Re: Chest Infection And Racing

Postby Mr_Jolly on Sat 29/Oct/11 10:10am

Exactly the same advice given to me by my Doc...above the neck train as hard as you like, below the neck...not so much.

CrustyMTB wrote:
Klarkash-ton wrote:are you talking about the martinborough funride?

Is it worth it? you're not gonna be your best form anyway.

as for unqualified peeps, are doctors good enough? most seem to be on these lines

Dr. Cathy Fieseler gives the following bits of advice.
"There are a few basic rules about exercising while ill. If you are running a fever or have body aches, don’t work out. The greatest concern about exercising while ill is that it may increase the likelihood of developing myocarditis—infection of the heart muscle. This is probably more likely when fever and/or body aches are present.
Otherwise, use the neck check, a guideline recommended by Dr. Randy Eichner, prominent physician for the University of Oklahoma football program. If your symptoms are above the neck (sore throat, congestion, etc.) it is okay to work out if you are up to it. This is not a time to push the intensity of workouts; I’ve seen a number of people develop long-term symptoms after working out too intensely while ill. Moderate workouts should be fine.

so you race, probably won't do particularly well, maybe you'll be fine or maybe you'll seriously complicate things. I'm not seeing big upsides here.
:withstupid:

Your body also knows more than your head, if you feel weak and shitty it's your body's way of telling you not to be a retard and rest til you don't.
Mr_Jolly
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Derryn Hinch on Sat 29/Oct/11 10:53am

Thanks for all the replies. especially the pdfs.

The Vorb tribe has spoken and I'd be stupid to carry on.

BTW, I think we may have set a vorb record for an advice thread without sarcasm, trolling, references to sex or bodily functions, or outright personal abuse!
Derryn Hinch
User avatarMedal
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 29/Oct/11 2:26pm

One more cautionary tale to add to the pile:

I caught a cold, seemingly after sleeping out in tropical clothes at 3000m during a couple of months wandering around Java. Continued climbing volcanoes etc. Thought it was funny having a coughy cold in 40C heat.

Returned to NZ but still coughing up goo. Still physically active at first but my immune system seemed stuffed. I used to be resistant to colds etc and had very seldom needed antibiotics. Now I caught any cold going around and always seemed to have something interesting to cough up.
Caught flu for the first time in my life.
Got the first sinus infection of my life. Hilarious, it made bright yellow goo.

Constant trub with throat infections etc - I could knock them out with antibiotics but it wouldn't be long until I caught something else.

Stress of studying & writing essays (which I am hopeless at) made it a whole lot worse, and I got severe brain fog. It seemed like ME/CFS but without pain or headaches.
Even gentle excercise eg cycling quietly for a few km felt like too much, it left me exhausted rather than invigorated.

After exams finished I went on the dole and did some serious goofing off. Slowly got better, next spring I was well enough to become a rock climbing bum for a season. :p

Cured! Immune system is now fine, it didn't come back to superman grade.
Studied a couple of years, graduated, career, family. But it would have been easier to not get so wrecked in the first place.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby slidecontrol on Sat 29/Oct/11 2:38pm

Derryn Hinch wrote:Thanks for all the replies. especially the pdfs.

BTW, I think we may have set a vorb record for an advice thread without sarcasm, trolling, references to sex or bodily functions, or outright personal abuse!

get bent :p
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Sat 29/Oct/11 2:50pm

slidecontrol wrote:

get bent :p
If it gets past 2 pages, all bets are off.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Sat 29/Oct/11 9:56pm

fuck off cunzor
:)
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Cycling | Health | Road Cycling | Sifting - Latest Posts