Is Climbing A Selfish Sport?

Postby Fraser on Tue 5/Jan/10 6:47am

It does strike me as quite a ruthless sport. Discuss
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Re: Is Climbing A Selfish Sport?

Postby VERT on Tue 5/Jan/10 6:53am

Selfish? Why do you say that? And are you referring to all climbing or just Ice Climbing?
VERT
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby danose on Tue 5/Jan/10 8:54am

maybe he means 'is climbing a shellfish sport?' - after all we have big mussels :p
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby dented on Tue 5/Jan/10 8:57am

You dont get it, his wifes name is Ruth.
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby wgtngrl on Tue 5/Jan/10 10:32am

I don't think ruthless and selfish are necessarily the same thing, but I think any athlete at any level can become selfish to some extent in the name of their sport, no matter what the sport is.
wgtngrl
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Butch on Tue 5/Jan/10 10:58am

danose wrote:maybe he means 'is climbing a shellfish sport?' - after all we have big mussels :p

Take my wife! PLEEEEEEASE

Thanks folks, I'm here all week. Try the clam chowder!
Butch
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space!"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Tue 5/Jan/10 11:14am

Rockclimbing especially sport climbing, even up to low altitude big walls, is no more or less selfish than most other sports. Alpine climbing, especially the high altitude stuff is inherently selfish. Even on "safe" climbs there's a high chance of injury/karking it compared to most activities, so proponents must be prepared to put their desires above their wellbeing, and, the wellbeing of those who depend on them. I gave up mountaineering principally because I reached a point in my life where my responsibilities to the important people in my life were more important to me than the activity. I still want to get back into it, but after the kids have grown up.

In saying this activities like motor racing, base jumping etc are also highly risky so they fall into the same category...
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby SlackBoy on Tue 5/Jan/10 11:29am

But so is having kids Crusty. You're not just a hardcore risk taker, you're MADCORE!!!!!
SlackBoy

Postby rmare on Tue 5/Jan/10 11:43am

No sport is selfish, the people who climb may or may not be. It is something you can do together with your partner, or kids once they are old enough. Or it may be selfish to hold a partner back from climbing if that is their passion. It's all a give and take thing if you have different hobbies and young children, have turns at time away. As for the danger factor, it's something you have to weigh up yourself. In my opinion life is for living, but in saying that I'm a bit more careful and aware now we have kids.
rmare
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby Simonk on Tue 5/Jan/10 1:15pm

I took my little girl (two and a half) for a climb up to the snow on Ruapehu last week. On the way up she had a go at a bit of bouldering, tripped and grazed her knee. She cried.
When we got onto the snow she slipped over and cried.
On the way down she got scared and cried.
Near the bottom she got bored and fell asleep!
I'm so shellfish. Boo hoo.

[Note to CYPS lurkers - she also had lots of giggles and enjoyed some amazing views out past Taranaki]
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Tue 5/Jan/10 8:58pm

SlackBoy wrote:But so is having kids Crusty. You're not just a hardcore risk taker, you're MADCORE!!!!!
I Do live life on the edge. Having kids is totally selfish, especially when you intend to hothouse them into steel thighed mtb warriors from hell!!!!
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby SlackBoy on Tue 5/Jan/10 9:07pm

Holy genetic disadvantage batman
SlackBoy

Postby Oli on Tue 5/Jan/10 10:02pm

:D
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby fatwombat on Wed 6/Jan/10 3:19pm

CrustyMTB wrote:
SlackBoy wrote:But so is having kids Crusty. You're not just a hardcore risk taker, you're MADCORE!!!!!
I Do live life on the edge. Having kids is totally selfish, especially when you intend to hothouse them into steel thighed mtb warriors from hell!!!!

Yeah, right.

Kids really hate having the chance to get out and burn off their precious energy reserves, they really hate having to do things that involve having fun with parents, they really hate overcoming challenges and achieving goals, they really hate the recognition and self validation that comes from doing their best at something. I'm surprised mine haven't gone and lodged complaints with CYF. Oli and Sifter likewise should be in jail for forcing their kids into Makara Bike Park. :rolleyes:

Some parents are selfish (everyone is selfish to some extent) - but as a thing to do, parenting has to be one of the most selfless choices anyone can make.
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 6/Jan/10 3:25pm

Shut the fuck up Wombat.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Climbing | Ice Climbing - Latest Posts