Re: Ss Commuting

Postby slowMTB on Tue 24/Feb/09 12:35pm

Those Charge bikes do look quite nice I must say :)

The Geo on the "L" looks very nice to :thumbsup:
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby JohnnyC on Tue 24/Feb/09 1:25pm

RJM wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:
RJM wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:Check out one of these - http://www.chargebikes.com/products/bik ... .php?id=11 can't remember the exact price but its around what you want to spend.

Usually I'd rather get an old road/track frame and build it up as a fixie (which means it has a fixed rear wheel and you can't coast) but the charges are one of the few completes I do like.

Why the SS if you don't mind me asking ?

Cheap, simple and reliable, you don't need gears for commuting

Fair enough - although I done know a Guy that commutes from Waikanae to Wellington either over the Akas or up Pak. Hill - gears would help here - guess it depends on where you are heading. It is a good thought though - I commute from Upper Hutt to Wellington and don't have any point where I change gear. :)

I live in Christchurch :p Although I can ride some hills on 44:17, the trouble with a fixie is coming back down them :crazy:
JohnnyC
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby danose on Tue 24/Feb/09 1:32pm

JohnnyC wrote:the trouble with a fixie is coming back down them :crazy:

exactly! fixed/free would make more sense - either that or knees that can rev to about 200rpm :D
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby JohnnyC on Tue 24/Feb/09 1:41pm

danose wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:the trouble with a fixie is coming back down them :crazy:

exactly! fixed/free would make more sense - either that or knees that can rev to about 200rpm :D

Yeah it would, dunno if I want to swap my wheel at the top of every hill though. It would need a back brake to go with it too, I cringe when I see all the SS road bikes out there with a freewheel and only a front brake :crazy:
JohnnyC

Postby thorg on Tue 24/Feb/09 1:43pm

JohnnyC wrote:I live in Christchurch :p Although I can ride some hills on 44:17, the trouble with a fixie is coming back down them :crazy:
I mash around Welly (when fixed) in 45:16, means I can come down at around 50kmh without removing my legs at the hip :p Ups are a bit of a slog, but you get really used to pushing big gears and spinning with each ride :) I'd give fixie a go, just ride the biggest gear you can for the hills you have, and the knees you have.
thorg
"what blog?"

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 24/Feb/09 1:48pm

44:17 for my commute around auckland, used to push 48:16 when i was a courier but.... nah not anymore.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby danose on Tue 24/Feb/09 1:49pm

JohnnyC wrote:Yeah it would, dunno if I want to swap my wheel at the top of every hill though. It would need a back brake to go with it too, I cringe when I see all the SS road bikes out there with a freewheel and only a front brake :crazy:

seriously, I never ever ever touch my back brake on descents - if you're braking hard on the front the back is so unweighted that all the brake will do is make it skid

if we had BIG climbs (say 1000m) followed by big descents fix/free would be great - with lots of smaller but steep hills it's drive you nuts switching
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"

Postby JohnnyC on Tue 24/Feb/09 1:57pm

thorg wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:I live in Christchurch :p Although I can ride some hills on 44:17, the trouble with a fixie is coming back down them :crazy:
I mash around Welly (when fixed) in 45:16, means I can come down at around 50kmh without removing my legs at the hip :p Ups are a bit of a slog, but you get really used to pushing big gears and spinning with each ride :) I'd give fixie a go, just ride the biggest gear you can for the hills you have, and the knees you have.

My bike is fixed, and I ride hills on it sometimes, I just wouldn't want to ride hills every day to and from work

My commute is totally flat so I only ride hills when I want to
JohnnyC

Postby RJM on Thu 26/Feb/09 7:41am

Now that I think about it a SS on a flat commute might actually be safer - don't have to think about gears at lights, give ways, stop signs, round-abouts, and all the other places Motorists ignore the roadrules when it comes to cyclists :hmmm:

What sort of price do these things generally go for ?

Can you get them in full carbon ?
RJM
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby tripler on Sat 28/Feb/09 9:54pm

Seriously $1400? wow,I got an old morrison ten speed for $10 at auction and stripped it,put a 16T freewheel on the back and was primo,sold for a good profit,got a tarini 10 speed for $20 that I used for a ss hack around bike and the latest (picture below)for $50 stripped and cleaned it and nearly finished,as is its just under 8kg,if you only want a lite quik ss commuter get an older 10speed,you cant go wrong,differance between alu and steel is steel is more complient/flexable and if you acidently bend it a bit you can bend it back :) happy shopping :)
037.JPG
tripler
"I AM pushing but it won't go in,pass the grease"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby aetijerina on Mon 16/Mar/09 10:04pm

For commuting, I think the main concerns are comfort. Good tires, a comfy saddle, and a well-fitting cockpit.

I ride a Masi Speciale Fixed on a 48/16 ratio to Wellington from Titahi Bay everyday. I have made only a few changes to the bike, some I have found very useful, and some not so much.

First, I ride a Brooks B17 Standard saddle which is easily the most comfy that I have ever had the pleasure of laying my cheeks on.

Secondly, I put on some Shimano two-way pedals that are clipless on one side and platforms on the other. It means I pedal more efficiently than with just platforms or clips, but I can also just hop on and head to the dairy in my jandals.

Next, I got some Continental Gatorskin tires, which seem to be able to make any clunker feel like a racer.

Lastly, and the only change I am regretting, I put on a carbon riser bar with brooks grips. Initially, I was mainly riding the bike around the city streets and this change was perfect; it was comfortable and provided really responsive control. I am now using this bike as my commuter and put in 50km a day roundtrip. When going down hills on a fixie with a pack on, particularly Ngauranga Gorge, the pressure that builds up on the butts of your hands is certainly significant. I am considering changing back to drop-bars to give myself more than one option with hand-position because I am starting to notice a bit of strain on my shoulders as well. To be honest, I am even considering putting a rear brake on to save my knees from exploding as well downhill. I love riding a fixed-gear bike, and if I lived somewhere flatter and more central, this would be my set-up of choice, but for a 45+minute commute it is less than ideal.
aetijerina
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby skint on Mon 16/Mar/09 10:27pm

Giant Bowery might also be worth a looksee.
http://www.burkescycles.co.nz/mm5/merch ... _Code=a220
skint
"Mmmm. Cheesy toasted sandwiches."

Postby tripler on Tue 17/Mar/09 6:53pm

finished my ride a couple days ago,changed the bars as the first ones didnt cut it for cornering to well :p
007.JPG
008.JPG
006.JPG
tripler

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 19/Mar/09 12:28pm

woot!!!!
P3190907.jpg
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby tripler on Thu 19/Mar/09 8:18pm

man I love those wheels(and the whole bike)saw gold anodized seatpost,stem and drops on tardme that would of been the shit but all wrong measurements for my ride,would ave looked the bomb pimp on yours :p
tripler

Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Fixed Gear | Road Cycling | Singlespeed - Latest Posts