Re: Chinese Carbon Frames

Postby philstar on Thu 30/Oct/14 4:33pm

wachtourak wrote:
sanspareil wrote:
wachtourak wrote:
sanspareil wrote:I was disappointed to discover that my Kiwi Avanti Cadent (carbon frame), was manufactured in China


Why?

I try to avoid buying anything made in China, would prefer to spend my money in NZ or Taiwan at least


Why? What do you have against the Chinese?


I'd reckon more carbon stuff is made in China rather than Taiwan. Lots of brands that have their Aluminium stuff made in Taiwan have their carbon stuff made in China, I'd say the Chinese are pretty good at it. I'd rather ride a Chinese made carbon frame than something that's been battled together in a shed by some she'll be right mate kiwi bloke, like some pipe dreamers wish lolvanti's were


there can be difference between name brand Chinese made stuff, and an unbranded knockoff.
philstar
User avatar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Re: Chinese Carbon Frames

Postby Wobbler on Thu 30/Oct/14 4:36pm

philstar wrote:
wachtourak wrote:
sanspareil wrote:
wachtourak wrote:
sanspareil wrote:I was disappointed to discover that my Kiwi Avanti Cadent (carbon frame), was manufactured in China


Why?

I try to avoid buying anything made in China, would prefer to spend my money in NZ or Taiwan at least


Why? What do you have against the Chinese?


I'd reckon more carbon stuff is made in China rather than Taiwan. Lots of brands that have their Aluminium stuff made in Taiwan have their carbon stuff made in China, I'd say the Chinese are pretty good at it. I'd rather ride a Chinese made carbon frame than something that's been battled together in a shed by some she'll be right mate kiwi bloke, like some pipe dreamers wish lolvanti's were


there can be difference between name brand Chinese made stuff, and an unbranded knockoff.


There can also be no difference
Wobbler
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Chinese Carbon Frames

Postby Scotty on Thu 30/Oct/14 4:49pm

well... apart from the paint job.
Scotty
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Re: Chinese Carbon Frames

Postby musta on Thu 30/Oct/14 10:07pm

They are about $950NZ shipped I think. Not bad for a full carbon fibre frame
musta
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Re: Chinese Carbon Frames

Postby Wobbler on Thu 30/Oct/14 10:10pm

customs will steam you at that amount for sure
Wobbler
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Chinese Carbon Frames

Postby snr_merv on Fri 31/Oct/14 2:57pm

musta wrote:They are about $950NZ shipped I think. Not bad for a full carbon fibre frame

I'm all for carbon fibre, but why is it so important to you? You know it only offers any kind of advantage over other materials if it's done properly.

You're now at the price of a Santa Cruz aluminium hardtail frame near full retail, GST included.
-29 or 650b.
-Good geometry (Will actually ride nicely, designed by people who ride).
-Same weight as a carbon bike from a few years ago (Hey wait, isn't that likely what this unbranded frame will be?).
-Strong (Your internet bike will be strong too, if random unbranded backdoor factory dude felt like cracking skulls to get it done properly that day)

Go ahead though, play russian roulette with some unbranded backdoor internet bike to feel good about telling people you got a deal on teh crabonz :D
snr_merv
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Re: Chinese Carbon Frames

Postby sifter on Fri 31/Oct/14 3:04pm

Wobbler wrote:customs will steam you at that amount for sure


maybe... I've seen a recent package from China with a $1k wheelset in it, labeled "tyres, $68"...

:D
sifter
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Re: Chinese Carbon Frames

Postby happybaboon on Fri 31/Oct/14 3:07pm

sifter wrote:
Wobbler wrote:customs will steam you at that amount for sure


maybe... I've seen a recent package from China with a $1k wheelset in it, labeled "tyres, $68"...

:D

Lots of the suppliers on alibaba say they'll write whatever value you want on the goods :lol:
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Re: Chinese Carbon Frames

Postby znomit on Fri 31/Oct/14 3:38pm

happybaboon wrote:
sifter wrote:
Wobbler wrote:customs will steam you at that amount for sure


maybe... I've seen a recent package from China with a $1k wheelset in it, labeled "tyres, $68"...

:D

Lots of the suppliers on alibaba say they'll write whatever value you want on the goods :lol:

Does it become a problem when you try to get your money back?
znomit
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Re: Chinese Carbon Frames

Postby Wobbler on Fri 31/Oct/14 3:39pm

If the couriers here stuff it you might not get a whole lot of money back
Wobbler
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Chinese Carbon Frames

Postby happybaboon on Fri 31/Oct/14 3:44pm

znomit wrote:
happybaboon wrote:
sifter wrote:
Wobbler wrote:customs will steam you at that amount for sure


maybe... I've seen a recent package from China with a $1k wheelset in it, labeled "tyres, $68"...

:D

Lots of the suppliers on alibaba say they'll write whatever value you want on the goods :lol:

Does it become a problem when you try to get your money back?

Any more of a problem than it would be get money from some random Chinese company in the first place? :eh:
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Re: Chinese Carbon Frames

Postby wachtourak on Fri 31/Oct/14 4:58pm

Just accept you will be paying GST on the purchase and stop being such a hebrew
wachtourak
User avatar
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Re: Chinese Carbon Frames

Postby happybaboon on Fri 31/Oct/14 5:06pm

:o
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Re: Chinese Carbon Frames

Postby Scotty on Fri 31/Oct/14 6:43pm

:lol:
Scotty
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Cycling | Frames - Latest Posts

Who is online

62 Users browsing this website: Conners, DotBot, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 56 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle