Calendar Event: February 15, 2009

Chairlifts Open To Mountain Bikers For Mount Hutt Open Day

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Mon 2/Feb/09 1:28pm

Spectacular alpine scenery, warm hospitality and the chance to get into the mountains are the draw cards during Mt Hutt Ski Area’s annual Open Day to be held this year on the 15th of February.

The summer day out is a community effort with Methven Lions Club, Mt Hutt ski area staff and the bus drivers of Methven Travel giving their time to welcome visitors to the high country resort and to raise money for Methven House - the aged person’s home run by the Methven community.

Mt Hutt’s massive six-seater chairlift will carry guests to the summit where views can be had of nearby mountain ranges, the Southern Alps, including Mt Cook, and the Canterbury Plains from Christchurch to Timaru and out to the Pacific Ocean.

Dave Wilson, Ski Area Manager for Mt Hutt said people could either return on the chairlift or walk or bike down from the summit.

“Most can cope with the walk and it is well worth doing but we recommend that people wear sturdy shoes. We will be providing water stations on the way down.”

“Visitors on foot will have priority in the morning and mountain bike enthusiasts will be able to take the chairlift in the afternoon. As the terrain is steep and erosion likely, riders must descend the summit on the four wheel drive tracks.”

Café seating will be open for those wanting to watch proceedings and visitors can either bring their lunch or enjoy barbeque food cooked by Methven Lions.

Admission is $20 per person or $40 for a family. Children under 12 accompanied by an adult go free. The admission price includes free travel on the chairlift. All proceeds will go towards Methven House.

Ken Lowe, President of Methven Lions said the event provided a great day out for tourists and locals while raising money for a very worthwhile cause.

“We are especially grateful to everyone who is donating their time to make this a fantastic event, with a special thanks to Mt Hutt Ski Area and staff, More Fm, Grant Hood Contracting and Methven Travel,” he said.

The access road will be open from 9am and the chairlift will be running from 10am.
Walkers will have priority until 1pm and mountain bikers able to use the lift from midday until 4pm.

For those wishing to see the sights in style, scenic flights in a helicopter will be available from the ski field car park.

Methven Travel is running a bus service from the square in Methven from 9.30am onwards to the base of Mt Hutt. The cost is $25 per person and bookings are essential (phone 03 302 8106).
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Chairlifts Open To Mountain Bikers For Mount Hutt Open Day

Postby trollbee on Mon 2/Feb/09 3:45pm

Now that sounds like FUN!! :crazy:
trollbee
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby Wills27 on Mon 2/Feb/09 4:07pm

Sweet.
cant wait to get up there should be a good day.
:thumbsup:
Wills27
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby radiusq on Mon 2/Feb/09 4:14pm

I was staring out at the ski-field on Saturday - whilst at the top of Scotts saddle track. I was wondering what it would be like to ride down through the ski-field. I think the Drop-in NZ crew may have done exactly that in episode one. IIRC It did't exactly look like fun - really loose scree. However, if nzski made the effort to carve in something vaguely ridable it could be worth the visit.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Wills27 on Mon 2/Feb/09 4:29pm

so u are saying there are no actual tracks up there just A big open scree thing like in drop in :crazy:
Wills27

Postby slowMTB on Mon 2/Feb/09 5:57pm

radiusq wrote:I was staring out at the ski-field on Saturday - whilst at the top of Scotts saddle track. I was wondering what it would be like to ride down through the ski-field. I think the Drop-in NZ crew may have done exactly that in episode one. IIRC It did't exactly look like fun - really loose scree. However, if nzski made the effort to carve in something vaguely ridable it could be worth the visit.

It clearly mentions 4WD tracks - sounds like a good option. I'm in, can't wait :thumbsup:
slowMTB

Postby ashesman on Mon 2/Feb/09 6:38pm

There are no "actual" tracks on the ski field.... There is the access road which is a slippery wide flat track the snakes from top to bottom.

Last time we went up the chair lift, went across to the right and rode down the shingle scree! It seemed like a god idea but I nearly shat myself once I realized that you can not even risk touching the brakes and its hold on for dear life. The speed as you skim over the rocks is incredible. On the steeper parts you can see the ground sliding down under you. Down the shingle scree was the fastest I have ever been on my bike. An incredible rush but I would never do it again!!!

We then got told off and reminded that we were only allowed to ride down the road.

The view from the top is pretty awesome. Worth going up the chair lift for a look, then down to the saddle then some runs at the bottom. Last time there were hundreds of people riding there and the chair lift wait was ages. The attached pic is from last time...
DSC03091.JPG
View from the top of Mt Hutt
ashesman
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby JohnnyC on Mon 2/Feb/09 6:42pm

Gutted I can't ride this, the last one was one of my favourite days of riding ever!!

Bombing scree slopes rules!
JohnnyC
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby slowMTB on Mon 2/Feb/09 6:45pm

Thanks Ash :thumbsup: . Hmmmm, sounds a bit dodgy after all :crazy:
slowMTB

Postby ashesman on Mon 2/Feb/09 7:01pm

Nah man, I didn't mean to put you off. Worth doing if you havn't been up the hill on a chairlift. Make a day of it and do all the tracks. Still a good long fast loose DH down the skifield 4wd track...
ashesman
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Conners on Mon 2/Feb/09 7:03pm

ashesman just gets confused up there, too many rocks around and he can't work out which ones to pull out of the ground first :eh:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby slowMTB on Mon 2/Feb/09 7:09pm

Conners wrote:ashesman just gets confused up there, too many rocks around and he can't work out which ones to pull out of the ground first :eh:

Come on man, drop it and give the guy a break. I managed to catch up with the trail pixies recently and there are a lot of outside influences that the pixies have no control over, this dictates the outcome considerably whether they like it or not.
slowMTB

Postby Conners on Mon 2/Feb/09 7:38pm

soz bol maing.
I'd never actually picked it up to drop it, but just couldn't help myself with the thought of scree being made up of..... well..... rocks....

Anyhoo. It was all for the lulz. Aaaahhh faahgeddaboutit
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Wills27 on Mon 2/Feb/09 7:40pm

so it isnt like coronet peak at all..................it is just 4WD tracks...
Wills27

Postby pedalingkiwi on Mon 2/Feb/09 7:47pm

Jeez Wills27 - use your imagination ! If it was "like Coronet Peak" doncha think it would be open all summer for the mad Cantabrians to knock themselves out on ??!! The fact that it's not = it's not suitable terrain :( :crazy:
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Canterbury | Cycling | Middle South Island | Mount Hutt | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | News | Regions | Shuttling - Latest Posts