Combined Bmx Dirt Jump And Skills Area For Tawa

Postby DougW on Wed 31/Jan/07 12:09pm

Hi I am trying to organise an upgrade to the exsiting BMX track in TAWA to allow people to do dirt jumps, practice skills etc to compliment the upgraded skills area on Makara Peak

I am not a biker myself, but am a parent of two keen bikers whoe have got together with about 10 or 12 of their friends and are doing dirt jumps all around Tawa.

The community board is keen on the idea and is willing to support it, and have asked me to make a submission and proposal - this has been based on stuff provided by the Makara Peak supporters - THANKS GUYS.

I am the only adult amongst a group of teenage boys and wonder if there is anyone else in the Tawa area that would be willing to assist me, and who has more biking experience

The Makara Peak club has my initial proposals and drawings put together by the boys

Thanks
DougW
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby Natral on Wed 31/Jan/07 12:38pm

Count me in for a dig day :thumbsup: :)
Natral
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby DougW on Wed 31/Jan/07 12:42pm

Thanks Muchly
DougW

Postby DougW on Wed 31/Jan/07 3:22pm

bump
DougW

Postby DougW on Wed 31/Jan/07 6:49pm

bump
DougW

Postby NFDC_FrEeRiDeR on Wed 31/Jan/07 6:53pm

id also be keen to help. where abouts is the bmx track in tawa?
NFDC_FrEeRiDeR
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby DougW on Wed 31/Jan/07 7:30pm

Just next to the Tawa railway station off duncan ave
DougW

Postby DougW on Wed 31/Jan/07 7:30pm

BTW thanks for you offer for help - will get more organised once I see what council is offering and get a few more adults involved
DougW

Postby Baz on Thu 1/Feb/07 3:55pm

NFDC_FrEeRiDeR wrote: id also be keen to help. where abouts is the bmx track in tawa?

there isnt much of a track there at the moment. just a track with tires that is covered in grass. needs alot of work. but could be good once we have permision and the dirt for it.
Baz
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby DougW on Thu 8/Feb/07 9:04pm

The wellington council is asking for submissions on their mountain bike policy - please when you make your submissions indicate that skills area and training area would be really great in the northern suburbs, and esepcially arouond TAWA

http://www.wellington.govt.nz/haveyours ... iking.html
DougW

Postby DougW on Tue 20/Feb/07 10:21pm

WCC officer is coming to the track to see what they can do, and what we can do. Anyone willing to give their two cents worth is welcome

Key as I see it is to get the council to fund the main upgrade, and then get the detailed skills and jumps built by the locals

Meeting at the track at 4:00pm on 22nd
DougW

Postby stilllife on Thu 1/Mar/07 1:33pm

good luck.this park will be popular with people from northern suburbs
stilllife
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby DougW on Thu 1/Mar/07 3:45pm

Council seems to be very keen to provide the core track - we may just need to provide some of the jumps etc, so its looking good.
DougW

Postby Oldenuff2start on Sat 3/Mar/07 2:57pm

Happy to help :cool:
Oldenuff2start
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby DougW on Mon 19/Mar/07 8:07am

GREAT NEWS

Council has agreed to fund all resource consents and key project management, to get the core infrastructure in place for the track.

Tawa Community board has given us a grant of $4500 to fund the building of wooden skills similar to the Makara peak ones.

I will let you know more about it as I get more information :)
DougW

BMX Riding | Cycling | Dirt Jumping (BMX) | Dirt Jumping (MTB) | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington Region - Latest Posts