Re: Contact Huka Mountain Bike Challenge

Postby orangecruz on Mon 30/Nov/09 7:59pm

Was an awsome event - I'm for doing it next year! (All of it unlike my fail relay)
orangecruz
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby thelongwalk on Mon 30/Nov/09 8:54pm

yeah, no sure about the bottle idea. I was in the front third of the field and lost count of the number of bottles I had to dodge, lost on the track, along with the pinecones, generally on tight corners. :) And it was soft soft soil not rocky like wells on the downhill
thelongwalk
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby DaveAldred on Mon 30/Nov/09 8:59pm

I can assure you that on my rigid, a lot of the soft soft soil.... wasn't.

Its the nice rhythm of those braking bumps and wotnot that seems to eject my bottles. I had to ride slower to guarantee that I wouldn't lose my second one. Next time I think I'll go with the camelback or squash my cages more.

I must be right up there in the comp to have the most excuses after an event.

I'd love to do it on a nice modern bike next year, but if I do a shit result, what will I blame it on?
DaveAldred
"Bushlove - Strictly Sifting"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Oli on Mon 30/Nov/09 9:01pm

The road was covered in bottles too - I think it's just a native Taupo tradition to scatter them hither and yon. :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Nick_K on Mon 30/Nov/09 9:02pm

DaveAldred wrote:I'd love to do it on a nice modern bike next year, but if I do a shit result, what will I blame it on?

I'm sure you will think of something. Your morbid obesity?

I have found the plastic trek ones to be awesome for holding on to bottles.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby musket on Mon 30/Nov/09 9:04pm

I've ofund the Tacx cages, and the BBB cages really reliable. I use a side mount BBB on the trail bike and haven't managed to lose a bottle yet.
musket
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby wgtngrl on Mon 30/Nov/09 9:07pm

Tacx cages with Tacx bottles - never lost a bottle with them :)
wgtngrl
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby SlackBoy on Mon 30/Nov/09 9:08pm

wgtngrl wrote:Tacx cages with Tacx bottles - never lost a bottle with them :)

:paranoid:
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby SlackBoy on Mon 30/Nov/09 9:10pm

I went out and brought a cheap cage, but failed to tension it. And thus lost my favourite Fox bottle.
I shoulda forked out for another speshy rib cage. I love those things. However the bike shop I was in at taupo didn't have any black ones.
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby DaveAldred on Mon 30/Nov/09 9:16pm

Oli wrote:The road was covered in bottles too - I think it's just a native Taupo tradition to scatter them hither and yon. :thumbsup:

It fucks me off that people think they have some right to throw their waterbottles at the roadside in events. Seems like when cycling, they think they don't have to be a Tidy Kiwi. I ground out someone last year on the road for doing it. Cheeky littering bastard. People also think their jersey pockets or short legs are far too awesome to get a bit of gel on too, and I've seen people just drop their gel wrappers which also gets my Spideysense tingling. And I read a couple of Tarbabies the headlines last winter when I saw them at the roadside and one of them threw a punctured tube up into the bushes. Wankers. What is it with some people and littering?

Maybe I am too sensitive to this stuff. Once, near the Blue Ridge Mtns in the US, I got out at traffic lights to give a guy back through his window, the ciggy he had thrown onto the street. The shouting and near fisticuffs amid the honking horns as the lights went green, was excellent. Fuck him and his littering.

Don't litter near me, or anywhere else.... or else....

Considering I said I wouldn't look at vorb tonight, I am gobbing off somewhat. I wil go and clean the kitchen now.

d
DaveAldred

Postby Oli on Mon 30/Nov/09 9:20pm

DaveAldred wrote:
Oli wrote:The road was covered in bottles too - I think it's just a native Taupo tradition to scatter them hither and yon. :thumbsup:

It fucks me off that people think they have some right to throw their waterbottles at the roadside in events. Seems like when cycling, they think they don't have to be a Tidy Kiwi. I ground out someone last year on the road for doing it. Cheeky littering bastard. People also think their jersey pockets or short legs are far too awesome to get a bit of gel on too, and I've seen people just drop their gel wrappers which also gets my Spideysense tingling. And I read a couple of Tarbabies the headlines last winter when I saw them at the roadside and one of them threw a punctured tube up into the bushes. Wankers. What is it with some people and littering?

Maybe I am too sensitive to this stuff. Once, near the Blue Ridge Mtns in the US, I got out at traffic lights to give a guy back through his window, the ciggy he had thrown onto the street. The shouting and near fisticuffs amid the honking horns as the lights went green, was excellent. Fuck him and his littering.

Don't litter near me, or anywhere else.... or else....
I agree entirely Davo - how hard is it to tuck your used squeezy wrapper in your shorts leg? I was gobsmacked by the appalling amount of detritus along the way.

To be fair, many of the bottles on the road had clearly been dropped by folk unable to hang onto them and ride and it would be near impossible to go back and pick them up, but the dropped bottles were causing a few crashes. :crazy:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby wgtngrl on Mon 30/Nov/09 9:23pm

I'm so pleased that on the Capitelles rides we always encourage the girls to practice drinking while riding in a bunch.

As for dropping gel/goo pouches - I'm going to stop before I get as angry as Davo cos I think it's wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong too.
wgtngrl
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby DaveAldred on Mon 30/Nov/09 9:55pm

Accidents happen and if you drop a bottle or wrapper in the heat of it all, then cest la vie and good luck to you. One of those things I guess.

But it is the group of people who throw empty bottles to the bushes, and I am talking about the A-Graders and those who think their times are so important, that they litter the empty bidon in their back pocket to maybe save a couple of seconds. My eyewitness informs me that Subway elite riders hate New Zealand countryside and their sponsors so much, that they hurl branded bottles with gay abandon to the curbside. Might even cancel my subscription to the meatball s.o.t.d on Mondays.

Still this is a mtb thread where we Love the Bush, and I hope that the half dozen or so Leppin wrappers I collected from the trails at Craters I rode on Sunday morning to attempt to cure my hangover, were dropped by mistake out of pockets and not intentionally discarded.

Anyho, this is a bit of a rant hijack and we shouldn't rabbit on. Moar race stories please! :thumbsup:
DaveAldred

Postby thelongwalk on Mon 30/Nov/09 10:19pm

more race stories....
took me mate 2 hours to catch me, soon he passed and he was trying to grab a feed from his jersey pocket on trails none of us had ridden before. major fail , straight over his handelbars into the weeds as he came to a drop off.

Also at the very start of the race -charging along that thin trail at a high speed , right behind a young lady.
I noticed to my right riders starting to come back in the opposite direction in the bush below. and I thought hmm, must be a switchback. sure enough, over the rise , I started to slow down, too late for the girl infront who skidded straight into the thorns squelling nicely. First switchback missed!

and that section of felled pines after the good climb, hundreds of riders trying to ride that soft shitty downhill

and the last hundred meters with the roadies on the tarmac after all those k's of sweet track.. unreal...
thelongwalk
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby lloydy on Mon 30/Nov/09 10:33pm

DaveAldred wrote:Accidents happen and if you drop a bottle or wrapper in the heat of it all, then cest la vie and good luck to you. One of those things I guess.

But it is the group of people who throw empty bottles to the bushes, and I am talking about the A-Graders and those who think their times are so important, that they litter the empty bidon in their back pocket to maybe save a couple of seconds. My eyewitness informs me that Subway elite riders hate New Zealand countryside and their sponsors so much, that they hurl branded bottles with gay abandon to the curbside. Might even cancel my subscription to the meatball s.o.t.d on Mondays.

Still this is a mtb thread where we Love the Bush, and I hope that the half dozen or so Leppin wrappers I collected from the trails at Craters I rode on Sunday morning to attempt to cure my hangover, were dropped by mistake out of pockets and not intentionally discarded.

Anyho, this is a bit of a rant hijack and we shouldn't rabbit on. Moar race stories please! :thumbsup:

Fully agree with the rant about riders chucking bottles, food wrappers, banana skins etc onto the road side. It's hardly as if an empty water bottle adds a great deal of weight or upsets the aero dynamics of racing bike. Was the same in the Taranaki and K2 rides I rode this year too. Likewise after last years round the lake ride, I rode some off road on the sunday and it was littered with energy gel wrappers. Should be able to name and shame the offenders.
lloydy
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Cycling | Events | Featured Events | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts