Re: Converting My Drivetrain To 1x10

Postby AgrAde on Thu 13/Aug/15 6:05pm

I was in CRC today. The guys on moorhouse in chch said they were offered it but the price was a bit silly for what you get and it wasn't worth stocking. I think they said it was $250. Hard to justify when the XT 11sp 11-42 is under $140 from overseas retailers and the rest of the money can go towards the derailleur and shifter.

Why zee? can you get them medium cage or are you going to get the full cage replacement from oneup? The short cages suck with 11-36, can't imagine it would be very nice at all with 11-40.
Last edited by AgrAde on Thu 13/Aug/15 6:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Thu 13/Aug/15 6:08pm

mudlover/hater wrote:No experience here but I'm gonna upgrade to Zee 10speed once my current 1x9 set up dies. Am pretty keen on the Praxis cassette and 32t ring... any ballpark figures on the Praxis cassette's cost? Wasn't on chainreaction.co.nz.

$192.40 on Burkes

Nearly 3 times the price of an XT cassette.
Do these need a new mech cage?
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 13/Aug/15 6:11pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:Do these need a new mech cage?

Yeah, unless you want your shifting to suck.

They're not too bad when you consider they're better stepped and lighter than an XT + 40t + 16t and aren't a *huge* amount more than that setup in price. But you still need a RAD cage to make it work properly and it's still not 42.

"just buy 11sp XT" is going to be the answer to all these bogan hack jobs by this time next month.
AgrAde

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Thu 13/Aug/15 6:21pm

I'm glad 2x is still waaay cheaper and lasts longer :thumbsup:
Last edited by Astoria Paranoia on Thu 13/Aug/15 6:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby el_booto on Thu 13/Aug/15 6:22pm

AgrAde wrote:
Astoria Paranoia wrote:Do these need a new mech cage?

Yeah, unless you want your shifting to suck.

come take my force for a ride tomorrow, i think you'll be surprised :sly:
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby mudguard on Thu 13/Aug/15 6:27pm

$250? Think I'd rather get an XTR 10 speed and a 30t NW ring from overseas. That would be pretty close given I'm running 32t with an 11-36.
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 13/Aug/15 6:32pm

AgrAde wrote:Why zee? can you get them medium cage or are you going to get the full cage replacement from oneup? The short cages suck with 11-36, can't imagine it would be very nice at all with 11-40.

I've been using a Zee rear with a 40t adapter and it shifts great. You need to use good quality cables. Make sure you are using the wide range zee mech, not the short range Dh one
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 13/Aug/15 6:35pm

el_booto wrote:come take my force for a ride tomorrow, i think you'll be surprised :sly:

I'm ok :)

The only way to make an XT derailleur work on 11-40 is to sacrifice chain wrap and/or increase the distance between the guide pulley (and shifting plate) and the cassette in the higher gears. Works fine in the carpark but prematurely wears the drivetrain and shifting is pooooooos when the chain is bouncing around or when muddy.
AgrAde

Postby Wobbler on Thu 13/Aug/15 6:37pm

1x is so simple :p

(page 2 so neeneerneener)
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 13/Aug/15 6:48pm

pushbikerider wrote:
I've been using a Zee rear with a 40t adapter and it shifts great. You need to use good quality cables. Make sure you are using the wide range zee mech, not the short range Dh one

Does it look like this in top gear?:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2735/1320 ... 98a0_b.jpg

If so, awful chain wrap and huge distance between the guide pulley and 11t = vomit time due to previously mentioned reasons.

I feel like I'm doing a Dougal in this thread.
AgrAde

Postby Scotty on Thu 13/Aug/15 6:53pm

Given the new XT gruppo is less that seven hundy for a complete drivetrain, that'll be where I go I think.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby el_booto on Thu 13/Aug/15 6:54pm

AgrAde wrote:
el_booto wrote:come take my force for a ride tomorrow, i think you'll be surprised :sly:

I'm ok :)

The only way to make an XT derailleur work on 11-40 is to sacrifice chain wrap and/or increase the distance between the guide pulley (and shifting plate) and the cassette in the higher gears. Works fine in the carpark but prematurely wears the drivetrain and shifting is pooooooos when the chain is bouncing around or when muddy.

it's been fine so far, done a few recon runs around the oxford foothills (in mud/snow) and a few runs around mcleans
all bone-stock derailleur, shifting is sweet ;)

i'm going back to 2x though, i havent ridden properly in a very long time so my fitness is not what it once may have been :paranoid:
Last edited by el_booto on Thu 13/Aug/15 7:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Farm on Thu 13/Aug/15 7:11pm

AgrAde wrote:

:eh:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dougaling
Farm
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby foremannz on Thu 13/Aug/15 7:15pm

After doing it myself, I'd say take a step back first and ask yourself whats the driving reason?
For me, the driving reason was to simplify my bike, but I lost ratios at both ends and in between, but for me, I don't compete and spent more time thinking about lines and less about what gear I needed, and the bike has since been relegated to commuter duties ...
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby znomit on Thu 13/Aug/15 7:16pm

Farm wrote:
AgrAde wrote:

:eh:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dougaling

:D
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Cycling | Drivetrain | Mountain Biking | Workshop - Latest Posts