Calendar Event: December 20, 2008

OR: Christmas Party Rogaine, Wellington

Postby sifter on Tue 9/Dec/08 3:34pm

Orienteering Hutt Valley is holding a Christmas Party Rogaine at Pencarrow.

This is an area that has not been used for rogaining or orienteering before. A 4 hour Saturday afternoon rogaine- followed by a beach BBQ. And the best thing about it, is its free to enter. There will be a $10 charge for the BBQ after the event. Registration and maps from 1pm. Start 2pm. Finish 6pm. Followed by on the beach BBQ. The event starts with a short bike ride (15-30 mins depending on wind and fitness) to the Lakes, with a few controls available along the way. On arrival at the Lakes you are given a second detailed map of the Lakes area. This section you can choose to do on MTB or on foot. (Foot rogainers receive a 10% bonus!) Bikes can be left at a designated area, complete with a security guard. You will need to allow time to ride back along the coast road to Burdens Gate to arrive prior to 6pm. R A unique event that can be done on MTB or foot. Huge scope in an area never used before, 25 mins from Wellington city.

Looks awesome, and a nice build up to the Akatarawa Attack in late January.
sifter
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby sifter on Tue 9/Dec/08 3:36pm

sifter

Postby sifter on Thu 18/Dec/08 10:03pm

I'm looking forward to doing this on Saturday in my new Roadworks livery. Matching jersey and shorts at long last! The forecast looks a bit rough, but it will be great to get out on a new map, and to have a crack at some foot-orienteers! :)
sifter

Postby sifter on Sat 20/Dec/08 10:07am

Mmmmm, wet!
sifter

Postby sifter on Sat 20/Dec/08 9:07pm

It was wet! For the first half at least, and damn windy for all of it. Had a great time though - nice to be racing with Simon after a long lay off. He and I managed to pip the Bradshaws for top points tally (2020 out of a maximum 2260). We'll get 10% deducted though, and the top runners will pip us for overall honours.

The Eastern Harbour Lakes Block had some pretty cool riding - not stunning, but well worth a look if you're after a change from Makara Peak or the like. The two lighthouses are pretty cool.

Great to get my new Roadworks kit out there!
sifter

Postby sifter on Sat 20/Dec/08 9:08pm

Oh yeah, cheers to OHV for putting a great event on. The hot pizza at the end was a VERY nice touch :thumbsup:
sifter

Postby Oli on Sun 21/Dec/08 12:01am

Great work, Sifter! :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Cycling | Events | Orienteering - Latest Posts