Re: Christchurch Summer Season

Postby chchbob on Fri 17/Jul/09 8:16pm

dezalfittar wrote:
Fergie wrote:
dezalfittar wrote:Its not like I'm going to be able to use them in the next 5 weeks (bloody work)

What's on now at that wee place you work at?

Catering for the Christchurch arts festival 23 July 9 August only get the next 3 Sunday's off :( .Then 14th Canty/Waikato, 22nd Canty/Tasman.

You need a lazy ass job like mine where you look at VORB all day ... even better would be a job where I could get out of the office and ride when the sun is out ....
chchbob
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby dezalfittar on Fri 17/Jul/09 8:25pm

chchbob wrote:
dezalfittar wrote:
Fergie wrote:
dezalfittar wrote:Its not like I'm going to be able to use them in the next 5 weeks (bloody work)

What's on now at that wee place you work at?

Catering for the Christchurch arts festival 23 July 9 August only get the next 3 Sunday's off :( .Then 14th Canty/Waikato, 22nd Canty/Tasman.

You need a lazy ass job like mine where you look at VORB all day ... even better would be a job where I could get out of the office and ride when the sun is out ....

:hmmm: Sun and day light would be good.Left work at 4.30 the other day for SB's ended up coming down Evans in the dark.
P.S if I had a lazy ass job like yours I wouldn't be so slow
dezalfittar
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Fergie on Fri 17/Jul/09 8:28pm

3 weeks of artie farties and then Boofheads. Hope you get paid well!
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby Tony_Cleall on Fri 17/Jul/09 11:08pm

I'm in for tomorrow. Haven't raced in about 4 or 5 months so D grade sounds like fun. Who's running that graph thinggy?
Tony_Cleall
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby 84millsy on Sat 18/Jul/09 10:30am

Fergie wrote:Should be some fun racing tomorrow. Weather looks like cool but not raining.

My plan (for a guy who has raced for years, won three races on this circuit in 87, 89 and 90:-) and finished 2nd in the season opener here three years ago in D grade is pretty simple....

-Lap 1 look after myself
-Lap 2 lift the tempo
-Lap 3 go hard
-Use the cross wind section to hurt some legs each lap
-Be 1st or 2nd into the final corner

Hnag on - are you doing the 40km one Fergie? Or do you plan on being so far ahead on the final lap that you will be treating it as a victory lap for your adoring fans. Or alternatively, plan on getting dropped on the third and retiring through some 'injury'.
84millsy
""As I enter my late twenties, the world should make marginally more sense, contain far more meaning and be slightly less depressing. I'm interested in the production of belief and, unable to reconcile myself to the notion I'll find fulfilment in 'career paths', prime time television or petty romance, I've chosen to believe in cycling" - Dr Ianto Ware"
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby Fergie on Sat 18/Jul/09 10:51am

Assuming (or hoping) C grade is 3 laps :)
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."

Postby brockman on Sat 18/Jul/09 3:52pm

Marc Ryan won A grade off the front of the Bunch by a few seconds, with Scotty Wilder 2nd.
B grade was much tighter with a big bunch and mass sprint finish, with Aaron Hooper just nudging out Gydey by half a wheel.
Unsure who won C grade but saw Ferg in there mixing it up like promised, nice work!
brockman
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Fergie on Sat 18/Jul/09 4:22pm

Suckymotar race for the Ferg, took a look at C grade and even with Gydey going into B thought it may be too hot and with Robbie Risdon in D thought it would be a better start to the season after sporadic riding through the winter. The group lapped well in the first lap and we stayed pretty close to C grade. In the 2nd lap things got a little choppy but nothing too major. In the third lap Robbie and I and a few others started testing the group. As we rolled through the bell I put in a real move and my calves started cramping. Then the hammies must have felt left out and they tied up as well as Robbie put in a big move so spent some painful minutes gnawing the handlebar stem as the bunch slowly reeled him in. Moved up well for the sprint when someone pushed up the inside (mistake 1), and tried to push me off Robbies wheel (mistake 2), went psycho after finding I wasn't going to budge and nearly lost control (mistake 3). All to the amusement of Nienke Podmore who had my wheel. Come through the final corner in 3rd place and the quads cramped finishing me off and pedalled squares to the finish for 6th.

Wasn't happy as I felt quite fresh, and had good souplesse (able to spin a easy gear). Roll on next week at Ladbrooks.
Fergie

Postby 84millsy on Sat 18/Jul/09 4:26pm

D grade went as expected. I didn't win.
Tried multiple times (4 or 5) for a breakaway only to have either a). no-one come with, b). several come with, including an older dude that kept bringing us back, or c). the pack step it up and not allow it at all. Several other vorbers had a go at getting ahead only to have the same results.
Came down to a sprint finish obviously. Not sure who won. Got fairly exciting at that point with Tony almost getting ridden into a ditch and myself having to lay on the anchors because another rider had taken the last corner way to fast and got his rear wheel out. Kind of ruined any hope of a strong sprint at that point. Tony on the other hand was fairly raged and was ahead of myself and CHCHbob at the corner and just steamed home. Must have to think angry thoughts next time and see what happens.
I didn't really find the speed very fast at all in the pack unless someone was having a go up front. Was cruise control it seemed until the sprint finish.

Main thing is I learnt alot
A). work on the sprint
B). work on the sprint
C). stay the hell away from people willing to either chuck you in a ditch or drift around corners.
D). work on the sprint.

Edit: Fergie, was the one going nuts the older guy in the red? I could hear someone swearing and thought it may be at me as I was in front at that point and he was yelling "i'm on his fucking wheel!" :butbut: And which one was Robbie?
84millsy
""As I enter my late twenties, the world should make marginally more sense, contain far more meaning and be slightly less depressing. I'm interested in the production of belief and, unable to reconcile myself to the notion I'll find fulfilment in 'career paths', prime time television or petty romance, I've chosen to believe in cycling" - Dr Ianto Ware"

Postby Fergie on Sat 18/Jul/09 4:47pm

Not sure who. I was the one who had Robbies wheel and wasn't giving it up. Robbie, older guy on the Scott with gold wheels who put in some good moves, especially the painful one on the final lap.

Was another guy on the small Merida who was sitting beside me on a wheel. Really annoying, either go forward or back but sitting there is not cool.

Was asked if there was a pie for first place. Answer is no. My excuse for a sub par performance. Inadequate motivation.
Fergie

Postby chchbob on Sat 18/Jul/09 5:13pm

Well that was a bit of fun wasn't it... :) Was happy that it wasn't a repeat of my last effort at Waipara and going out the back after 15km's .. atleast this time I was there for the sprint. Crossed behind Millsy .... race was pretty much as he described and the pace wasn't too bad at all.

My pre-race preparation started turning to crap last night with a puking child and got progressively worse this morning, cuminatling in arriving after being picked by Tony and leaving my shoes behind ... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Luckily a quick phone call to the wifey :love: :love: and said shoes managed to get delivered in time to make the start....

Roll on next week, will try to be better prepared :paranoid: :paranoid:

Lesson learnt, same as Millsy WORK ON THE SPRINT!!!!!! :blink: :blink: :blink:
chchbob
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby mfw on Sat 18/Jul/09 5:18pm

mfw D grade report:

That was hurty fun!
I was active at the front for the first two laps, including the second one when Robbie (No. 52) seemed to lay down relentless breaks. This took it's toll and my legs then turned to toast and it was mainly a case of surviving the next two laps. Lucky things calmed down in lap 3 but I still had nothing left for the sprint at the end, there were two behind me on the line (assuming no-one got dropped?), didn't help that I was in about 10 gears too low out of the last corner LOL.

It felt like two grades up from Prebbleton E grade, which was probably to be expected, the second lap speed didn't seem to drop below 40kph from my recollection and someone said we nearly caught C grade.

I need more speed if I'm to be a player in this group :hmmm:
Was still a lot of fun though with Robbie stoking things up and Fergie throwing in a moves too. Good on Ferg for trying to keep the bunch working nicely together too :thumbsup:
mfw
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby rochie on Sat 18/Jul/09 5:26pm

B grade a bit scrappy for the first lap or so. A few tentative attacks to start. I took a flyer and stayed out a while but was reeled in. Gydey and one other had a good go at getting away. The bunch left it to Warmup to chase them down if they wanted to. On the last lap I had another go - John McK came with me and we lapped well, thought we might make it. We got closer to the group and a couple of guys bridged. Redlined it for a while but at about 4k's out everybody was burned out and we got caught. Stuck in traffic on the corner and watched the sprint from 10 wheels back. Next time ....
rochie
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby 84millsy on Sat 18/Jul/09 5:34pm

Bob, Martin, we will have to sort something out for the next race (if we haven't upped the ante by then) and see if we can get working together a bit better.
84millsy

Postby Fergie on Sat 18/Jul/09 5:37pm

Think getting a few guys to roll through smoother in first laps worked against me when I started making wee moves. But I never panicked knowing the bunch was laping well when riders were up the road.
Fergie

Canterbury | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Track Cycling - Latest Posts