Re: Christchurch Summer Season

Postby Al_Bushman on Fri 10/Jun/11 2:00pm

No. If you're in C grade, and some A Graders fly past, you are not allowed to jump on their wheel and catch a ride. It has been known to happen at Ruapuna. When in A grade I'd jumped away and lapped some C graders. One of the C graders jumped on my wheel and I was quick to tell him to Fxxk off. People generally are pretty observant of the rules.
Al_Bushman
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Spyder on Fri 10/Jun/11 2:01pm

Al_Bushman wrote:People generally are pretty observant of the rules.

:blush: It only happened once!
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby Al_Bushman on Fri 10/Jun/11 2:09pm

It wasn't you!! This was about 3 years ago!
Al_Bushman

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Fri 10/Jun/11 2:20pm

Al_Bushman wrote:No. If you're in C grade, and some A Graders fly past, you are not allowed to jump on their wheel and catch a ride.

there goes my race strategy . . .
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Postby Spyder on Fri 10/Jun/11 2:30pm

Al_Bushman wrote:It wasn't you!! This was about 3 years ago!

I know, but in my first race out there a couple of years ago, I got pissed off with all the phaffing about in D (I think) so hopped onto the back of a couple of dropped A graders. Was all working swimmingly until they finished their race a lap early and left me hi & dri! Got swamped in the sweeper.... Live & learn (hopefully).
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby Al_Bushman on Fri 10/Jun/11 3:17pm

Haha!! I remember my first road race out there when I was a filthy MTBer. I remember sitting on the front of the B grade bunch for the entire first 2 laps thinking what a bunch of pussies these roadies were. Next thing I'm a bit tired so I drift off to the side, then WHAM, a dude attacks and I'm out the back. I spent the next 3 laps about 30m behind the bunch gnawing the stem never to regain!

I learnt fast and next race I got 3rd. :p
Al_Bushman

Postby DerrickN on Fri 10/Jun/11 7:39pm

great uncle bulgaria wrote:
DerrickN wrote:
great uncle bulgaria wrote:general question for anybody/derek
not having done it before I assume the Kermese the weekend is graded scratch?
what is the start order and times ?
thanks

Yes, normal 6 grades - runs like any other GS, but with a prime sprint every alternate lap to liven things up. If you're chasing points for the big money can make all the difference, with the unknown factor of what the "opposition" in the other grades are up to. Has been known, dare I say, for a bit of teamwork to figure as well!!
Usual start order A-B-C-D-E-F at 3 minute gaps. Gets interesting for the judges by around lap 5 with 6 grades on a 6km circuit. Thankfully Times-7 will keep good track of things.

so E is starting after A (and B and C?) have come through?
it sounds like it could turn into a spectacular/hilarious mess indeed?

Actually works quite well (have done this race for 11 years). Obviously E and F will get caught, but we expect you to police yourselves and not jump on to A and B and maybe C as they pass.
We will start you at 2 minute gaps if we can - depends on how organised you guys are lining up. This means everybody apart from F get going on the same lap, and we generally let A go through before starting F. All good fun to end the season and take our winter break. 96 starters in 6 grades on a 5.85km circuit with 3 sprints thrown in = good fun and hot racing.
DerrickN
"BikeNZ National Volunteer of the Year 2009"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Al_Bushman on Fri 10/Jun/11 9:01pm

Woops - forgot to register on the race line. Hoping Derrick mught cut me some slack as it's my only race of the 2011 season I can do (family/ work etc). :eh:
Al_Bushman

Postby davea97 on Fri 10/Jun/11 9:26pm

This was the points series event I was looking forward to the most. But I got struck down with a tummy bug. Hopefully I will be able to get out to watch.
davea97
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Postby DerrickN on Fri 10/Jun/11 10:05pm

davea97 wrote:This was the points series event I was looking forward to the most. But I got struck down with a tummy bug. Hopefully I will be able to get out to watch.

Watch?? With an orange vest on certainly !!!! See you there.
DerrickN

Postby DerrickN on Sat 11/Jun/11 5:10pm

Results of final round of the points series up on http://www.pegasuscycling.co.nz along with the final points table.
159 riders took part in the series - best ever, and all grades were represented in the top 15.
Another bunch prang in D Grade today - coincidentally same grade that came down in Round 2 at Eyreton !!!! Anything to learn there, or just bad luck ?? Feedback from Bill "Doc" McSweeney is one rider wheeled off to hospital with a probable broken collarbone and a bang on the head. Thanks Bill for giving up a race (again) to render assistance and rest of the group for helping your buddies before continuing the race.
Last edited by DerrickN on Sat 11/Jun/11 6:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
DerrickN

Postby speedystu on Sat 11/Jun/11 6:25pm

DerrickN wrote:Results of final round of the points series up on http://www.pegasuscycling.co.nz along with the final points table.
159 riders took part in the series - best ever, and all grades were represented in the top 15.
Another bunch prang in D Grade today - coincidentally same grade that came down in Round 2 at Eyreton !!!! Anything to learn there, or just bad luck ??

I think just bad luck Derrick. We had another prang in front of us in E Grade when C came through and one of our lads thought he would jump on to them. We missed the usual " your race is your own race don't jump on another bunch" message at the briefing just before starting.
Thanks again to all who helped out - kudos to all of E Grade who stopped and made sure all the boys in C grade who came down were ok before resuming racing. That is how it should be.
:)
speedystu
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby Fergie on Sat 11/Jun/11 6:36pm

Getting quite concerned about the number and severity of crashes in the racing. Next week Winter Worlds start and there will be more newer riders. One thing that an A grader commented on seeing as they passed D grade just before the crash was riders looking around a lot in the bunch. We saw this at Schools racing and after some stern advice from the race referee's we had everyone looking ahead at the finish and had the cleanest lines in the sprint I have seen all year. First schools RR with no crashes either. The big crash early in the year happened after a rider attacked and looked back to survey the damage and swung back into the bunch. Eyes front people, the finish line is that way!!!
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."

Postby DerrickN on Sat 11/Jun/11 6:55pm

Agree, Fergie. Coupled to this is the fact groups are getting a little larger, faster and stronger. With new riders joining the groups each week, experienced riders need to cut them a little slack and allow a bit more room as they learn the required skills and you feel comfortable with them close up!!. We are always going to get a number of accidents - even happens in the pro tour, but in "friendly" club racing try to take a bit of time at the back of the bunch during the race to educate some of the newer riders on bunch etiquette - everyone will benefit in the end.
DerrickN

Postby speedystu on Sat 11/Jun/11 8:27pm

DerrickN wrote:Agree, Fergie. Coupled to this is the fact groups are getting a little larger, faster and stronger. With new riders joining the groups each week, experienced riders need to cut them a little slack and allow a bit more room as they learn the required skills and you feel comfortable with them close up!!. We are always going to get a number of accidents - even happens in the pro tour, but in "friendly" club racing try to take a bit of time at the back of the bunch during the race to educate some of the newer riders on bunch etiquette - everyone will benefit in the end.

Yep good point Derrick and Fergie. A few stern words after the crash in C grade and E grade was a safe as I've seen it.
Heads up and straight ahead has to be the way to go.
speedystu
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Canterbury | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Track Cycling - Latest Posts