Re: Commuter Bike Lights

Postby happybaboon on Sat 14/Jun/14 12:23pm

Yah I hope not :paranoid:

It's also a shame it's not particularly adjustable or stickable to many points on the bicycle. Basically only suited to the seat post and it sits there only how it wants to. I've got it angled out slightly so it's more visible to cars following.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Postby Flyboy on Wed 18/Jun/14 3:34pm

My one of these turned up yesterday.

http://www.fasttech.com/product/1425600 ... 1800-lumen

Now I dont have any way of measuring the lumens, and I think its a fair way off the 1800 claimed. but compared to other 900 lumen lights from more reputable sources, its noticably brighter.

So its a win in my book; the parts are all nicely made although the elastic on the headstrap could be better quality.

Will serve my purposes; head lamp for in the dark, handlebar mount for the bike, suitable focus/spread for night-lighting varmints like rabbits, possums & the neighbours yappy fecking dogs.

tl;dr - for the price, its hard to complain
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby peterjdaly on Wed 18/Jun/14 8:47pm

Anyone on here read my other thread?

Summary: are off road helmet lights too bright for road use, given that a turn of the head can blind a driver?

Just asking.
peterjdaly
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby Simonk on Wed 18/Jun/14 9:07pm

peterjdaly wrote:Anyone on here read my other thread?

Summary: are off road helmet lights too bright for road use, given that a turn of the head can blind a driver?

Just asking.

They can usually be switched to a low power mode and dipped, but it does seem a few riders forget this and piss off their fellow road users on a regular basis.

However, when I checked the crash stats a couple of years ago, this hadn't lead to any reported crashes in the Wellington region in the last decade. On the flip-side of the coin, there had been over 50 crashes involving bike lights that were too dim/not working/non-existant over the same period of time in the Wellington region.
Simonk
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby peterjdaly on Wed 18/Jun/14 9:32pm

Simonk wrote:

Just asking.

They can usually be switched to a low power mode and dipped, but it does seem a few riders forget this and piss off their fellow road users on a regular basis.

However, when I checked the crash stats a couple of years ago, this hadn't lead to any reported crashes in the Wellington region in the last decade. On the flip-side of the coin, there had been over 50 crashes involving bike lights that were too dim/not working/non-existant over the same period of time in the Wellington region.

Now THATS informative. Out of interest who gathered the stats re dim lights?
peterjdaly

Postby Simonk on Wed 18/Jun/14 10:40pm

The stats come from the national Crash Analysis System (i.e. Police and NZTA). Essentially it's a call made by the police officer investigating the crash. Defining 'dim' is tricky since the reg's only require that a bike light be visible from 100m in fine conditions - viewed against a black background, even a candle will pass that test.
Simonk

Postby laworder on Wed 18/Jun/14 10:51pm

Just asking.

I did, and in my view some drivers cannot be blinded are they are already effectively blind....
laworder
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby peterjdaly on Thu 19/Jun/14 6:17am

laworder wrote:

Just asking.

I did, and in my view some drivers cannot be blinded are they are already effectively blind....

That's a truism right there.
peterjdaly

Postby peterjdaly on Thu 19/Jun/14 11:51am

laworder wrote:

Just asking.

peterjdaly

Postby laworder on Fri 20/Jun/14 4:48am

peterjdaly wrote:
laworder wrote:

Just asking.

That and that too many of them are frigging TXTING FFS, how stupid can anyone get?
laworder

Postby Simonk on Fri 24/Apr/15 3:59pm

If you're wondering what to get to replace that fading old bike light from last winter, check out the results of Greater Wellington Regional Council's annual lights testing here: http://www.gw.govt.nz/be-safe-be-seen/

The testing measures illuminance at 0, 20 and 45 degrees. For a light to attract attention at intersections, it's no good just casting a heap of light straight ahead. But it's no good throwing lumens in all directions either - you're never going to be hit by something approaching from below or above.

This test is for lights under $100. If you like what you see, there's also a 20% discount voucher for the best-in-test on the same webpage (redeemable as 13 bike shops in the Wellington region). All the best lights are now rechargeable, have a low battery indicator, and certainly bright enough to improve your chances of being noticed by tired motorists amongst a sea of other lights.
Simonk

Postby goldfish on Fri 24/Apr/15 6:27pm

Nice one! :thumbsup:
goldfish
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby laworder on Sat 25/Apr/15 11:14am

Simonk wrote:If you're wondering what to get to replace that fading old bike light from last winter, check out the results of Greater Wellington Regional Council's annual lights testing here: http://www.gw.govt.nz/be-safe-be-seen/

The testing measures illuminance at 0, 20 and 45 degrees. For a light to attract attention at intersections, it's no good just casting a heap of light straight ahead. But it's no good throwing lumens in all directions either - you're never going to be hit by something approaching from below or above.

This test is for lights under $100. If you like what you see, there's also a 20% discount voucher for the best-in-test on the same webpage (redeemable as 13 bike shops in the Wellington region). All the best lights are now rechargeable, have a low battery indicator, and certainly bright enough to improve your chances of being noticed by tired motorists amongst a sea of other lights.

Thanks for that. Already have a Lezyne Macro Drive on my helmet, but one of my other lights has stopped working, so I need to replace it for winter, plus get some more rear facing ones

Regards
Peter
laworder

Postby Dougal on Sat 25/Apr/15 11:27am

Simonk wrote:If you're wondering what to get to replace that fading old bike light from last winter, check out the results of Greater Wellington Regional Council's annual lights testing here: http://www.gw.govt.nz/be-safe-be-seen/

Interesting results, thanks. Direct link to PDF here: http://www.gw.govt.nz/assets/Transport/ ... 2015_2.pdf

I prefer to night ride with a big light and an LED. I run the LED on the bars all the time and just switch on the big one when the going gets tricky. My previous LED lamp was wide beam and not enough. Most of the commuter models I found were competing for brightness at the expense of run-time. USB recharge is also a big negative for me as you can't swap batteries in a hurry if you're caught out with it dying mid-ride.

I found this one (not in their test) to be a good compromise: https://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/HL-EL135/
On roads it's good, but on trails it's focused too narrow and I had to use black tape to stop the glare out the top into my eyes.
So I've now got my old broad beam mounted next to this bright narrow beam and enough light to ride the river track without needing the big moon beam.

Which is good, because an impromptu night-ride always finds the big lights out of juice and the charger nowhere to be found.
Dougal
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Simonk on Sat 25/Apr/15 2:27pm

We tested the Cateye EL135 a couple of years ago (when we teamed up with ConsumerNZ - https://www.consumer.org.nz/products/bike-lights The test results are still there, but the photos are a bit mixed up) . It was pretty average and has been superceeded by Cateye's brilliant Volt lights. The EL135 is no longer available in Wellington bike shops.
Simonk

Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Cycling Lights - Latest Posts