Re: Christchurch Summer Season

Postby DerrickN on Sat 1/Oct/11 8:24pm

Sefton Classic results now posted at http://www.pegasuscycling.co.nz. 48km Handicap result to follow. I need to reprocess the tag reads from the timing computer as I inadvertently set it up for 1 lap less than the actual 3 laps, so it correctly declared a result after 32km !! The tag reads are still in the "box", so I need to correct the race distance and reprocess these results. Will post as soon as they are done. Sorry!!
Fantastic turn out of 156 seniors and 25 juniors in warm but windy conditions making the final climb to the finish a headwind as well - a few grimaces over the line and average speeds indicate a tougher day in the saddle than in recent weeks !!
A significant 10 or so DQ's today, all for crossing the centre line. This point will continue to be made every race until you recognise that the right hand side of the road is never part of the course. We have some great courses, and we wish to continue to be given the privilege of using them - don't provide the road controlling authorities or the police ammunition to further restrict our great sport.
A reminder also that when the website and race line say (on Friday morning) that entries are closed, this is what it means. Because of the huge amount of work preparing for these big races and the inordinate amount of effort required to process late entries, please get into the (not onerous) habit of picking up the phone or logging onto to the website earlier in the week. If your weekend plans are not yet known, we would rather you enter, then withdraw, than try and turn up on the day expecting a start.
DerrickN
"BikeNZ National Volunteer of the Year 2009"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby DerrickN on Sun 2/Oct/11 2:03pm

DerrickN wrote:Sefton Classic results now posted at http://www.pegasuscycling.co.nz. 48km Handicap result to follow. I need to reprocess the tag reads from the timing computer as I inadvertently set it up for 1 lap less than the actual 3 laps, so it correctly declared a result after 32km !! The tag reads are still in the "box", so I need to correct the race distance and reprocess these results. Will post as soon as they are done. Sorry!!

48km Handicap results also now posted
DerrickN

Postby pantani1 on Mon 10/Oct/11 6:41pm

Why dont they split the Benchmark races into two seperate races for category 1 and category 2 teams,it would make the races easier to control and safer with a smaller bunch.
The cat 2 race could start 10 mins after cat 1 so as to use the same marshals, the girls could race more aggressively instead of just hanging on.There is a big difference in ability between the top cat 1 teams and cat 2 teams, the racing would improve in both races and you would get a lot more cat 2 teams racing increasing the revenue.Also it would mean not so many people would miss out on racing on the weekends that Benchmark races are on.
pantani1
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby SRC on Mon 10/Oct/11 8:59pm

pantani1 wrote:Why dont they split the Benchmark races into two seperate races for category 1 and category 2 teams,it would make the races easier to control and safer with a smaller bunch.
The cat 2 race could start 10 mins after cat 1 so as to use the same marshals, the girls could race more aggressively instead of just hanging on.There is a big difference in ability between the top cat 1 teams and cat 2 teams, the racing would improve in both races and you would get a lot more cat 2 teams racing increasing the revenue.Also it would mean not so many people would miss out on racing on the weekends that Benchmark races are on.

Good points, it would be nice for those not racing Benchmark because their not at that level, not in a team etc to be able to race also. I'm not suggesting there is a lack of racing for other the club members but if it's possible to put on support races then why not.. just a thought.
SRC
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby Fergie on Mon 10/Oct/11 9:14pm

pantani1 wrote:Why dont they split the Benchmark races into two seperate races for category 1 and category 2 teams,it would make the races easier to control and safer with a smaller bunch.

Would require twice as many people to marshal and an entire set of Commissaires. There was a lead car, meant to be neutral support, 3 Comms Cars and St Johns. Teams with A and B riders would need two team vehicles and judging by some of the stuff I was hearing on the radio (I was Com 2 behind the break all day) we need to teach the some of the team supporters proper behaviour in the convoy. As it was the break went so far in front that the marshalls on some corners could not get through to their corners before the race did. Fortunately the riders knew where to go (as they are supposed to).

SRC plans are afoot to ensure that there is a race every weekend that will suit whippets like Sam Horgan and pie eaters like myself. We had our biggest turn out for the graded scratch race last week and if we don't maintain the momentum and provide regular racing for the majority we will go backwards. We also need more Commissaires, I wouldn't mind racing at some point.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Alf on Mon 10/Oct/11 11:03pm

Pretty much all the marshals on Saturday's Benchmark event are racers themselves. We've found that if you have a supporting event on using the same course you end up with no volunteers to help with the race - they're all lining up to race. So, for around 4-5 days a year (in a normal Benchmark series) Canterbury riders might not have a Saturday race because a Benchie is on. For this series, it's just 2 Saturdays that you don't have a club race. :blink:
For those of you who love to race, it looks good for the other 40-odd Saturdays :)
Alf

Postby engee on Thu 20/Oct/11 8:55am

Does anyone riding the Christchurch-Hanmer race think they might have room to bring an extra person/bike back? It would be hugely appreciated and happy to contribute to petrol/coffee other costs that may come up? Thanks.
engee
Member for: 6 years 10 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 20/Oct/11 9:53am

[quote="Fergie
SRC plans are afoot to ensure that there is a race every weekend that will suit whippets like Sam Horgan and pie eaters like myself. We had our biggest turn out for the graded scratch race last week and if we don't maintain the momentum and provide regular racing for the majority we will go backwards. We also need more Commissaires, I wouldn't mind racing at some point.[/quote]

excellent

With a combination of races I'm not good enough for, commercial races and work commitments I can't race for many weeks.
And after the Sefton on 1 october where the racing in the 64km "A" race was fantastic aggressive racing from the get go, I'm champing at the bit.
An alternative for non elites, when the elite races are on would be most welcome( whilst acknowledging the superb job that is done by the organisers already!)
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby DerrickN on Mon 31/Oct/11 12:00pm

Christchurch to Hanmer Springs 140km Handicap results available at http://www.pegasuscycling.co.nz
Before anybody asks any questions about the handicapping..............
The 4 limit riders had a fair mark, but had the fortune to ride just ahead of some very strong headwinds which developed (and just as quickly receded) half way through the race behind them!! Times at the half way mark indicated that they were being caught to schedule, but the increase in wind behind this group decimated the main field and the limit riders actually increased their gap as the race proceeded towards Hanmer !! Well done to these hardy limit riders who each rode at least the latter half of the race solo to take the 1st three places. Hamish Schreurs on scratch battled on to take time nearly a quarter of an hour slower than expected, but was rewarded with gaining also 4th place and fastest junior for his efforts.
Next week is the 1st round of the Points Series, a 40 and 72km Graded Scratch at Eyreton Hall starting at 1.00pm. Beware, however, that Mandeville Road has just been resealed so take it carefully round the final turn at the hall and the last run in to the line.
DerrickN

Postby rochie on Sat 5/Nov/11 6:31pm

XLNT B grade race out at Eyreton today. Didn't win as usual. Got in some breaks as usual. Got swamped in traffic at the end by people who I hadn't seen all race as usual.

Good positive racing. Lots of attacks. I got in a good one on the return leg. We stretched it out doing the TTT thing. We saw the peleton chase us a bit, then break down, then chase a bit etc. But we just weren't quite going fast enough. Maybe shorter pulls would have done it. We needed another km/h. Then it was gruppo compacto again at the bridge. Saw the big pothole Derrick warned us about. New seal on the road frikkin horrible to ride on. Really rough on my delicate ass. A few folk getting a bit uptight about people not taking their turn on the front. But hey, its a graded scratch race not a communist work farm. No points for wearing yourself out on the front. To win you need to save a bit. Great return leg with a tail wind - bumping along at 45-50 always fun.

Didn't see who won but apparently they deserved it. Great day out. What other sport do you do with friends where you try to hurt them for 2 hours!!??

Thanks all the marshals on the bridge and turn.

And Stu won D grade. DB earned.

Race data:
http://www.brytonsport.com/mapTrackView?id=190480
rochie
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby DerrickN on Sat 5/Nov/11 11:03pm

Points Series 1 results and series points table available at http://www.pegasuscycling.co.nz. Good but cool weather for 96 riders plus 13 juniors to set the series off. Last race of the year will be the 2nd race - 8km TT and 40km GS followed by a BB!. Last 2 of the series will be after the Christmas break.
Next week is the Round the Gorges 125km Handicap from Eyreton Hall at 9am. Point to point long distance races like this need lots of volunteers out on the course - get in touch if you want to help.
Oh! And by the way, congrats to Pegasus member Josh Atkins on a stellar performance at the TOS - you guys finishing today kept interfering with my keeping an eye on the last few km of the last stage!!!!!
DerrickN

Postby emjay2 on Wed 16/Nov/11 10:28pm

Anyone know what happened to the 30 minute bunch in the Gorges ride on Saturday? I was off 34 and expected to 30s to catch us pretty quickly, but when the 23s came past there was no sign of them.
Thanks again to marshals for making it possible for us to race.
emjay2
"Formerly emjay, member since Aug 2004, but lost my log-on. :("
Member for: 6 years 4 months

Postby Flying weasel on Thu 17/Nov/11 9:26pm

emjay2 wrote:Anyone know what happened to the 30 minute bunch in the Gorges ride on Saturday? I was off 34 and expected to 30s to catch us pretty quickly, but when the 23s came past there was no sign of them.

Only four riders in the 30 minute mark started the race, given there was 9 or 10 entrants I guess this messed up the handicap. We were caught just after the Ashley river bridge by the 23 minute mark, three of us managed to hang onto the back for a few kilometers before dropping off one at a time. Long solo ride into the wind after that.
Flying weasel
Member for: 5 years 11 months

Postby emjay2 on Fri 18/Nov/11 6:39am

Flying weasel wrote:
emjay2 wrote:Anyone know what happened to the 30 minute bunch in the Gorges ride on Saturday? I was off 34 and expected to 30s to catch us pretty quickly, but when the 23s came past there was no sign of them.

Only four riders in the 30 minute mark started the race, given there was 9 or 10 entrants I guess this messed up the handicap. We were caught just after the Ashley river bridge by the 23 minute mark, three of us managed to hang onto the back for a few kilometers before dropping off one at a time. Long solo ride into the wind after that.

Ouch.
emjay2
"Formerly emjay, member since Aug 2004, but lost my log-on. :("
Member for: 6 years 4 months

Postby DerrickN on Mon 21/Nov/11 9:59am

This weekends race - Saturday 26th November - is the Barry Richardson Memorial 85km Handicap out at Cust starting at 1.00pm (registrations form 12 Noon). Enter on line at either club web site, or on 0832 43615 by Thursday night please.
In a drive to get more riders entering club races, and after some valued feedback from members we are starting a new system of entry fees from this race onwards. Entry fees will be reduced to $10, but to finance this, cash prize money will be replaced by a cash spot prize system based upon one spot prize per fifteen entries. Spot prizes will be randomly drawn from the start list, and all winners must be present to receive their prize. NOTE - "Open" races will remain unchanged at $25 with usual cash prize pools allocated dependant upon entry levels.
DerrickN

Canterbury | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Track Cycling - Latest Posts