Who's going to the compulsory helmet law protest ride this Saturday?

Hell yeah - Helmet hair sucks
6%
Yeah nah - Helmet hair is cool
94%

Total voters : 16

Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Re: Compulsory Helmet Law Protest Ride

Postby jo on Tue 13th Mar 9:33pm

Needs most kittenz.

Also - I always wear a helmet, except when I dont. Don't give a f. about helmet hair.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby nostromo on Tue 13th Mar 11:31pm

Stuff seem to post an awful lot of cycling stuff in a way thats intended to be a bit inflammatory, just to get hits. Any mention of cycleways is either something about Island bay or has "X million dollars" / "X number of carparks to be removed" somewhere in the headline.

This article is an example as no convincing or even partially compelling case is put forward there for not wearing helmets. In fact it just makes cyclists look like complete idiots who want to do whatever they want to do, and also think they are above the law.

I think that is the deliberate intention so as to get people in a lather and clicking and commenting which creates advertising revenue.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby Nathan007 on Wed 14th Mar 12:07am

It's funny how every cycling story on stuff has people moaning about cyclists paying acc levies and ignores what the story is about.
Nathan007
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Wed 14th Mar 1:54pm

The only possible excuse for not wearing a helmet is vanity.
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby philstar on Wed 14th Mar 4:45pm

DogsBollocks wrote:The only possible excuse for not wearing a helmet is vanity.

still does not justify the law for bikes and not other users (apart from construction sites and motor bikes).
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Wed 14th Mar 7:29pm

philstar wrote:

still does not justify the law for bikes and not other users (apart from construction sites and motor bikes).

Never said it did. What I am saying is if you don’t wear a helmet while riding your bike you are a vain dumbasss. A bit like that twat on The Project earlier.
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Conners on Wed 14th Mar 9:37pm

DogsBollocks wrote:
philstar wrote:

Never said it did. What I am saying is if you don’t wear a helmet while riding your bike you are a vain dumbasss. A bit like that twat on The Project earlier.

The anti helmet club always seem to fighting for some kind of freedom of speech (choice I guess).
Most of that crew seem to wear helmets pretty much all of the time - and I’m sure they do so because they see the merits of doing so rather than genuinely feeling that they have to because of the risk of receiving a fine.

Personally it’s just such a no brainer that it’s not even worth discussing. I guess there would
be times when I’m literally just riding to the shop and I might choose to not wear one, but to be honest it’s such an ingrained behaviour now that I would probably still put it on. Because it’s always going to be that one time that bites you. Like recently when my 3 year old was having a hoon on his balance bike without his helmet on and I thought “ah what harm could he possibly come to within our own section riding on his own?” Two seconds later he washes out the front wheel on a patch of leaves (damp underneath and very slippery as it turns out), takes a decent digger into the ashphalt and ends up with a limp on his forehead. Yes, I’m a bad parent - lesson learned.

I guess my point is that I’m more likely to axe myself when riding one handed with a bottle of milk in my hand and wearing jandals than any other time.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby philstar on Thu 15th Mar 6:29pm

DogsBollocks wrote:
philstar wrote:

I quite often take off my helmet when I stop and its not for vanity
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby Conners on Thu 15th Mar 8:10pm

philstar wrote:
DogsBollocks wrote:
philstar wrote:

I quite often take off my helmet when I stop and its not for vanity

EWwwww - never take the helmet off. Sure, it fees good - but this is far outweighed by needing to put it back on again :crazy:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 15th Mar 9:08pm

Conners wrote:EWwwww - never take the helmet off. Sure, it fees good - but this is far outweighed by needing to put it back on again :crazy:

This. Gross.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby philstar on Fri 16th Mar 2:37pm

Conners wrote:[EWwwww - never take the helmet off. Sure, it fees good - but this is far outweighed by needing to put it back on again :crazy:

in a cold humid environment you my be right (depending on personal tolerances, and how long you are stopping for). but the point was is there are no vanity reason for not wanting to where a helmet, as point by the fact that most people take their helmets off for the drive home after a ride where it may be just as useful as wearing it for a trip to the shop for a sausage roll.
philstar
"misanthropic"

Cycling - Latest Posts