Ss Commuting

Postby WayneG on Sun 22/Feb/09 9:15am

I'm after a new bike for commuting, I want a road style single speed. I would like to be able to switch between fixed and free. I just have a few questions:
What are Aluminum frames like? something tells me they are too stiff and you fell all the road bumps but can't remember where I got that from?
Am I best to buy a second hand bike and change it to ss or buy a new ss?
I budget is for $1400 max.
Thanks
WayneG
"Look mum I can fly"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Re: Ss Commuting

Postby slowMTB on Sun 22/Feb/09 9:45am

Hi Wayne :thumbsup:

Well $1400 will easily cover your goal. New bikes can be had for far less but quality is a bit average.

Personally I have gone the S/hand route. I purchased an older geared roadie that will eventually be converted to SS. Do a search, there are some good threads about components required for the conversion and it is reasonably easy / cheap to do . The benefits for me were - I got a really nice bike with good geometry, full Campy gear and a bit of nostalgic value for little outlay. Now I will just build it the way I want it ;) . There are some real bargains to be had s/hand ;)

Aluminium frames - not sure on this one but I have heard mixed responses so hopefully someone will chime in and help you with this Q. Mine is Reynolds 531 and rides really well, that is all I can help you with on this.

Hubs - you can get rear hubs that can be turned around 180* for either fixed OR free wheel so they are obtainable.

Not a lot of help I know but the new or s/hand option has been answered :)

NB: About starting with a geared bike. Initially you ride it geared and select 1 gear ratio, ride this for a while to see how it goes, once you have found your ideal gear then use that for your fixed ratio :thumbsup:

One suitable hub - http://www.burkescycles.co.nz/product.asp?prodid=2826

Good luck with your quest :)
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 22/Feb/09 10:09am

fuji track ftw, pretty sure theres a masi within your budget, charge bikes have good quality bits on them.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby thorg on Sun 22/Feb/09 3:10pm

Go click on essence bikes link, and ask Paul about building a Road rat for you :)

When I first got mine I had it as a fixed/free rear wheel commuter. Fixed was great for fitness, and if I got real broken I could flip the rear wheel and go SS - best of both worlds :D

Quality steel frame with flipflop rear wheel should be in your budget.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 22/Feb/09 4:35pm

:) I ride heaps of kms on my SingleSpeed (freewheel + drop bars + freewheel), steel framed roadie training bike.
My alloy framed roadies feel just as good as my steelie - I think a lot of the comfort thing is set up, seat and tyre pressure more than frame material types.

The buying an older geared roadie and stripping it to suit advice above is the way I would go.
Choose a good gear ratio to suit (it of course can be changed later) and personalise the bike as you go :)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 22/Feb/09 4:39pm

:)
SS RH.jpg
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"

Postby yak71 on Sun 22/Feb/09 9:22pm

I dont know where you are, but capital cycles have a few SS roadies in there at the mo.
They have 3 charge bikes(all steel), all with flip flop hubs, a gt gutterball, & they do the masi SS(steel i think) too.
I have been drooling over them for the last week or so - especially the charge plug.
They are all in your budget range.
In saying that though I have built a couple of old second hand steel ones too, and they have been great.
yak71
"yeah definitely"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby RJM on Tue 24/Feb/09 8:45am

Mike has some great single speed bikes in his shop - (I suspect he is into SS for some strange - you young people, all the years we had to suffer without decent gearing only to have you do this to us) - below is his site :

http://www.thebikehutt.co.nz/
RJM

Postby JohnnyC on Tue 24/Feb/09 8:54am

Check out one of these - http://www.chargebikes.com/products/bik ... .php?id=11 can't remember the exact price but its around what you want to spend.

Usually I'd rather get an old road/track frame and build it up as a fixie (which means it has a fixed rear wheel and you can't coast) but the charges are one of the few completes I do like.
JohnnyC
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby RJM on Tue 24/Feb/09 8:57am

JohnnyC wrote:Check out one of these - http://www.chargebikes.com/products/bik ... .php?id=11 can't remember the exact price but its around what you want to spend.

Usually I'd rather get an old road/track frame and build it up as a fixie (which means it has a fixed rear wheel and you can't coast) but the charges are one of the few completes I do like.

Why the SS if you don't mind me asking ?
RJM

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 24/Feb/09 9:28am

Cool avatar.

and what they said.

I use a track bike with flat bars which is great. fixed only though not fixed/free.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby JohnnyC on Tue 24/Feb/09 11:00am

RJM wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:Check out one of these - http://www.chargebikes.com/products/bik ... .php?id=11 can't remember the exact price but its around what you want to spend.

Cheap, simple and reliable, you don't need gears for commuting
JohnnyC
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 24/Feb/09 11:13am

amen!
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby RJM on Tue 24/Feb/09 11:18am

JohnnyC wrote:
RJM wrote:

Cheap, simple and reliable, you don't need gears for commuting

Fair enough - although I done know a Guy that commutes from Waikanae to Wellington either over the Akas or up Pak. Hill - gears would help here - guess it depends on where you are heading. It is a good thought though - I commute from Upper Hutt to Wellington and don't have any point where I change gear. :)
RJM

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 24/Feb/09 12:21pm

ss commuting in auckland ftw, gears are for queers!
shmoodiver

Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Fixed Gear | Road Cycling | Singlespeed - Latest Posts