Re: We're Checking Out The Snow Today

Postby Colin on Mon 15/Jun/09 2:34pm

Jessie has asked me to take her skiing / snowboarding.

We are going to head up Ruapehu later in the year.

I will defo be on skis, 'coz I'm a oldfag who does want to learn new tricks. She is debating with herself based on theory given by her peers (Dad's don't know squat) whether to go boarding (harder to learn / cooler) v the easier to get going on skis.

Naffles will be a legend on a board 'coz he is a surfer dude.
Colin
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby radiusq on Mon 15/Jun/09 2:36pm

scatter wrote:I miss skiing :( I should try snowboarding.....I used to surf so should pick it up relatively easy? :eh:

It's difficult to say unless you give it a try. :) For most people it's a pretty steep learning curve. First two to three days are all about falling over. Day 3 onwards most people have a pretty good feel for it. Day 5-6 and it start to become instinct. Give it a go. Heaps of fun. You'll have most fun if you can persuade someone else to learn with you. There are few things funnier than watching a buddy face plant in fresh snow! :satan:
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby radiusq on Mon 15/Jun/09 2:39pm

Colin wrote:Jessie has asked me to take her skiing / snowboarding.

We are going to head up Ruapehu later in the year.

I will defo be on skis, 'coz I'm a oldfag who does want to learn new tricks. She is debating with herself based on theory given by her peers (Dad's don't know squat) whether to go boarding (harder to learn / cooler) v the easier to get going on skis.

Naffles will be a legend on a board 'coz he is a surfer dude.

Learning curve is initially steeper snowboarding for the first couple days at least. However, she'll be riding black runs in a controlled manner way quicker on a snowboard.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby RJD on Mon 15/Jun/09 2:45pm

I was on Broadway 2nd day on a snowboard, surfing realy helps.

Its a damned tough and painfull 2 days tho - go for protection and padding ...
RJD
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby DD-Rick on Mon 15/Jun/09 3:05pm

Once you've learnt to stand and balance on a board, I think the Mt Hutt nursery slope is too shallow. Slightly steeper slopes are better as you don't catch your downhill edge. When I taught my wife to board we had 1 day at Hutt then the rest of the season at Porters till she was confident. We always go to Hutt now though, as she is still not capable of doing the t-bars at Porters.
DD-Rick
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Trail on Mon 15/Jun/09 3:13pm

I started off skiing, then changed to snowboarding and now am back on skis.

Really cannot beat a snowboard on a good powder day (I am talking at least a foot of powder).

Skis are more versatile and handle variable conditions better. You can get on rope tows easier, you can skate up small up slopes, you dont have to clip one foot out to get on T-bars/Chairlifts.

Back when I started boarding skis were pretty straight and skinny, and you had to be pinning it to be able to carve, and then it was big GS style carving. Jumping onto a snowboard and you were able to carve and float through powder. Now skis have changed their shape and they carve and are much better in powder... and are much more versatile than a snow board.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby Trail on Mon 15/Jun/09 3:14pm

DD-Rick wrote:Once you've learnt to stand and balance on a board, I think the Mt Hutt nursery slope is too shallow. Slightly steeper slopes are better as you don't catch your downhill edge. When I taught my wife to board we had 1 day at Hutt then the rest of the season at Porters till she was confident. We always go to Hutt now though, as she is still not capable of doing the t-bars at Porters.

I agree, really really hard to learn to snowboard on a learner slope. You have to get up the hill a bit and onto something with a decent slope really quick.
Trail

Postby RJD on Mon 15/Jun/09 3:20pm

Hutt's slope turns into a zoo quickly too not wide enough for a snowboard and too shallow.

Much easier on something with more of a slope I agree.
RJD
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby scatter on Mon 15/Jun/09 3:21pm

Oh I'd be skiing if I could, but the last time I did, I lost the layer of skin over my ankle screws :huh: Kinda hoping that snowboard boots are a little more forgiving
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby Trail on Mon 15/Jun/09 3:26pm

scatter wrote:Oh I'd be skiing if I could, but the last time I did, I lost the layer of skin over my ankle screws :huh: Kinda hoping that snowboard boots are a little more forgiving

2 feet attached to one plank should be a bit more forgiving for that. I have a bolt head on my ankle that does not take kindly to pressure... Luckily it handles the ski boots just fine.
Trail

Postby chalky on Mon 15/Jun/09 3:28pm

Pffft, boarding is for posers that think it looks "cool" along with the stupidly baggy pants and hardcorez label bashing jackets

Skiing is where it's at.

:D
chalky
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby crazychris on Mon 15/Jun/09 3:33pm

Last time on skis I hurt my ankle. Should have got someone to look at it really, as 4+ years on, still kinda hurts...

From what I've heard - skis = broken ankles, boards = broken wrists. I'd rather the ankles frankly... Actually, I'll play with the kids in the sleds, you guys can ski/board your hearts out. We'll be over here having snowball fights by the snowmen. :)
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby scatter on Mon 15/Jun/09 3:39pm

crazychris wrote:I'd rather the ankles frankly...

:crazy:
No way. Blapting anything weightbearing is teh bad :huh:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby Trail on Mon 15/Jun/09 3:48pm

As long as you have decent, well fitted boots on when you are skiing your ankles should be fine. I would be more worried about knee joints!

Wrist guards are a good thing for snowboarding. On under gloves. I used to have some for roller blading and they would definitely save a wrist!!
Trail

Postby crazychris on Mon 15/Jun/09 3:48pm

scatter wrote:
crazychris wrote:I'd rather the ankles frankly...

:crazy:
No way. Blapting anything weightbearing is teh bad :huh:

I'd rather not be able to walk than not be able to work, at least in the short term...
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Canterbury | Middle South Island | Mount Hutt | New Zealand | Regions | Snow | Tama's Random Ramblings | Vogs - Latest Posts