Chch Adventure Park Doubles Fees To $200 For 10 Runs

Postby AgrAde on Wed 8th Aug 3:14pm

CAP claim that the price hike is due to the much better trail network that they now have.

This seems odd to me - the trail network was much better when the park was first opened, and the locals' price was roughly $90. The west side trails at the mercy of the wind and rain are predictably falling apart and are showing a lack of maintenance, most of the gems of the original network are gone, and the feeder trail to the east side of the park is so bad most people ride down the road.

Out of many people I know who currently buy passes I don't know anyone who is actually willing to pay the new price, so I'm struggling to see where they're going with this.

I feel for the local investors.
Last edited by AgrAde on Wednesday 5:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Re: Chch Adventure Park Doubles Fees To $200 For 10 Runs

Postby dwgknz on Wed 8th Aug 3:55pm

I imagine they need the cashflow after the fire.

The benefit of the $200 is that it lasts for a full year instead of 3 months which was pretty dumb for out-of-towners.

$80 for the day pass doesn't seem like a bad option.
dwgknz
Member for: 5 years 5 months

Postby AgrAde on Wednesday 4:18pm

I'm sure that's the reason, despite what they say.

The $100/10 run pass used to last for a year, they changed it to 3 months later on. Trying to now sell that as a benefit of the higher price is pretty obnoxious.
AgrAde

Postby el_booto on Wednesday 9:23pm

Pushing people towards an annual pass, alienating the people who only ride a couple of times a month... be interesting to see how it affects patronage, has been a hot topic through work this week.
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby AgrAde on Wednesday 10:00pm

From what I can tell, it dropped the amount of my friends willing to pay for an uplift to zero.

They announced this evening they are going to rethink the pricing due to the backlash :huh:
AgrAde

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wednesday 10:29pm

If there were better trails and ones that really required the big bike I would be tempted by the early bird Summer Pass.
About the same cost as the old Stoked Pass which was valid for 9 months and included winter.
Summer Pass is good for 6 months, which is realistically how much I would have used the Stoked Pass.
But as it stands, not worth it for me.

My fave up there is Shredzilla, totally sessionable up Hackthorne Road.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Rik on Thursday 8:57am

Astoria Paranoia wrote:My fave up there is Shredzilla, totally sessionable up Hackthorne Road.

And a lot of people already uplift themselves on that East side. The park needs to be careful not to drive too many more people to do that, but I guess like Vegas, they'll still get some money out of you at the cafe.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Rik on Thursday 10:59am

Reaction from CAP takien from their facebook page

CAP wrote:We appreciate the feedback on our new pricing structure.

There are lots of positive changes in there and we're stoked that many of you like the lower youth, student and senior rates, and the new membership option. At $25 per week for as many trails as you can muster, this is a great deal for the regular riders.

However, there is a part of the market that won't ride often enough to justify an annual pass but will ride more than a one-off. We accept that we need to reconsider our product offering for this segment of the market and we are committed to doing that.

The 10 uplift pass has been a popular product, but unfortunately for us as a business $10 per run is not sustainable in the long-term. We want to be around and provide Christchurch with an Adventure Park in the future so we are trying to hit that balance between what the customers want and what the business needs. We have spent almost $2m bringing trails back to where they were pre-fire and we want to continue to develop and build. But, there is no CAP without you guys, so rest assured that we are listening and working on a new product to meet the needs of our casual riders. More details will follow soon....thanks for your patience!
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Dougal on Thursday 9:31pm

I can't think of a single ski-field worldwide that charges that much.

While the fire was a bad thing for all. I'm not sure how that loss can be pushed onto customers or why customers would accept that.
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby slidecontrol on Thursday 10:01pm

There'll be some twat with a spreadsheet that has justified it to themselves and expects the world to see it their way without question
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby swtchbckr on Friday 7:57am

Watching with interest... I hadn't even been aware that the 10 ride passes had slipped to 3 months. The last one I bought fucking better not have, cos I've only used a couple of them... I'll be most peeved.
I'd be pretty reluctant to fork over 2hundy... And no way can I justify a hundred a month. It'd kill my bike and I don't have that much time for riding anyway!
I'll often consider riding in there but the network just doesn't appeal to me enough and I just go, nah, fuck it, go ride somewhere else.
In some respects, we were better off before they even started w the park. The original network, pre park was better than anything they've got now and it was built for free! (With hard graft by good cunzors).
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby AgrAde on Friday 8:10am

Yeah, losing OG worsleys for what we have now is a bit of a kick in the guts.
AgrAde

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Friday 1:47pm

Haven't been there so I don't know what I'm talking about, but

Am going to Wairoa Gorge soon. That's $100 for the day + NMC annual fee. How many rides will I get, about 5? I suspect the riding will be a bit incomparable to what is at CAP though. Very pleased to be out of cell phone range and no cafe nearby. I'd pay extra for that distance from the real world.

On the other side, Vegas and Queenstown offer a lot more uplifts/shuttles for the $
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby dwgknz on Sunday 7:53am

Seems like they’re under the pump from their investors or insurance to get it profitable again. If they can’t make it work at $10 an uplift they’ve got an issue with people through the door not cost.

Should do what they did at the beginning and offer another cheap ticket now to get cash flow up then hope casual use picks up at summer. At the end of summer have a full and frank discussion on what they can do.

They’re just alienating customers right now.
dwgknz
Member for: 5 years 5 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sunday 10:58am

dwgknz wrote:Should do what they did at the beginning and offer another cheap ticket now to get cash flow up

earlier, Astoria Paranoia wrote:If there were better trails and ones that really required the big bike I would be tempted by the early bird Summer Pass.
About the same cost as the old Stoked Pass which was valid for 9 months and included winter.
Summer Pass is good for 6 months, which is realistically how much I would have used the Stoked Pass.

;)
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 11 months

News - Latest Posts