Chest Infection And Racing

Postby Derryn Hinch on Fri 28/Oct/11 3:21pm

Does anyone have any scientific / evidence based advice on the risks of racing with a chest infection?

I have had a cold the last couple of weeks which last night seemed to develop into a chest infection and I haven't been able to get a doctor's appt before a fun ride I want to do on sunday. I googled this, but only found numerous personal opinions rather than cientific / evidence based advice.

I'm still planning on doing the ride, but will use the vorb consensus to decide whether to go hard or take it easy and treat it as a fun bunch ride.
Derryn Hinch
User avatarMedal
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Re: Chest Infection And Racing

Postby Joel on Fri 28/Oct/11 3:46pm

don't do the ride.. go see a Dr, get the drugs. and give them time to work.

Riding to the extent of even a "fun" bunch ride, places stress on your body.. when you want it focused on fighting the chest infection.

So if it is an actual chest infection, you will make it significantly worse..and take longer to clear out.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby cruiser on Fri 28/Oct/11 4:18pm

seems you're going to ride anyway.

Take it easy, faifai lemu
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby Derryn Hinch on Fri 28/Oct/11 4:26pm

I've seen plenty of opinion / advice from unqualified peeps on the web effectively advising what Joel said, but can't work out if this opinion is an urban myth or is actually based on research. Was hoping there might be someone informed on vorb (I'm incurably optimistic)
Derryn Hinch
User avatarMedal
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby cruiser on Fri 28/Oct/11 4:39pm

I had a quick look on journals, really they talk about a staged process where you are assessed as ready to compete or train dependent on status/ severity of infection. Much like returning from any bug or injury. They do point out plenty of complications

Pragmatically speaking, we've all done things when 'sick'. It's up to you to visit a doc or use your honest judgement on exactly how sick you really are then make some decisions.

Why don't try find a doc that is free. My one would say "harden up, nothing wrong with you" :D
cruiser

Postby cruiser on Fri 28/Oct/11 4:51pm

some light reading for you Derryn
59619619.pdf
Downloaded 119 times
20542326.pdf
Downloaded 55 times
cruiser

Postby thekiwi on Fri 28/Oct/11 5:12pm

Derryn Hinch wrote:Does anyone have any scientific / evidence based advice on the risks of racing with a chest infection?

I have had a cold the last couple of weeks which last night seemed to develop into a chest infection and I haven't been able to get a doctor's appt before a fun ride I want to do on sunday. I googled this, but only found numerous personal opinions rather than cientific / evidence based advice.

I'm still planning on doing the ride, but will use the vorb consensus to decide whether to go hard or take it easy and treat it as a fun bunch ride.

Like many of us, you are going to do the ride and do it whilst sick.

As with many of us, no amount of convincing will stop you ... so enjoy the ride.

BUT. If an infection has gone to your chest ... it better be some ride you are doing cause, you will get sicker (regardless of the intensity ... the duration will do the damage as well).
By getting sicker, you will then have time off the bike, you will feel like s^&t and wish you had never done the ride. Then you will be like the rest of us and be an expert "after the fact".

Enjoy the ride....
thekiwi
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby sturdy on Fri 28/Oct/11 6:27pm

No scientific evidence...go to the doctor for that...but I did this 3 years ago for taupo. It took me four months to recover and a trip to the cardiologist(at $500 a pop).

Laymans recommendation-don't do it. There will be more rides. There is only one heart.
sturdy
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Gavatron on Fri 28/Oct/11 6:49pm

One of the most pertinent pieces of advice I've seen in a book on training was regarding where a health issue is. That is - above the neck not advisable but doable but if a cold or infection has travelled below the neck to the chest be very, very careful as the complications and outcome can be much more severe.
Gavatron
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Fri 28/Oct/11 6:52pm

one difference does missing one ride make?
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Postby ThingOne on Fri 28/Oct/11 7:06pm

My 2c.. about 2 years ago I did this and got seriously sick for a long time, also resulting in my ears being blocked for 3 months afterwards then ear drums exploding..

definite no no..
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Fri 28/Oct/11 8:19pm

There isn't a big advertising budget for it but I believe doctors have a lot of respect for rest, bed rest in more serious cases.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Klarkash-ton on Fri 28/Oct/11 8:38pm

are you talking about the martinborough funride?

Is it worth it? you're not gonna be your best form anyway.

as for unqualified peeps, are doctors good enough? most seem to be on these lines

Dr. Cathy Fieseler gives the following bits of advice.
"There are a few basic rules about exercising while ill. If you are running a fever or have body aches, don’t work out. The greatest concern about exercising while ill is that it may increase the likelihood of developing myocarditis—infection of the heart muscle. This is probably more likely when fever and/or body aches are present.
Otherwise, use the neck check, a guideline recommended by Dr. Randy Eichner, prominent physician for the University of Oklahoma football program. If your symptoms are above the neck (sore throat, congestion, etc.) it is okay to work out if you are up to it. This is not a time to push the intensity of workouts; I’ve seen a number of people develop long-term symptoms after working out too intensely while ill. Moderate workouts should be fine.

so you race, probably won't do particularly well, maybe you'll be fine or maybe you'll seriously complicate things. I'm not seeing big upsides here.
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Fri 28/Oct/11 10:05pm

Klarkash-ton wrote:are you talking about the martinborough funride?

Is it worth it? you're not gonna be your best form anyway.

as for unqualified peeps, are doctors good enough? most seem to be on these lines

Dr. Cathy Fieseler gives the following bits of advice.
"There are a few basic rules about exercising while ill. If you are running a fever or have body aches, don’t work out. The greatest concern about exercising while ill is that it may increase the likelihood of developing myocarditis—infection of the heart muscle. This is probably more likely when fever and/or body aches are present.
Otherwise, use the neck check, a guideline recommended by Dr. Randy Eichner, prominent physician for the University of Oklahoma football program. If your symptoms are above the neck (sore throat, congestion, etc.) it is okay to work out if you are up to it. This is not a time to push the intensity of workouts; I’ve seen a number of people develop long-term symptoms after working out too intensely while ill. Moderate workouts should be fine.

so you race, probably won't do particularly well, maybe you'll be fine or maybe you'll seriously complicate things. I'm not seeing big upsides here.
:withstupid:

Your body also knows more than your head, if you feel weak and shitty it's your body's way of telling you not to be a retard and rest til you don't.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Sat 29/Oct/11 12:16am

:withstupid: fully in agreement with the neck check and the risk of myocarditis and cardiomyopathy

you will have to work very hard to find a sports dr who recommends exercising with a chest infection.
(although some generalists untrained in sports medicine may advise its ok)

a point about the neck check that some people miss, is that a temperature, while often measured in the head, is a whole body sign and therefore is below the neck.
dont exercise with a temperature > 37 mouth or ear or >36.5 armpit
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Cycling | Health | Road Cycling | Sifting - Latest Posts