Re: Ss Commuting

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 19/Mar/09 8:31pm

wheels are for sale on tardme if you want em
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby tripler on Thu 19/Mar/09 8:42pm

I will check them out
tripler
"I AM pushing but it won't go in,pass the grease"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby rizzodeniro on Mon 23/Mar/09 11:58am

I currently commute on my ss and have been a bit afraid to flip my rear wheel over to fixed as I live up Mount Pleasant Hill. I am thinking now though that I may give it a go!! I do have two sets of brakes to help slow me down. .......
rizzodeniro
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby XCrider on Sat 11/Apr/09 8:14pm

Anyone in christchurch commute on a fixie?? ive been riding my ss roadie to work for a few months now and i tempted to take the rear brake of and run a fixed free hub, whats the advantage of taking of the rear brake? And most importantly how do you stop in such a hurry with the munta motorist in our city!!
XCrider
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby disoriented on Sat 11/Apr/09 8:33pm

I find you don't stop on a brakeless fixie. To slow down in a hurry you try and force the pedals backwards, its hard to describe. 99.9% of the time you will won't be able to come to a stop before the hazard and you will have to swerve around it. And dont let the bike get out of control going downhill, but christchurch doesnt have hills.

It isn't as hard as it sounds once you try it or as dangerous as you think
disoriented
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby YANKEEHOTELFOXTROT on Sat 11/Apr/09 8:35pm

You'll be fine w/out the rear brake unless you've got a really steep and long descent. I've found that the rear brake is better utilised when descending long hills (i.e. Takaka Hill) where brake fade might be an issue, or if you're using tubular tyres. For urban riding, no worries. That front brake's got all the power. Just keep your weight back when you must stop in a hurry.
As an aside, I plowed through the Kennett Bros book about Harry Watson last night. What a good read! Those boys were tough, and rode 5000kms around France when the TdF was for men----on fixed gears. Truly an inspirational read.
YANKEEHOTELFOXTROT
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby YANKEEHOTELFOXTROT on Sat 11/Apr/09 8:37pm

To be perfectly clear: You need at least one brake for any riding off the track. Make it the front.
YANKEEHOTELFOXTROT
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby Colin on Sat 11/Apr/09 9:56pm

XCrider wrote:Anyone in christchurch commute on a fixie?? ive been riding my ss roadie to work for a few months now and i tempted to take the rear brake of and run a fixed free hub, whats the advantage of taking of the rear brake? And most importantly how do you stop in such a hurry with the munta motorist in our city!!

Fixie is a new level of fun. Leave the brakes on.

The advantage of taking the brakes off when riding on the road is you will save less weight than taking a dump before setting off on your commute. Or maybe you could leave your rain jacket at home.

And you will prove that you are wanker willing to take undue risks and likely end up costing society $ for your health care when you get involved in an accident that 'was someone elses fault' irrespective of the fact that if you had two functioning brakes on your bike you would still be fit health and getting full enjoyment out of riding your bike.

There are enough boozos in steel boxes on the roads not giving respect to cyclist. Do everyting you can to protect yourself from them.
Colin
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby disoriented on Sat 11/Apr/09 10:07pm

Colin wrote:
XCrider wrote:Anyone in christchurch commute on a fixie?? ive been riding my ss roadie to work for a few months now and i tempted to take the rear brake of and run a fixed free hub, whats the advantage of taking of the rear brake? And most importantly how do you stop in such a hurry with the munta motorist in our city!!

Fixie is a new level of fun. Leave the brakes on.

The advantage of taking the brakes off when riding on the road is you will save less weight than taking a dump before setting off on your commute. Or maybe you could leave your rain jacket at home.

And you will prove that you are wanker willing to take undue risks and likely end up costing society $ for your health care when you get involved in an accident that 'was someone elses fault' irrespective of the fact that if you had two functioning brakes on your bike you would still be fit health and getting full enjoyment out of riding your bike.

There are enough boozos in steel boxes on the roads not giving respect to cyclist. Do everyting you can to protect yourself from them.

A Couple of layers of bubble wrap over the cotton wool for extra protection perhaps?
disoriented
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby stealth mode on Sat 18/Jul/09 7:14pm

smoked tarmac yesterday unfortunately the bozzie came off second best....
DSC04626.JPG.jpeg
DSC04627.JPG.jpeg
stealth mode
"'SUCK MY COG'"
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby Oli on Sat 18/Jul/09 7:19pm

Ouch! :crazy:

Lovely frame though... :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby tripler on Sat 18/Jul/09 7:27pm

that is way my style of bike,luckly I havent had a nasty rear like that yet,but if you like most of us it would be fixed up in two shits and back on the mean streets :)
tripler

Postby tripler on Sat 18/Jul/09 7:29pm

where did u get the slim line grips they dont look like theres much meat on them?
tripler

Postby stealth mode on Sun 19/Jul/09 12:37pm

charge grips not to much meat but they look the part.....

I'll have her back on the road in 2 shakes of a lambs tail :thumbsup:

FIXIE FEVER.....
stealth mode
"'SUCK MY COG'"
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Fixed Gear | Road Cycling | Singlespeed - Latest Posts