Cleaning Rough Sawn Timber Structure

Postby G on Sun 18/Mar/12 6:56pm

Just wondering what people have used to clean structures that have become slippy? ultimately i want to paint them with a latex paint sand mix but need to 'clean' them first. 30 seconds etc are long acting biodegradable etc but i just want results and plan to hit the structures hard with net bleach maybe and a hard scrubbing brush. any tips and tricks would be appreciated
G
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Cleaning Rough Sawn Timber Structure

Postby neels on Sun 18/Mar/12 7:04pm

waterblaster.
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby G on Sun 18/Mar/12 7:10pm

can't really lug a waterblaster or the hose around a mtb trail
G

Postby turbopete on Sun 18/Mar/12 10:59pm

Could try sugar soap, it cleans most house parts. We (the missus, not me) bought mould killer from Resene which is a lot like bleach, I think 1:5 bleach would be plenty strong enough.
turbopete
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby G on Mon 19/Mar/12 10:21am

Cool thanks, turbopete....i was planning on hitting it pretty hard maybe 1:2 with water and hard brush to really kick it's arse :)
G

Postby ALBEERPOTATO on Mon 19/Mar/12 5:12pm

Try a wire brush and a bit of h2O
ALBEERPOTATO
"Effort brings Reward!"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 20/Mar/12 12:03am

Bleach will nuke fungus at a much lower concentration than that, and a weaker solution is a lot easier to handle. It will also kill lycra. Wire brush sounds good. Wear glasses to keep flickage out of your eyes.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby hpg on Tue 20/Mar/12 7:23am

If you want to kill moss and mould, use a good moss and mould killer. Apply at the recommended strength and then leave it to the weather, at least for a couple of weeks.
hpg
Member for: 11 years 11 months

nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby cruiser on Tue 20/Mar/12 9:42am

i've done what you are doing before in the woops. A 5L pressure sprayer, bleach, wirebrush and a hard scrubbing brush did the job good. Rinse from top down after brush and she's good.

Bleach is cheap and breaks down quick.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby G on Tue 20/Mar/12 10:12am

mean thanks guys, yeah i guess a 1:2 ratio would be a bit scary. now just need to get up there and have decent prediction of when it's gunna rain :)
will let you know how i get on and how the latex paint/sand combo goes too...that recipe has been stolen from Canada, so not completely new.
G

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 20/Mar/12 6:31pm

Products for removing algae or lichen are likely to contain copper sulphate. Cyanobacteria use copper to do photosynthesis and are easily poisoned by it, I don't know how much it takes to damage the downstream food chain but it might not be a lot.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Cycling | Trail Building - Latest Posts