Re: Christchurch Lights Of Hope

Postby Oli on Mon 5/Sep/11 9:06pm

:thumbsup:
Bat_signal_by_Balsavor.jpg
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby dented on Mon 5/Sep/11 9:08pm

Holy flashbacks! Those lights do look a lot like the Batlights!
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Conners on Mon 5/Sep/11 9:16pm

You mean how they're lights? And pointed at the sky? OMG COPYCATZ!!!!

Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby wuffy on Mon 5/Sep/11 9:18pm

Batman should sue the shit outta them
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Slapheid on Mon 5/Sep/11 10:40pm

Call me a party pooper, but I quite like seeing the stars.
Hopefully as part of theChCh rebuild plan they will enforce a more responsible lighting scheme and protect our dark skies
Slapheid
"Good things come to those who gate."
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Mon 5/Sep/11 11:29pm

Oh crap, they really did do it. I hoped the outrage resulting from the 2004 proposal to shine lights into the sky to comemorate Einstein's death might have put people off this sort of thing.

Less than 20% of US citizens can see the Milky Way from home, so US national parks have added darkness to the list of things they protect.
http://www.npca.org/magazine/2010/spring/fading-fast.html

US military satellite data shows that light pollution increased by 24% between 1993 and 2000.

In 2004 astronomers estimated more than half the British population was unable to see the Milky Way - our own galaxy - from home.
Of the 12 constellations featured in the zodiac, five are now invisible in the most light-polluted UK skies, and the other seven are all missing some stars.

When meeting someone whose experience is restricted e.g. to their small town, to one country or to a small group of bozo friends it is not usually feasible to explain to them what they are missing and especially why it matters.
I think it is somehow important that we see outside our walls, our country, our solar system. We need to see the full night sky, not only on the occasional trip to the mountains. It should just be there every time we go out for a pee on the garden at night.

The Light of Hope is a monument to small-mindedness. It is pissing electricity away and smearing our window. :angry:
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Tue 6/Sep/11 12:16am

i usually really like your posts Si

but that one is bollocks

i agree with the light pollution worries.

however, to begrudge a temporary symbol to a city that has taken a serious beating, is curmudgeonly in the extreme IMO. :hmmm:

carry on with the excellent posts though :)
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 6/Sep/11 8:44am

great uncle bulgaria wrote:i usually really like your posts Si

but that one is bollocks

i agree with the light pollution worries.

however, to begrudge a temporary symbol to a city that has taken a serious beating, is curmudgeonly in the extreme IMO. :hmmm:

carry on with the excellent posts though :)

I agree, stop being such a curmudgeon, get back to humour!! :thumbsup:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 6/Sep/11 2:30pm

Sorry I have been in a shitty mood lately, the abstinence from masturbation for RWC is doing my head in. It's not fair, I hardly ever watch rugby anyway. :p

And I am grumpy because I used to think that our beautiful world and our civilisations could be saved and even that I could play some small part in that, but now the only things I can see which might possibly save us are a nuclear winter, GE plague weapon accident, or possibly a savagely anti-technology global religious movement that goes way beyond the Taliban.

Oh dear that still sounds a little bit curmudgeonly. I'll take a 20 minute run in the sun pill, that always helps. And I'll go take a peek at the light one night and enjoy some rays of hope! :)
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby Trail on Tue 6/Sep/11 3:07pm

we go night riding up the hill and shine our beacons of hope at the beacon of hope...

Imagine having that much light for night riding... would be a totally different game then!!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby RJD on Tue 6/Sep/11 3:15pm

Trail wrote:we go night riding up the hill and shine our beacons of hope at the beacon of hope...

Imagine having that much light for night riding... would be a totally different game then!!

Esp for the poor buggers coming the other way!

Si you has issues. Go , uh, blow off some steam..
RJD
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Tue 6/Sep/11 3:43pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:Sorry I have been in a shitty mood lately, the abstinence from masturbation for RWC is doing my head in. It's not fair, I hardly ever watch rugby anyway. :p

And I am grumpy because I used to think that our beautiful world and our civilisations could be saved and even that I could play some small part in that, but now the only things I can see which might possibly save us are a nuclear winter, GE plague weapon accident, or possibly a savagely anti-technology global religious movement that goes way beyond the Taliban.

Oh dear that still sounds a little bit curmudgeonly. I'll take a 20 minute run in the sun pill, that always helps. And I'll go take a peek at the light one night and enjoy some rays of hope! :)

:D

i can't quite figure out if the lights are moving because they are supposed to or are they just wobbling with the aftershocks :blink:
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 6/Sep/11 5:40pm

I don’t know how I feel about the Lights of Hope but thank you guys for your thoughts on the subject :)

We have night lights from the sky here in West Auckland…they beam down from the Police helicopters :rolleyes:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts