Clifton And Richmond Hill

Postby howfar2go on Sun 1/Jan/12 7:12pm

Christcurch. Went up Clifton Terrace and at the end of the road climbed the fence and rode up the track to the Summit Road. Turned right rode for fifty metres and turned left, proceeded up farm track to Gun emplacements. pure Bliss. Then I returned to the summit road and into Greenwood reserve. Headed down a shingle road to Richmond Hill (Thru an old golf course) and flew down a tarsealed road.
What earthquake. Seemed very safe to me. Will do the reverse trip to tomorrow. I loved it so much to be back on the hills
howfar2go
Member for: 5 years 11 months

Re: Clifton And Richmond Hill

Postby RJD on Mon 2/Jan/12 10:08am

You missed the huge blocks of concrete propping up the road on the way up then?
RJD
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby scatter on Mon 2/Jan/12 10:48am

:ib:

Greenwoods has always been open :eh:
And what earthquake? :lol:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby howfar2go on Mon 2/Jan/12 3:06pm

RJD wrote:You missed the huge blocks of concrete propping up the road on the way up then?

Didn't see any.
You only notice the earthquake damage at the bottom of Richmond Hill.

Feel safe though, no huge rockfalls or cliffs. The tracks are like riding through grass fields
howfar2go

Postby Symon-the-fireman on Mon 2/Jan/12 5:11pm

This earthquake!
Speaking as one who was on Evans Pass in February, I'd keep an eye "uphill" when riding those tracks. Dodging car sized boulders is no fun I can tell you.
Evans Pass 26kb.jpg
Last edited by Symon-the-fireman on Tue 3/Jan/12 8:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Symon-the-fireman
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Mon 2/Jan/12 5:34pm

Symon-the-fireman wrote:This eartquake!
Speaking as one who was on Evans Pass in February, I'd keep an eye "uphill" when riding those tracks. Dodging car sized boulders is no fun I can tell you.

especially in roadie shoes...
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby howfar2go on Wed 4/Jan/12 7:45am

Symon-the-fireman wrote:This earthquake!

I appreciate what you say and it must have been extremely traumatic to say the least in what you experienced but Clifton Terrace to the Summit road does not have huge cliffs around it or exposed boulders. Nothing like Evans pass. What is not covered in housing has grass growing on it. I feel Rapaki would be much more exposed.
howfar2go

Postby RJD on Wed 4/Jan/12 10:09am

You so wouldnt want to have been on cliftons lower section in June. I almost was , wasnt pretty.
RJD
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycling | Freeriding (MTB) | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts