Calendar Event: May 17, 2009

City Safari, Wellington 2009

Postby sifter on Sat 2/May/09 2:21pm

Sunday 17 May is the 2009 edition of the City Safari. See http://www.citysafari.org.nz

This event is great opportunity to "race" with someone you can't normally "compete" with, e.g. your kids, partner, etc. A map event, where jumping off the bus and nipping into a cafe is fair game!

I'm doing it with my bro, and Kaitlyn again this year. Last year we caught the train to J'ville, and climbed Kau Kau and a few hours later finished off with a charge down Wrights Hill through the bot gardens back to the city.
sifter
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Re: City Safari, Wellington 2009

Postby sifter on Sun 17/May/09 6:05pm

Awesome event!

Katy, my bro and I caught the train out to Crofton Downs, then made our ways on foot to Karori Fire Station via Otari, and the cemetary track. Who knew there's an 800 year old rimu at Otari?

We caught a bus to Karori Park, then popped up to the pump track, hauled up Wrights Hill, down to St John's pool, then up Tinakori Hill. We missed a bus at Northland by about 30 seconds! We gave up waiting too soon, and it passed us just around the corner. We gave up on a cuba mall control sitting on a bus on Lambton Quay. We figured none of us was that keen on a mad dash back to Queen's Wharf.

We visited 18 controls, and explored some places none of us had been! It was awesome, and cool to be able to do it as a family. :)
sifter

Postby Joel on Sun 17/May/09 6:07pm

sounds like great fun, i look forward to it in a couple of years when i can take zane along.. :thumbsup:
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby Jono on Sun 17/May/09 6:10pm

Yeah - I saw a couple of people walking down towards crofton downs as I was heading up towards skyline. They said something about "it's windy up there". They were right...
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby Colin on Sun 17/May/09 8:42pm

Couldn't sell it to my girl :( But we did go out for hot chockie & muffin's at Scorch-o-Rama. The breeze was refreshing

Pleased you'all got out and about John.
Colin
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby benw on Sun 17/May/09 9:01pm

Colin wrote:Couldn't sell it to my girl :( But we did go out for hot chockie & muffin's at Scorch-o-Rama. The breeze was refreshing

Pleased you'all got out and about John.

Was that your Cotic parked outside Mitre 10 in Lyall Bay this morning per chance, I did wonder at the time...but I've never seen it actually on a car before so wasn't sure!
benw
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Colin on Sun 17/May/09 10:12pm

Nope

No riding this week-end
Colin
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby rockit on Mon 18/May/09 10:05am

Windy f'sure!

PDWR and I retained our mixed title.. just! Equal points with the legends that are Jill Westenra, Al Cross and Jerry Sheppard, but we were home a couple of min before them... Not sure how we managed that.

Train out to Raroa, up to Kaukau along to Ngaio being blown from side to side of the 4WD track, train back up to boxhill and back in through the streets over to Tinakori via the bottom of Ngaio gorge and a mad little track straight up to Wadestown. Down into Otari, up and down a bit, out through the cemetary to Karori Sanctury back through to the Botanic Gardens, down the cable car and home.
rockit
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby sifter on Mon 18/May/09 10:33am

rockit wrote:Windy f'sure!

PDWR and I retained our mixed title.. just! Equal points with the legends that are Jill Westenra, Al Cross and Jerry Sheppard, but we were home a couple of min before them... Not sure how we managed that.

Train out to Raroa, up to Kaukau along to Ngaio being blown from side to side of the 4WD track, train back up to boxhill and back in through the streets over to Tinakori via the bottom of Ngaio gorge and a mad little track straight up to Wadestown. Down into Otari, up and down a bit, out through the cemetary to Karori Sanctury back through to the Botanic Gardens, down the cable car and home.

Sweet! Well done to you both!

I just watched Katy and her year 4 cobbers do a lap of Euan Galloway park and the BMX track for their school cross country. What a bunch of troopers :love:
sifter

Lower North Island | New Zealand | Orienteering | Regions | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts