Christchurch Adventure Park Secures Major Events For Summer

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Tue 19th Jun 1:37pm

The Christchurch Adventure Park is proving a popular race venue, with three major race events confirming they will be coming to the Park this Summer so far.

The Enduro World Series (EWS) has today announced that the Christchurch Adventure Park is one of two new venues for the 2019 EWS Asia-Pacific Enduro Series.

“This is a really significant event on the world mountain biking calendar, so it is hugely exciting for us to be invited to host the final race of the Asia-Pacific Enduro Series,” Christchurch Adventure Park General Manager Anne Newman said. “This is a vote of confidence in the quality of trails we have on offer here, and a fantastic opportunity for us to showcase the Park to an international audience.”

The Asia-Pacific Enduro Series is part of the Continental Series that was launched this year to bridge the gap between Qualifying events and the main EWS races. These events allow up and coming riders to compete in existing events closer to home, gain ranking points and the chance to win a Championship title.

“We have a wealth of talent here in Canterbury and around the South Island who I know will relish the chance to compete in a high profile event so close to home, and it will be exciting to see the 2019 Asia-Pacific Enduro Champion crowned here at the Christchurch Adventure Park on February 16.”

Also coming to the Christchurch Adventure Park on 26 January 2019 is the NZ Open - an annual downhill race event held by Gravity Canterbury. The event is held during the peak of the race season, often attracting national and international elite riders who are in New Zealand training during the northern hemisphere’s off-season.

“This will be the second time we have hosted the event, the last time being in 2017 just days before the Port Hills fires that forced our temporary closure,” Ms Newman said. “It is awesome to have the event returning here now that we are up and running again, and based on last time we are looking forward to having over 100 riders hitting our trails. The race is open to all riders, and with prize money up for grabs it brings out the competitive edge in the elite fields making for tight racing.

“With these races, and a third yet to be announced event, we have certainly got plenty of action and excitement to look forward to here at CAP this Summer,” Ms Newman said.
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Re: Christchurch Adventure Park Secures Major Events For Summer

Postby AgrAde on Tue 19th Jun 7:11pm

Err, what are the enduro stages going to be?

They have perhaps two top-to-bottom routes that could be used as race stages, without racing parts of the hill twice/having very short stages/racing tracks that would be awful EWS stages.
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Mystic on Tue 19th Jun 9:34pm

AgrAde wrote:Err, what are the enduro stages going to be?

They have perhaps two top-to-bottom routes that could be used as race stages, without racing parts of the hill twice/having very short stages/racing tracks that would be awful EWS stages.

Pessimism at its finest from AgrAde. What an awesome opportunity for local riders and for the park. Having EWS in Christchurch will do massive things for the riding scene. Making the series more accessible for young shredders is crucial for the sports development. Any sort of event with this caliber should be welcomed with open arms. You seemed to have missed the point - the series will provide those hoping to make it to the big leagues (i.e. the main series) with a chance to gain points. Its not about making Christchurch a major EWS destination.

Considering there is over 7 months until the event, it isnt much of a stretch to assume new tracks will be built by then. Highly likely that a Proline will be reopened, considering the NZ Open will be held there along with another event (unannounced as of yet). Victoria park will likely be utilized as well.
Mystic
Member for: 4 months 3 weeks

Postby AgrAde on Tue 19th Jun 9:58pm

Mostly just being realistic.

Mystic wrote:Victoria park will likely be utilized as well.

Hopefully.

The GC is one of the better DH tracks I've ridden and I'm hoping it can reopen. I'm hoping that going forward, they're going to do things a little differently - With the one race that was run on it they didn't let their photographer attend, had no social media coverage, didn't advertise it at all, and pretended like it never happened because they were more interested in family friendly fun and tourists. It seemed like a combination of not wanting an image that was intimidating for casuals and an attitude of "worship us or go away" towards gravity canterbury. It's hard to tell, it was a super weird vibe that alienated GC a bit.

Local racing is all about the scene and preparing riders for higher level racing. CAP so far have had the attitude of "screw the local scene, we're our own scene". And aside from a couple of two minute scorchers built by the volunteers, have little riding to prepare local racers for bigger things in either DH or enduro.

Picking up some points is good i guess.
AgrAde

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 20th Jun 6:53am

I'm picking the other round in Nelson is gonna be all time.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby AgrAde on Wed 20th Jun 8:06am

No doubt!
AgrAde

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 20th Jun 10:14am

Probably on the 3-4 trails they are currently rebuilding/ building.

6-7 months is quite a while for trail building activities. :thumbsup:

Awesome news anyway, wonder what the 3rd event will be... :o
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby Sikamikanico on Wed 20th Jun 1:22pm

Mystic wrote:

Pessimism at its finest from AgrAde. What an awesome opportunity for local riders and for the park. Having EWS in Christchurch will do massive things for the riding scene. Making the series more accessible for young shredders is crucial for the sports development. Any sort of event with this caliber should be welcomed with open arms. You seemed to have missed the point - the series will provide those hoping to make it to the big leagues (i.e. the main series) with a chance to gain points. Its not about making Christchurch a major EWS destination.

Considering there is over 7 months until the event, it isnt much of a stretch to assume new tracks will be built by then. Highly likely that a Proline will be reopened, considering the NZ Open will be held there along with another event (unannounced as of yet). Victoria park will likely be utilized as well.

I'm curious to know how you think this will improve the riding scene here? I think anyone who is serious about gaining entry into the ews already travel to the current qualifying events.

Perhaps the benefit is in more publicity for the adventure park? I think they are a poor representation of mountain biking in Canterbury, i liken that place to a dentists office in that you pay a lot of money for a fairly painful experience (maybe its because i don't participate in spin classes on the deck, i'm probably missing out). Initially i would of said that a chair lift in chch would be great for the sports development now i'm not so sure.

If they do end up using tracks outside of the adventure park hopefully they give recognition to the other organizations involved, Gravity Canterbury have been killing it with their dig days this year.

I hope that that it is a success. I think pessimism is to be expected when it comes to the adventure park, they want to make a profit while the rest of us want good tracks and a good atmosphere.
Sikamikanico
Member for: 2 years 1 month

Postby Mystic on Thu 21st Jun 10:24am

Sikamikanico wrote:
Mystic wrote:

I'm curious to know how you think this will improve the riding scene here? I think anyone who is serious about gaining entry into the ews already travel to the current qualifying events.

Perhaps the benefit is in more publicity for the adventure park? I think they are a poor representation of mountain biking in Canterbury, i liken that place to a dentists office in that you pay a lot of money for a fairly painful experience (maybe its because i don't participate in spin classes on the deck, i'm probably missing out). Initially i would of said that a chair lift in chch would be great for the sports development now i'm not so sure.

If they do end up using tracks outside of the adventure park hopefully they give recognition to the other organizations involved, Gravity Canterbury have been killing it with their dig days this year.

I hope that that it is a success. I think pessimism is to be expected when it comes to the adventure park, they want to make a profit while the rest of us want good tracks and a good atmosphere.

Having all the young guys coming through seeing some of the best riders from asia-pacific is going to be huge for motivation and aspirations. So it improves the riding scene massively there. Previously, looking to these elite level races they seem unachievable and a massive step away from little old Christchurch, New Zealand. Even just raising interest for the sport in Chch is massive. Case and point is road nationals - thousands turned out for that when it was held here. Interest and profile for the event was huge. I had multiple friends get into cycling after seeing the atmosphere around the event and seeing what cycling was all about.

With regards to your point about everyone travelling to the EWS races anyway, that is certainly not true. A lot of guys simply cant afford to go and race overseas. Having these events lets riders experience the EWS and simply see if they are up to speed or not. It can be hard for guys on the cusp to identify where they stand with their ability at that level. There are a lot of fast riders in New Zealand who simply dont want to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to travel around for months at a time. Guys in europe and the americas get to try these types of races out first before committing to giving it a full run. This is a massive opportunity for our riders to do the same.

I can see why you look at it as expensive, for sure. But at the end of the day it is a corporate model and thats how business runs. Why would a business run at no profit simply to help mtbers out. You're dreaming if you think that is how it should be. If you look at it from a weekly point of view, $1200 (season pass) ends up being about $23 a week to ride as much as you want. That is pretty dam good if you ask me. Much the same as a gym membership at somewhere like les mills. $23 a week is dam well spent to do what you love. Probably the same as what people spend on two lunches. So i think the whole price point thing has just become the popular narrative to spurt out. We cant expect something like this to run for no profit. Thats completely unrealistic. Having the only 365 day a year park on our doorstep is unbelievable. A chairlift in christchurch is something i grew up dreaming about. Yes a few areas could be better managed, and they will with time, but having a chairlift is far better than no chairlift. Every time I go there, there are new riders getting coaching or asking about riding. It is wicked for the chch mtb scene.

Hopefully i havent across too fired up here! just so stoked to be riding with a park on our doorstep. More tracks and atmosphere will come with events like EWS!

P.s. how shit is this weather for riding :)
Mystic
Member for: 4 months 3 weeks

Postby Sikamikanico on Thu 21st Jun 12:02pm

With regards to your point about everyone travelling to the EWS races anyway, that is certainly not true. A lot of guys simply cant afford to go and race overseas. Having these events lets riders experience the EWS and simply see if they are up to speed or not. It can be hard for guys on the cusp to identify where they stand with their ability at that level. There are a lot of fast riders in New Zealand who simply dont want to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to travel around for months at a time. Guys in europe and the americas get to try these types of races out first before committing to giving it a full run. This is a massive opportunity for our riders to do the same.

I was referencing the existing ews qualifying events which have been Mammoth enduro Nelson, 3 peaks dunedin and the 2w gravity enduro rotorua. And sure enough they still have a cost to attend that wouldn't be present with the chch ews qualifier but riders here do travel to these events.

I can see why you look at it as expensive, for sure. But at the end of the day it is a corporate model and thats how business runs. Why would a business run at no profit simply to help mtbers out. You're dreaming if you think that is how it should be. If you look at it from a weekly point of view, $1200 (season pass) ends up being about $23 a week to ride as much as you want. That is pretty dam good if you ask me. Much the same as a gym membership at somewhere like les mills. $23 a week is dam well spent to do what you love. Probably the same as what people spend on two lunches. So i think the whole price point thing has just become the popular narrative to spurt out. We cant expect something like this to run for no profit. Thats completely unrealistic. Having the only 365 day a year park on our doorstep is unbelievable. A chairlift in christchurch is something i grew up dreaming about. Yes a few areas could be better managed, and they will with time, but having a chairlift is far better than no chairlift. Every time I go there, there are new riders getting coaching or asking about riding. It is wicked for the chch mtb scene.

I guess that is where i don't understand business very well. It seems a company would rather exploit its current patrons who are willing to pay a lot for a mediocre service than broaden its customer base with a fair price that is equatable to the service provided. Yes for a whole years riding 1200 bucks comes out as good value, but 20 bucks for a single up lift is pretty high.

I'm stoked that more riders are getting involved and CAP seems to be very accommodating to those looking to learn the ropes but that is where the emphasis seems to be. AgrAde hit the nail on the head with his comment "screw the local scene, we're our own scene", there are established mountain bike communities in chch and i get the feeling CAP has neglected them. i think a good example is the recent winter series.
Great idea to do something along those lines and as i understand the timing equipment for some of the races are being provided by gravity canterbury but not a single mention of that on the website. wouldn't it be nice to see "in collaboration with ..."

I've talked to a few people now about this event and they've all said the same thing: "awesome, but cap has a long way to go". Its not just about the trails its also about CAP being a representative of chch mountain biking to an large audience.

P.s. how shit is this weather for riding :)

Amen.
Sikamikanico
Member for: 2 years 1 month

Postby Rik on Thu 21st Jun 2:48pm

Mystic wrote:Case and point is road nationals - thousands turned out for that when it was held here. Interest and profile for the event was huge. I had multiple friends get into cycling after seeing the atmosphere around the event and seeing what cycling was all about.

:withstupid:

From a spectator point of view (ie. me because I can'r compete at this level) the Road Nationals where awesome from an atmosphere perspective. And if they can CAP :cool: ture half the atmosphere the road nats. had we, the spectating public are in for a winner. Banana custom booked for Feb 16th, just need to find a broken frame for clanging. I'm sure I can break a frame between now and then.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby AgrAde on Sat 30th Jun 11:11am

CAP have reduced their trail crew hours and combined with winter maintenance are struggling to keep up, let along build the new trails they need. They need help from gravity canterbury and volunteers to make this happen.
Without getting into the ins-and-outs of giving your time for free so a business can make a profit, I'll keep it simple:

Get in contact with the park or gravity canterbury if you feel as though CAP deserve your support. CAP do provide some perks but it is very much volunteer work.
AgrAde

News - Latest Posts