Re: Converting My Drivetrain To 1x10

Postby AgrAde on Thu 13/Aug/15 7:21pm

What else would I mean? :hmmm: The chch tram counts right?
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Farm on Thu 13/Aug/15 7:24pm

AgrAde wrote:

What else would I mean? :hmmm: The chch tram counts right?

Given NZ's lack of light rail I think any public transport qualifies.
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 13/Aug/15 10:00pm

mudlover/hater wrote:No experience here but I'm gonna upgrade to Zee 10speed once my current 1x9 set up dies. Am pretty keen on the Praxis cassette and 32t ring... any ballpark figures on the Praxis cassette's cost? Wasn't on chainreaction.co.nz.

El booto was saying it's cheaper than slx + extender
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby mudlover/hater on Fri 14/Aug/15 6:30am

AgrAde wrote:I was in CRC today. The guys on moorhouse in chch said they were offered it but the price was a bit silly for what you get and it wasn't worth stocking. I think they said it was $250. Hard to justify when the XT 11sp 11-42 is under $140 from overseas retailers and the rest of the money can go towards the derailleur and shifter.

Why zee? can you get them medium cage or are you going to get the full cage replacement from oneup? The short cages suck with 11-36, can't imagine it would be very nice at all with 11-40.

I'm already running a Zee 9speed SRAM shifter hack and have a Zee shifter so will only have to buy a cassette, chain and new cable to get it up to 10speed...

Also, I'm pretty big on not wanting to mess about with tuning my gears too much... is 10speed that much more finnicky than 9?
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Postby AgrAde on Fri 14/Aug/15 7:44am

10sp is not a large amount different that 9 speed in terms of tuning, with normal parts its fine. With extender parts you either spend money (on the complete 1-up system) or deal with something that's not as good and a little bit more finnicky.
AgrAde

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 14/Aug/15 8:02am

AgrAde wrote:

What else would I mean? :hmmm:

Definition number 3??
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Scotty on Fri 14/Aug/15 8:07am

...which has been downvoted TO HELL.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 14/Aug/15 9:26am

AgrAde wrote:10sp is not a large amount different that 9 speed in terms of tuning, with normal parts its fine. With extender parts you either spend money (on the complete 1-up system) or deal with something that's not as good and a little bit more finnicky.

Hence go for it if you're happy with [chainring size] x 11-36 cassette, but leave it alone if you're unwilling to give up the low range.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Farm on Fri 14/Aug/15 9:54am

swtchbckr wrote:
AgrAde wrote:

Definition number 3??

I just picked the one I liked the most. The others seemed to be more just mocking the name Dougal and that wasn't my intention.
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby Dougal on Fri 14/Aug/15 11:31am

Farm wrote:
AgrAde wrote:
I feel like I'm doing a Dougal in this thread.

:eh:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dougaling

Well that wasn't what I was expecting. :D
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Slim on Fri 14/Aug/15 12:58pm

AgrAde wrote:
Astoria Paranoia wrote:Do these need a new mech cage?

Yeah, unless you want your shifting to suck.

They're not too bad when you consider they're better stepped and lighter than an XT + 40t + 16t and aren't a *huge* amount more than that setup in price. But you still need a RAD cage to make it work properly and it's still not 42.

"just buy 11sp XT" is going to be the answer to all these bogan hack jobs by this time next month.

You've really had the rad cage koolaid.

Requirement for a rad cage is actually very bike specific, the majority of bikes with run fine without it with a 40, it's only once you start into the 42t that you need to go that way which is why we elected to do 40t only.

Also, the replacement 16t is a pig, there is no way to time the rotation to make it work correctly for a nice shift by replacing the 15 and 17. We have messed about with doing it, we've tried other peoples 16s and come to the conclusion that the jump in ratio is better than a real ugly spot in the shifting.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 14/Aug/15 1:11pm

Farm wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:
AgrAde wrote:

Definition number 3??

I just picked the one I liked the most. The others seemed to be more just mocking the name Dougal and that wasn't my intention.

Maybe more like Dougalism.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby AgrAde on Fri 14/Aug/15 2:25pm

Slim wrote:
You've really had the rad cage koolaid.

Requirement for a rad cage is actually very bike specific, the majority of bikes with run fine without it with a 40, it's only once you start into the 42t that you need to go that way which is why we elected to do 40t only.

Also, the replacement 16t is a pig, there is no way to time the rotation to make it work correctly for a nice shift by replacing the 15 and 17. We have messed about with doing it, we've tried other peoples 16s and come to the conclusion that the jump in ratio is better than a real ugly spot in the shifting.

The shift isn't great, but neither is the shift across the gap when you don't use the 16. I'll take better ratios any day of the week. The only time I've found it to get proper ugly was shifting straight over it, under good power. Which you shouldn't really do unless you're pretending to be Aaron Gwin in Leogang.

The change in the hanger placement does mean things work on some bikes and not others (works with a 40t and standard derailleur on all three of my bikes) but it just means you end up with enough clearance for the 40, it doesn't mean that it works great at the other end. It won't move through the cassette while retaining a good distance between the guide pulley and cassette, and won't give you ideal chain wrap. The derailleur can't move the guide cog up enough as you shift toward the 11t, regardless of what frame it's on.
AgrAde

Postby el_booto on Fri 14/Aug/15 6:34pm

swtchbckr wrote:
mudlover/hater wrote:No experience here but I'm gonna upgrade to Zee 10speed once my current 1x9 set up dies. Am pretty keen on the Praxis cassette and 32t ring... any ballpark figures on the Praxis cassette's cost? Wasn't on chainreaction.co.nz.

El booto was saying it's cheaper than slx + extender

It all boils down to how dollar driven your LBS are
I've got a praxis in the cabinet I'm asking $219 for it
My theory: expander is $125, an SLX cassette (which is not stocked anymore in nz) was $99, now you'd have to get an XT which is more like $120-130
Plus $15 for a 16t cog if you choose to use one (I never had a problem running one before I went to a praxis, you just have to push the shifter a little more to jump it up a gear)

That's just my way of looking at the magic picture, Anyone else care for a go :eh:
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby wachtourak on Fri 14/Aug/15 6:40pm

wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Cycling | Drivetrain | Mountain Biking | Workshop - Latest Posts