clips
41%
flats
59%

Total voters : 139

Re: Clips Or Flats??

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 13th Oct 6:47pm

Dredge.

After a few months playing on flats, I'm back on the clips.
But after the feel of the flats all the clips I've tried (my old ones, and a couple of others) feel like I'm standing on an ice cube.
I'm looking for a shoe / pedal interface with the best of both.
Pedals are Shimano m424 and m530, and DMR v-twin - which I thought was going to be the magic bullet. Turns out that the AM45 shoes I'm using are still way above the pedal platform even with the spacers installed.

So I'm thinking different shoes. I'd been planning getting a pair of the Shimano AM9, as I like the AM7 I'm using with flats. But I suspect that the cleat recess is a similar depth to the AM45, and will still not touch the platform.

As cleat recess depth doesn't seem to be one of the listed features on shoe descriptions, does anyone have a recommendation for the perfect shoes for my feet?
The 5.10 Minaar looks hot, and is on special on crc, and there are many others around the same price as the Shimano ones.

I've got slim feet, low arches, and prefer laces with a cover. What's hot?
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Slapheid on Tue 17th Oct 2:54pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:....I've got slim feet, low arches, and prefer laces with a cover. What's hot?

Ans: Flats...

Swoon.. :love: :love:
Slapheid
"Good things come to those who gate."
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 17th Oct 4:44pm

Slapheid wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:....I've got slim feet, low arches, and prefer laces with a cover. What's hot?

Ans: Flats...

Ah, c'mon. Didja read my post?
I had a nudge on flats, found some things to like, found some lacking skillz, and want the best of both.

If I had spare time to ride moar I'd stick with the flats, but kiddies are keeping it down to ~2hrs a week max. I want to have the maximum fun in the time available.
Velocipedestrian

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 1st Nov 3:52pm

Update as a PSA:
Discovered I'm more of a dinosaur than I thought, the old shoes are MP66 not AM45.

Got some new AM9s... The cleat recess is deep enough to allow contact with the platform of the DMR v-twin once weighted. I've added pins to the front corners to ensure contact full time, while (hopefully) retaining easy release.

Testing tonight.
Velocipedestrian

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts