Re: Cheap Cyclocross Recommendations

Postby wolffman1 on Fri 29/Jan/16 12:41am

I've got a surly cross check which has been great. Heavy as a muthafucka though but that's a lot to do with the fork rather than the frame.
It's run duty with kids seats, trailers, single track and I put some good road tyres on it and did a massive ride on the road last week. the only thing I don't like are the drop outs which slip unless clamped crazy tight.
I haven't missed the disc brakes as they are still a generation or two from being accessibly cheap. The Deore equivalent isn't available yet.
Shame they stopped making the the unicorn jizz purple frame.
I hear good things about the giant
wolffman1
"Maaangooo"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby wachtourak on Fri 29/Jan/16 6:11am

dwgknz wrote:
happybaboon wrote:
dwgknz wrote:
Cheap today on Torpedo 7 KHS Grit

I'm pretty pissed to have bought the $1100 Jamis Exile from evo cycles days before.....

BUT it's a nice looking bike.... And nice wheels. Tubeless 32mm smooth wheels = the buzniss I reckon..... :huh:

Yeah, the CGA is a pile of shit for stuff like this. I hate the "we will meet our obligations under the CGA". In the UK you get 14 days after you receive an online purchase to send it back for a refund.

Why should you get to return it for that reason? You were obviously happy with the price you paid for it when you bought it or else you wouldn't have bought it. The store shouldn't have to foot the bill for your indecisiveness.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby dwgknz on Fri 29/Jan/16 7:23am

wachtourak wrote:
dwgknz wrote:Why should you get to return it for that reason? You were obviously happy with the price you paid for it when you bought it or else you wouldn't have bought it. The store shouldn't have to foot the bill for your indecisiveness.

In this instance it would be a perverse use of the rule, but still allowable.

Otherwise though it is a very good regulation. There is only so much due diligence you can do when shopping online. As much research as you do it's not until you see and touch an item
Do you really get a feel for it.

Also why should the contract be complete before an item is delivered? The risk still sits on the seller until it's delivered yet you don't have the same opportunity you would have in the shop to say no.

It can't be that heavy a cost burden, CRC and Wiggle both grew out of the UK offering cheaper prices than countries without similar consumer protections.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Postby Kyle on Fri 29/Jan/16 2:45pm

There is only so much due diligence you can do before buying a anatomically correct 3 foot long t-rex dildo at the local sex shop too. It's not until you get it into the privacy of those trees down behind that park that you can really get a feel for it.
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Wobbler on Fri 29/Jan/16 3:14pm

It it scaled from a the donger of a 3 foot long trex or is it a 3 foot long donger modelled after a trexeses donger?
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby happybaboon on Fri 29/Jan/16 6:07pm

wachtourak wrote:
dwgknz wrote:
happybaboon wrote:
dwgknz wrote:
Cheap today on Torpedo 7 KHS Grit

I'm pretty pissed to have bought the $1100 Jamis Exile from evo cycles days before.....

BUT it's a nice looking bike.... And nice wheels. Tubeless 32mm smooth wheels = the buzniss I reckon..... :huh:

Yeah, the CGA is a pile of shit for stuff like this. I hate the "we will meet our obligations under the CGA". In the UK you get 14 days after you receive an online purchase to send it back for a refund.

Why should you get to return it for that reason? You were obviously happy with the price you paid for it when you bought it or else you wouldn't have bought it. The store shouldn't have to foot the bill for your indecisiveness.

Yeah I really have no grounds there, nor should I. And I'm happy with the exile. Just annoying to see another option pop up, for less, at a different retailer, two days later :D
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Mansalmon on Sat 30/Jan/16 9:02am

Completely off original topic, but some credit cards have a benefit for exactly this. Find the same product for cheaper within 30 days of purchase - and they refund you the difference. Usually the higher end gold/platinum cards. Oh to be a millionaire...
Mansalmon
Member for: 2 years 7 months

Cycling | Cyclocross | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts