu 22/Jan/15 10:05am

I'm converting my Giant Trance from a 9x rear, 3x front to at 9x rear 1x front configuration. I've gone 32 in the front and 11-36 in the rear which is wider than my previous 12-34 I had on there. I'm getting a bash guard on the front but my question is to anyone who's done a similar conversion is should I get a chain tensioner put on the front too? Anyone with experience in this and how reliable the chain is?
jimzenglish
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Re: Converting Trance Front Ring From X3 To X1 Advice

Postby Conners on Thu 22/Jan/15 11:54am

Look into the following:
1. Narrow wide chainring
2. Clutch derailleur.

With these two things, you shouldn't need any kind of chain retention device. Or so the marketing machines lead me to believe I'm told.

Plenty of guys on here running 1x setups (and machining narrow-wide rings) who will be along shortly to give good advice.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 22/Jan/15 11:55am

Some kind of chainguide or a narrow-wide chainring will help.
Even a chainring designed for SS / DH use with no ramps or pins will hold the chain better than your old middle-of-3x 32t 'ring.

I suspect the Trance has no ISCG mounts? So a narrow-wide is the easier option.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby RugbySucks on Thu 22/Jan/15 12:09pm

Just converted my Kona King Kahuna (hard tail) to 1x10. Originally came with 3x10.
Running a ridgid carbon front fork still.
I have just been careful with making sure that the front chainring is an E13 guide ring, and the chain line is not biased to either low(36T) or high (11T).
The chain is cut as short as it will go, currently running a 33T front, but still allowing a 34T front ring.
I haven't used a clutch derailleur.
I've ridden it around Belmont hills, and down Bull Run at a good pace, with no problems.

I did have the odd issue initially with the chain, and was considering a clutch derailleur, but as soon as i trimmed the chain shorter, problem went away.

Cheers
RugbySucks
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby jimzenglish on Thu 22/Jan/15 4:43pm

Thanks for the info, I've gone for a narrow-wide 32 front ring. The clutch derailleur sounds also like a great idea, I'm going to see how the narrow-wide chain ring goes first as my current derailleur is in good shape and the new clutch derailleurs are alot more expensive.

Thanks! :)
jimzenglish

Postby wachtourak on Thu 22/Jan/15 6:27pm

You can't* get a 9 speed clutch derailleur

*You can however, mod a 10sp shimano clutch derailleur to work with a 9sp sram shifter, if you happen to be running sram 9sp at the moment - http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomme ... did=148662
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby jimzenglish on Thu 22/Jan/15 10:52pm

wachtourak wrote:You can't* get a 9 speed clutch derailleur
*You can however, mod a 10sp shimano clutch derailleur to work with a 9sp sram shifter, if you happen to be running sram 9sp at the moment - http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomme ... did=148662

No not running a sram setup so hopefully won't need the clutch derailleur and narrow wide chainring does the job.
jimzenglish

Postby foremannz on Fri 23/Jan/15 7:02am

I did the same with a 32t narrow-wide chain ring, but as my derailleur got older, the chain started coming off (2 drops in 10 minutes a month ago), so for now the front derailleur serves as a chain guide until I order a chain guide ...
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby jimzenglish on Sun 1/Feb/15 12:39pm

foremannz wrote:I did the same with a 32t narrow-wide chain ring, but as my derailleur got older, the chain started coming off (2 drops in 10 minutes a month ago), so for now the front derailleur serves as a chain guide until I order a chain guide ...

yea I can see that happening, I'm having to do some playing around with chain tension etc at the moment to stop it coming off the front. I think a front chain guide will be necessary over time but that's all good.
jimzenglish

Postby musta on Mon 2/Feb/15 9:29am

I would consider just going 1x10, a chain guide will set you back nearly just as much as a 10 speed set up.
you will need a clutch deraileur eventually if you go no guide.
you won't look back.
I managed to get a narrow wide, xt cassette, slx deraileur, kmc chain and a zee shifter for $250 shipped from wiggle/merlin cycles.
musta
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Conclusion After Going From 3x 9 Speed To 1x 9 Speed

Postby jimzenglish on Sat 14/Feb/15 6:28pm

I ended up sticking with a 9 speed system, it's cheaper than changing over to a 10 speed setup and 9 speed chains and cassettes are more durable than their ten speed counterparts. Up until this change I've been still using my original 9 speed setup that came with bike as new, and I've never had a chain break. Can't say the same for my mates with 10 speed systems, they wear faster and are less reliable.
So front derailleur and shifter removed, new rear wide ratio 11-36 cassette, chain, Hope WN 32 front chainring, Blackspire bashguard installed. Still using original 9 speed rear derailleur. On first ride got alot of dropped chains so removed some links to increase chain tension and a troublesome plastic rear cassette guard and since then not one dropped chain. If I do start getting them I'll invest in a chain guide but I see no need yet. Whole conversion was only around $200 bucks.
Trance_2015_1.jpg
Conversion to 2010 Trance 2
Trance_2015_2.jpg
Conversion to 2010 Trance 2
jimzenglish

Chainrings | Cycling | Drivetrain | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts