Re: Commuter With Alfine Hub And Suspension ?

Postby foremannz on Wed 3/Jun/15 11:31pm

I've just changed my 29er to 1x10, 36t front, 11-32t rear, and it flies on the cycleway, and you could get the 11-36t cluster if you want to trail ride it as well

You could set it up for under $300 on your existing bike if you like - I used my 29er because I could use touring bike tires on it and get a better roll than a 26er.
$62 - Race Face Single Narrow/Wide Chainring (36T)
$48 - Shimano XT M780 10 Speed Rapidfire Pod (Right)
$59 - Shimano XT M781 10 Speed Shadow Rear Derailleur
$60 - Shimano Dyna-Sys Deore XT 10 Speed Cassette (11-36T)
$36 - Shimano 10 Speed HG-X MTB Chain
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 4/Jun/15 7:56am

foremannz wrote:I've just changed my 29er to 1x10, 36t front, 11-32t rear, and it flies on the cycleway, and you could get the 11-36t cluster if you want to trail ride it as well

You could set it up for under $300 on your existing bike if you like - I used my 29er because I could use touring bike tires on it and get a better roll than a 26er.
$62 - Race Face Single Narrow/Wide Chainring (36T)
$48 - Shimano XT M780 10 Speed Rapidfire Pod (Right)
$59 - Shimano XT M781 10 Speed Shadow Rear Derailleur
$60 - Shimano Dyna-Sys Deore XT 10 Speed Cassette (11-36T)
$36 - Shimano 10 Speed HG-X MTB Chain

chuck another hundred bucks at it and get a 40t and a 16t for the cassette and it'll be entirely trail-able.

but then it's the same cost as the Alfine.... :eh:
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby bikedog on Thu 4/Jun/15 6:17pm

Any idea why people give the Alfine8 such bad press? I would have thought Shimano was a pretty good company and their products well tested and fit for purpose. Althou I know nothing about the Alfine8, other than surfing the net and reading reviews and opinions.
Are the negative posts just from people with an axe to grind in general against Shimano, and thus a white hearing?
bikedog
Member for: 3 years 5 months

Postby foremannz on Thu 4/Jun/15 7:42pm

I thought the Alfine 8 was the bullet proof option, and the Alfine 11 was the weakling?
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby znomit on Thu 4/Jun/15 8:40pm

bikedog wrote:Any idea why people give the Alfine8 such bad press?

Maybe they buy one thinking it will transform a bike into something magical that will do it all?

Theres an IGH forum over on MTBR. Its kinda quiet.
http://forums.mtbr.com/internal-gear-hubs/
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 4/Jun/15 10:53pm

I for one am very happy with my Alfine8. And is always heard the 11 was finicky, too
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby bikedog on Tue 5/Apr/16 9:22pm

Hey, I bought the INC2, great bike on concrete, but no so great on trails, the tires are definitely road only, and summer trail only, if that, they have no tread, and no suspension to protect my old bones.
Anyone have any ideas on a tire to replace the INC2 shop set-up, and forks. ..........sorry, I'm a newby, taken up riding again after taking 30 years off.
bikedog

Postby OliverBendix on Wed 6/Apr/16 10:15am

You'd have trouble getting a suspension fork short enough to not mong up the geometry I think.

Tyres wise, according to the Avanti site you have 700x37c slicks now, you could try to squeeze a skinny 29er tyre in there (29x2.0), but I'd guess it would rub.

Otherwise cyclocross tyres will fit but are not usually very fat, or touring tyres in 700x42ish sizes often have some tread.
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Rik on Wed 6/Apr/16 10:34am

OliverBendix wrote:You'd have trouble getting a suspension fork short enough to not mong up the geometry I think.

Tyres wise, according to the Avanti site you have 700x37c slicks now, you could try to squeeze a skinny 29er tyre in there (29x2.0), but I'd guess it would rub.

Otherwise cyclocross tyres will fit but are not usually very fat, or touring tyres in 700x42ish sizes often have some tread.

700c+ ? (Snigger)

Sorry I'm not helping much, am I
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby AgrAde on Wed 6/Apr/16 1:48pm

Rik wrote:
OliverBendix wrote:You'd have trouble getting a suspension fork short enough to not mong up the geometry I think.

700c+ ?

:lol:
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby dragon_style on Thu 7/Apr/16 1:18pm

Bigger tyres definitely help - the Schwalbe Mondial comes in a 50mm width which is great if your bike will fit it and works surprisingly well on road and trails. A suspension seatpost makes a huge difference even with something fairly low travel like a Thudbuster St. You can get a suspension stem from TranzX but I don't think it would do much for you.

As has been said go bigger tyres first, and maybe Ergon grips (or something with a similar flatter shape) then look at actual suspension options.
dragon_style
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby bikedog on Thu 7/Apr/16 8:03pm

Yeah, I didn't really think to hard before buying it. But I now see what you mean about stuffing up the geometry with suspension forks. Oh well, looks like I might need two bikes, one for work, and one for play. Not really what I wanted, as can't really afford it. The INC2 is pretty cool thou....and speedy on the seal, it blows mountain bikes into the weeds!
bikedog

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 8/Apr/16 7:40am

N+1=correct answer.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 8/Apr/16 2:03pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:N+1=correct answer.

and s-1

s = separation from partner due to too many damned bikes...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 8/Apr/16 2:13pm

swtchbckr wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:N+1=correct answer.

and s-1

s = separation from partner due to too many damned bikes...

Yes, but it doesn't sound like that's the OP's problem.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts