Cone & Cup, Or Sealed Bearings?

Postby seaston4 on Fri 9/Jan/09 10:54pm

Saw a couple of hubs on TradeMe a while back, and still wondering what is better, or is it just personal preference?

Are sealed bearings better because they run smoother but don't last as long, beacuse are not a serviceable?

or are the cone/cup bearings better because you sacrifice smooth running for serviceability and longer life?

I'm happy to stick with the bearings I have, just wanted some other opinions.

Cheers,

Shane.
seaston4
"When are we going to Rotorua next?"
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Re: Cone & Cup, Or Sealed Bearings?

Postby Mattus on Fri 9/Jan/09 11:01pm

Sealed bearings are the way to go, one of the other vorbii could give you some more info on them.
Mattus
"Get Involved!"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Re: Cone & Cup, Or Sealed Bearings?

Postby danose on Sat 10/Jan/09 9:59am

seaston4 wrote:or are the cone/cup bearings better because you sacrifice smooth running for serviceability and longer life?

other way around - cup & cone give the ultimate in low drag / free running, at the expense of needing servicing more often. The best sealed bearing hubs (say something using ceramic angular contact bearings so you can set the preload right) will get close, but seal drag will always be higher (unless of course they go mad and spec a non-sealed cart bearing)

servicing a cup/cone hub is something anyone with half a mechanical clue can do at home (tools needed cone wrenches and grease) - for most people changing bearings in a sealed hub is a shop job (since you'll need a press)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Clubs | WAMO MTB Club - Latest Posts