Contact Huka Mountain Bike Challenge

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Wed 5/Aug/09 7:14am

HUKA_Challenge.jpg

After its popular debut last year, the Contact Huka Mountain Bike Challenge is back again – the 80 kilometre off-road ride takes in some of Taupo's most famous mountain bikes tracks and traverses tracks not normally accessible to the public.
Places are limited to secure your place now!!
The Contact Huka Mountain Bike Challenge is part of the ever-popular Wattyl Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge.
For licensed riders, there's the Contact Huka XL Race, with cash prizes for the winner.

Go to http://www.cyclechallenge.com
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Re: Contact Huka Mountain Bike Challenge

Postby okbyik on Sun 15/Nov/09 10:16pm

Doing the Huka challenge this year.

Anyone heading down from Rotovegas on Friday evening with room in car for one body sans bike? Bike going by slow pony.

Generous koha towards petrol.

I fly in from WLG arriving at 7.05 pm; just need to be dropped somewhere in Taupo central Friday evening.

Ian Paintin
okbyik
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby groklem on Sun 29/Nov/09 9:29pm

Anyone get a gps log of the Huka Challenge course?
Due to a bit of a disorganized start I didn't turn my GPS logger on until somewhere around craters of the moon.
So I have most of the course recorded just not the ride from Taupo out to Craters of the Moon.

If anyone is interested the kml file is posted here:
http://www.gamma.net.nz/track/huka-challenge-2009
groklem
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby thelongwalk on Sun 29/Nov/09 10:16pm

hey
yeah I know someone that has-send me a private message and i'll post ya his email and you can ask him.

what a race though! best day on the bike for years. thoroughly recommend it to anyone who mountainbikes - I wasn't that fit, it was hard but 56 k of single track including 10 k grade 4 is always going to hurt a bit.
The marshalls, directions, flow of tracks, occasional crashes, chilled spirit- world class
me mate said his GPS showed 1600 metres climbing :)
thelongwalk
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Monolith on Mon 30/Nov/09 7:50am

It was a cool course. Some parts were simply awesome, other bits were less so... the tight twisty singletrack at about the 50km mark made me want to stab myself in the neck. Very well run event though, great to see so many people out giving it a go.
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby ThingOne on Mon 30/Nov/09 8:00am

groklem wrote:Anyone get a gps log of the Huka Challenge course?
Due to a bit of a disorganized start I didn't turn my GPS logger on until somewhere around craters of the moon.
So I have most of the course recorded just not the ride from Taupo out to Craters of the Moon.

If anyone is interested the kml file is posted here:
http://www.gamma.net.nz/track/huka-challenge-2009

Shane (Ryda) did this one.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/world/ci ... 0064824198
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby XCrazy on Mon 30/Nov/09 8:18am

Monolith wrote:the tight twisty singletrack at about the 50km mark made me want to stab myself in the neck.

:withstupid:
XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Oli on Mon 30/Nov/09 9:47am

Great win by Stu! What a legend, although so damn close for Mikey...
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby ahinui on Mon 30/Nov/09 3:10pm

62k? Did someone take a short cut? :p
ahinui
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby Cabin on Mon 30/Nov/09 3:16pm

Great event. Looks like it could become one of NZ's premier MTB events (if it hasn't already) and congrats to Stu and Annika for their wins. Brutal course at speed, well marshalled, and well run event. And brilliant for MTB to be aligned with (and a celebrated part of) NZ's biggest cycling event.

Huge credit to both Stu and Mikey. Mikey for taking the race by the scruff of the neck early and really dictating terms, and Stu for an amazingly determined ride back to the front. Credit too to Ash Hough and Scott Green for not being afraid to mix it up and pushing themselves very hard. Shame I didn't quite have the speed to take it to them, so instead pretty happy with 3rd.

Only bummer for weekend was Nic having to withdraw with some vision issues. She reported she was feeling amazing and legs were great.... so its a bummer we didn't get to see the anticipated duel with Annika. That'll have to wait for another day!
Cabin
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby ryda on Mon 30/Nov/09 3:19pm

ahinui wrote:

62k? Did someone take a short cut? :p
sure did :thumbsup: by going straight through the middle of the actual craters tourist area, going by the original download....guess my satellites where not aligned :exclaim:
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Monolith on Mon 30/Nov/09 5:13pm

Obviously you should have memorised the entire course beforehand.
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby banga on Mon 30/Nov/09 5:42pm

Monolith wrote:Obviously you should have memorised the entire course beforehand.

:D
banga
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Grant on Mon 30/Nov/09 5:42pm

Monolith wrote:Obviously you should have memorised the entire course beforehand.

:lol:
Grant
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby DaveAldred on Mon 30/Nov/09 7:56pm

Lets not forget that a GPS reciever will not be as accurate as a simple bike computer for distance on a course like the Huka.

The frequent direction changes, delay in sat' deliveries (can be a few secs depending on model and setting) and most importantly - the tree cover, can all obfuscate the details. Just look at the open ground plot vs. the wooded singletrack.

Would be intersted to hear from someone who has a bike computer km read and a GPS read. Of course a 62km read suggests a human malfunction I suppose.

Awesome event. Very well run. Only prob I recall was the amusing start where there was a marshal fail and the XL just hooned up the road and crossed traffic wherever we pleased :D

My rigid SS beat the shit out of me and once I got tired it made the tougher singletrack a little chore-like, but I still loved every meter. I scammed a 4hr20 and was very happy with it. Silver and DFL in the SS class. Carwyn made a few meters early in the woods on me, but was moving on his local trails I had to let him go. Glad I did. His result was amazing and I would have blown up chasing him if that is the knd of pace he had! Good job mate, if you are reading.

I lost a bottle early and got pretty dehydrated and boxed in which slowed me down, but was great once I drank gallons at the water stop. I got a flatty too on the fast gravel 4wd, but thought i was quite close to home and so stopped three times to put my epic left arm to a moar wholesome use than usual and air it up. I was nearly losing it on the way from spa park as the tire was nearly rolling off on the corners.

Epic lulz with the usual suspects all afternoon and into the wee small hours, rounded off a great w'end away.

Can't wait till next year.
DaveAldred
"Bushlove - Strictly Sifting"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Cycling | Events | Featured Events | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts