Commuter Bike Lights

Postby WayneG on Tue 24/Jun/08 7:41am

Ok so my light has given up as it's time for a newer one. What are people using? The good and the bads of all of them out there. I don't want to spend over $100. Most my riding is around town but with the odd dark road throwing in for fun.
WayneG
"Look mum I can fly"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby psychavoc on Tue 24/Jun/08 9:03am

The Blackburn Voyager 3 is super-bright! :0 Can spot it so clearly from a distance. My husband even used his attached to his helmet for night-riding a couple of times (granted - he did crash the last time he did it, then got a proper night riding light.. but it's extremely bright for what it is!). Plus the mounting system is easy to attach to different sized handlebars and you don't even need to use a screwdriver :thumbsup:
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 24/Jun/08 9:36am

The evil online bikestore (trepodo8-1) empire has some really nice 1w led ones for $23. they's super bright and pretty good...
i use mine for riding up hill too.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby danose on Tue 24/Jun/08 12:48pm

swtchbckr wrote: The evil online bikestore (trepodo8-1) empire has some really nice 1w led ones for $23. they's super bright and pretty good...
i use mine for riding up hill too.

amazingly good value for money - I've got one for commuting and it's bright enough I can see motorists wincing when they look in my direction :thumbsup:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 24/Jun/08 1:32pm

yeah, i love that.
>FLASH< (see me you bastards!)>FLASH< (see me you bastards!)>FLASH< (see me you bastards!)>FLASH< (see me you bastards!)>FLASH< (see me you bastards!)>FLASH< (see me you bastards!)>FLASH< (see me you bastards!)>FLASH< (see me you bastards!)>FLASH< (see me you bastards!)>FLASH< (see me you bastards!)
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby danose on Tue 24/Jun/08 1:38pm

swtchbckr wrote: yeah, i love that.
>FLASH< (see me you bastards!)>FLASH< (see me you bastards!)>FLASH< (see me you bastards!)>FLASH< (see me you bastards!)>FLASH< (see me you bastards!)>FLASH< (see me you bastards!)>FLASH< (see me you bastards!)>FLASH< (see me you bastards!)>FLASH< (see me you bastards!)>FLASH< (see me you bastards!)

imagine an iBlast-II in flashing mode for commuting - you'd get to see smoke curling out of their eye sockets :satan:
danose

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 24/Jun/08 1:59pm

danose wrote:

imagine an iBlast-II in flashing mode for commuting - you'd get to see smoke curling out of their eye sockets :satan:

:D
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby Spokes on Tue 24/Jun/08 2:31pm

Riding home from work one day I had my helmet light on (NF Photon Max). Guy in car yells at me about getting of the road as he drove past. Next set of lights I sit next to them with light on flashing and look in to car. Much funnyness. Took them 30 secs or so to realise the lights had gone green.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby OliverBendix on Tue 24/Jun/08 3:45pm

I have a Cateye EL-320, it's bright enough and not too bad on battery life, but fails in really heavy rain.

If you're going to get a Cateye, learn from my mistake and get one that's waterproof.
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 25/Jun/08 10:02am

Spokes wrote: Riding home from work one day I had my helmet light on (NF Photon Max). Guy in car yells at me about getting of the road as he drove past. Next set of lights I sit next to them with light on flashing and look in to car. Much funnyness. Took them 30 secs or so to realise the lights had gone green.

I like to do that with my homebuilt , 35Watt IRC halogen, brick battery. heading back across town from a night ride... car is naughty, driver is blinded...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

New Zealand Is Light Years Behind With Lights For Bikes

Postby alinkyoto on Thu 26/Jun/08 11:03pm

Imagine having to fix lights on your car every time you went out, and then having the batteries go flat half way through a trip ,- and only having lights that made you visible but didn't provide actual light to see by ..... Not only inconvenient, but downright dangerous.

Meanwhile, wherever cycling is well established, internal hub dynamo powered light sensor activated halogen lights with capacitors to keep them going at intersections are pretty much standard ..... - and should be required to be fitted on bikes intended for use in urban settings here. Convenient, safe, effective sustainable technologies.
Why can't cyclists get them in New Zealand ?

Shine on...

http://urbanbicycles.googlepages.com/li ... chnologies
alinkyoto
Member for: 10 years 3 months

RE: New Zealand Is Light Years Behind With Lights For Bikes

Postby danose on Fri 27/Jun/08 9:45am

alinkyoto wrote: Imagine having to fix lights on your car every time you went out, and then having the batteries go flat half way through a trip ,- and only having lights that made you visible but didn't provide actual light to see by ..... Not only inconvenient, but downright dangerous.

even the whizziest busch&muller setup fails to put out the illumination of a 20w irc halogen - simply because if you built the generator to put out enough power no-one would want to ride it (30W+ resistance)

for touring I can see the point - but for commuting it's a case of too costly, too complex - remembering to charge your lights isn't that big an issue (and with current battery/led tech that's a once every other week issue)

also, for most commuters lights are to make YOU visible - only people commuting outside areas with road lighting need enough to see the road (and then something like an ayup on the helmet with a 6hr battery ticks all the boxes)
danose

RE: New Zealand Is Light Years Behind With Lights For Bikes

Postby Spokes on Fri 27/Jun/08 9:57am

alinkyoto wrote: Imagine having to fix lights on your car every time you went out, and then having the batteries go flat half way through a trip ,- and only having lights that made you visible but didn't provide actual light to see by ..... Not only inconvenient, but downright dangerous.

Meanwhile, wherever cycling is well established, internal hub dynamo powered light sensor activated halogen lights with capacitors to keep them going at intersections are pretty much standard ..... - and should be required to be fitted on bikes intended for use in urban settings here. Convenient, safe, effective sustainable technologies.
Why can't cyclists get them in New Zealand ?

Shine on...

http://urbanbicycles.googlepages.com/li ... chnologies

Umm, Ive got one in stock?
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 27/Jun/08 10:17am

you've got some of those I-flasher Reelights??

Where, when? how much???
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby Spokes on Fri 27/Jun/08 10:27am

No Ive got a bike with hub dynamo lights on.
Spokes

Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Cycling Lights - Latest Posts