Re: Construction Gets Underway On Christchurch Adventure Park

Postby AgrAde on Wed 15th Feb 8:57pm

DogsBollocks wrote:
AgrAde wrote:A statement from the park? Lol.

The entire thing could burn down and they wouldn't say anything more than "sorry, we're not open today! Check back soon!". They're fucking useless.

That's a bit unfair innit ? They've possibly got more important stuff to attend to than when you get your next park fix. It's prolly a bit hard for them to assess the damage when they aren't even there. People and homes 1st ay.

It was a comment on their fucking terrible PR, their woeful engagement with the local riding community, their disregard of the local racing scene, the fact they absolutely shit on their volunteer crew, the way they have treated some of their staff, and the ignorant behavior of their upper management.

It has nothing to do with my park fix.

I am absolutely upset about what has happened. Still willing to do whatever I can as a volunteer to get the park operating well, but at this point it's all about the riders and the scene.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Wed 15th Feb 9:06pm

AgrAde wrote:
DogsBollocks wrote:
AgrAde wrote:A statement from the park? Lol.

The entire thing could burn down and they wouldn't say anything more than "sorry, we're not open today! Check back soon!". They're fucking useless.

That's a bit unfair innit ? They've possibly got more important stuff to attend to than when you get your next park fix. It's prolly a bit hard for them to assess the damage when they aren't even there. People and homes 1st ay.

It was a comment on their fucking terrible PR, their woeful engagement with the local riding community, their disregard of the local racing scene, the fact they absolutely shit on their volunteer crew, the way they have treated some of their staff, and the ignorant behavior of their upper management.

It has nothing to do with my park fix.

I am absolutely upset about what has happened. Still willing to do whatever I can as a volunteer to get the park operating well, but at this point it's all about the riders and the scene.

Cool. I took your comment in the context of the current conversation. That's a whole new bucket of chicken you've got there.
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby AgrAde on Wed 15th Feb 9:19pm

Indeed. I've tried to stay neutral but a couple things that happened shortly before the fire got me pretty riled. I am truly upset for the park. Most of the staff there are fantastic and I hope this works out in the end.

That said, there's more to it than the park and nothing is more important than people's lives and homes. The way the fire has been handled so far has been a disappointment, hopefully things change now that state of emergency has been declared.
AgrAde

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 15th Feb 9:47pm

Spagllegs wrote:... it started 7pm at car park on Marleys hill. Bogans' durries. ..

Oh for a chance to 'have a chat' with those fucking reprobate pond-scum sucking cunzor-wads. A nice 'chat' with Mr Baseball Bat...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby el_booto on Wed 15th Feb 10:31pm

i'd like to introduce them to my lawyer
James Bar, Esq.

now it's spread into vic park... :hmmm: now i'm getting the angry
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 16th Feb 7:57am

From CAPs facebook

CAP wrote:After a very long and difficult night we can confirm that the Adventure Park Village and Base Station are still ok and that the chair is still running. A massive shout out to the the fire crews and army who have worked tirelessly throughout the night to help save some of our Park.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Postby Dougal on Thu 16th Feb 9:56am

dwgknz wrote:From CAPs facebook

CAP wrote:After a very long and difficult night we can confirm that the Adventure Park Village and Base Station are still ok and that the chair is still running. A massive shout out to the the fire crews and army who have worked tirelessly throughout the night to help save some of our Park.

:blink:
That's amazing if it's accurate. The videos from afar made it look like one big, terrible, bonfire.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 16th Feb 9:59am

my mum just texted (they were evacuated from top of cashmere last night), anyway, she's just gone back up there and taken a walk into Vic Park now. Said it's like post holocaust with nobody around. A ranger told her the fire's just above the Ranger Base Station up there. - i can see a bit of smoke in there from here. Doesn't look that big right now

There goes Sesame St, the Gummies.. maybe?. :(
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Thu 16th Feb 10:12am

The wall ride is gone :-(

Or was it a wooden berm?
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby Rik on Thu 16th Feb 11:23am

swtchbckr wrote:There goes Sesame St, the Gummies.. maybe?. :(

Gum trees have evolved to survive bush fires, shedding their bark, So Gummies should be the best of the lot to retain it's character
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 16th Feb 12:19pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:The wall ride is gone :-(

Or was it a wooden berm?

The wall ride is no more mislabeled than any of the other features in Vic :lol:
AgrAde

Postby Dougal on Thu 16th Feb 12:26pm

Rik wrote:

Gum trees have evolved to survive bush fires, shedding their bark, So Gummies should be the best of the lot to retain it's character

I thought the bloody things evolved to spread fires.

Filling the air with combustible gum vapour (hence blue mountains), having bark that catches alight, peels off and flits away in the breeze to cause fires elsewhere.

I rode in the Blue Mountains a few years after they had a significant bush-fire. Couldn't tell.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 16th Feb 4:30pm

i's just looking at a kmz on googlearth of the total fire extent (captured by one of my colleagues here at work (DOC)), and to me it's looking like Sesame St might have escaped... maybe it juuuust got the edge of the gums... Looks like its gone through those pines above Brake Free and the see saw (basically, top of Vic Park), and the 'rabbit paddock' next to that, and above the road up there on the lower flanks of Sugarloaf
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby Rik on Thu 16th Feb 5:03pm

Just watching the NZHerald's live flyover.

CAP top and bottom stations took in good* order. And wild stab in the dark estimate looks to be about 50% of the trees have been burnt.

Looks much better than I'd feared :)

*as viewed from a 1000m
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 16th Feb 9:03pm

Chuck up a link?

(Can't be bothered searching for it)
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Baggy Shorts | Cycling | Cycling Clothing | Cycling Shorts + Longs | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts