Total voters : 139

Re: Clips Or Flats??

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 14/Oct/14 1:04pm

:D
Pole needs updating:
Clipless
Flats
Toe clips

Coz #Enduroing in toe clips is heaps saferer than flats.

(clipz fo' lyf)
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby michael on Tue 14/Oct/14 2:00pm

Colin wrote:
Simonius_Titius wrote:

It is less surprising that Pinkbike won't run this eminently LOLable story about one of their advertisers. :(

Richard Cunningham, the Technical Editor for Pinkbike - is that the same Richard Cunningham that always let the advertising dollar dictate his opinions at MBActiondvertising?

Yes, yes he is
michael
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 14/Oct/14 2:06pm

michael wrote:
Colin wrote:
Simonius_Titius wrote:

It is less surprising that Pinkbike won't run this eminently LOLable story about one of their advertisers. :(

Richard Cunningham, the Technical Editor for Pinkbike - is that the same Richard Cunningham that always let the advertising dollar dictate his opinions at MBActiondvertising?

Yes, yes he is

What a cluster fuck that enve wheel thing turns into
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 14/Oct/14 2:33pm

Wobbler wrote:
michael wrote:
Colin wrote:
Simonius_Titius wrote:

Yes, yes he is

Corruption in a free sponsor-supported industry site? Achtung!!! Someone report this to the GamerGate guys quick so they can make some death threats.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby dwgknz on Tue 14/Oct/14 3:21pm

Wobbler wrote:
michael wrote:
Colin wrote:
Simonius_Titius wrote:

Yes, yes he is

Was that the end of Brad Walton's Pinkbike writing gig?
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Postby wuffy on Tue 14/Oct/14 3:57pm

What about flatclips?
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby michael on Tue 14/Oct/14 4:07pm

dwgknz wrote:Was that the end of Brad Walton's Pinkbike writing gig?

Looks like it more or less was, I'd imagine after something like that you probably wouldn't want to continue with it anyway.

One of those situations where the proper way forward is putting all the facts on the table, including the fact that "some times stuff explodes".

I have been thinking a bit about "Corruption in a free sponsor-supported industry site" recently, and of course to apply the word corruption you need to settle on a definition of the purpose of the subject in the first place, which there isn't really, outside of providing entertainment.

Normally not a fan of glowing airbrushed product reviews. I think though in the case of pinkbike, when you look at the quantity and spectacular quality of their event coverage department over the last couple of seasons, I'm quite comfortable for them to send the integrity of the parts magpies section down the creek.
michael

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 14/Oct/14 6:21pm

michael wrote:... I have been thinking a bit about "Corruption in a free sponsor-supported industry site" recently, and of course to apply the word corruption you need to settle on a definition of the purpose of the subject in the first place, which there isn't really, outside of providing entertainment. ...

[sarcasm]
To remain above suspicion of corruption, "entertainment" articles should be clearly marked as such, e.g.:
"Review of X"
"Three new X'es compared"
"The new X - worth upgrading?"
"We test the latest X"
[/sarcasm]
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"

Postby Farm on Tue 14/Oct/14 6:49pm

How common are negative reviews of anything now? I can't remember the last one I read.
Farm
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Scotty on Tue 14/Oct/14 7:50pm

michael wrote:I have been thinking a bit about "Corruption in a free sponsor-supported industry site" recently, and of course to apply the word corruption you need to settle on a definition of the purpose of the subject in the first place, which there isn't really, outside of providing entertainment.

On the bright side, Vorb no longer has any sponsors, so that's not a problem around here. :paranoid: :(
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby michael on Tue 14/Oct/14 11:45pm

I was more meaning I don't think a lot of people really take reviews all that seriously, as per Farms comment above.
michael

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sat 1/Nov/14 11:38pm

It's science feggits
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby Kev on Sun 2/Nov/14 4:39am

Well, those results were somewhat unexpected.
Kev
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sun 2/Nov/14 3:48pm

There will be some cadence where the performance of flats flattens off, while clipless are happy to spin faster.

Optimum pedal height may be a little different.

Rider skill and style will make a big difference. I'm a spinner and am hopeless with flats.

Farm wrote:How common are negative reviews of anything now? I can't remember the last one I read.

Maybe that has to do with the business model of the media you read.
Remember "independent" YouTube reviewers are dependent on the industry for advance copies, and presumably money and favours are available too.

I noticed the NZ Herald's games writer doesn't seem to be in the pocket of the game producers. The heading "2014 - worst year ever for games?" would suggest independence.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/games/news/headlines.cfm?c_id=38
Simonius_Titius

Postby Wobbler on Sun 2/Nov/14 4:01pm

Anyone looking forward to battlefield hardline can be disregarded as a mong
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts