Calendar Event: February 15, 2009

Re: Chairlifts Open To Mountain Bikers For Mount Hutt Open Day

Postby JohnnyC on Mon 2/Feb/09 8:57pm

Wills27 wrote:so it isnt like coronet peak at all..................it is just 4WD tracks...

Everyone just freerides down the scree!!! Either bomb the mellower lines or go find some mega steep ones and head down them, it feels awesome!!

Would recommend lots of armour
JohnnyC
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby wachtourak on Mon 2/Feb/09 9:01pm

Damn, wish this was a week later, sounds like mad fun :D
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby ashesman on Tue 3/Feb/09 10:15am

Nah, not like coronet. Just like in the picture. All stones and one 4wd track to ride down. Still recommend doing it at least once then go down and do the other Mt Hutt tracks. Remember to ride down the access road on the way out too...
ashesman
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby radiusq on Tue 3/Feb/09 2:33pm

ashesman wrote:There are no "actual" tracks on the ski field.... There is the access road which is a slippery wide flat track the snakes from top to bottom.

Last time we went up the chair lift, went across to the right and rode down the shingle scree! It seemed like a god idea but I nearly shat myself once I realized that you can not even risk touching the brakes and its hold on for dear life. The speed as you skim over the rocks is incredible. On the steeper parts you can see the ground sliding down under you. Down the shingle scree was the fastest I have ever been on my bike. An incredible rush but I would never do it again!!!

Heh. Dude, that sounds equally awesome and terrifying. There's nothing better than being in way over your head and somehow surviving it :p
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby ashesman on Tue 3/Feb/09 3:36pm

Heh. Dude, that sounds equally awesome and terrifying. There's nothing better than being in way over your head and somehow surviving it :p

Yeah... like I said, it was pretty awesome and I am never doing it again. They dont actually let you ride down the shingle scree but...
ashesman

Postby razza on Sat 14/Feb/09 3:29pm

Hi all,
First post on this vorb forum. Can someone who has done this Hutt Open Day tell me a little more about it? I am fairly new to MTBing, have spent most of my time on Rapaki, Bottle Lake & Mcleans. I dont have a DH bike, just a cross country Genius Apache. Will the 4WD tracks up there be OK or are they more for advanced people?

Cheers!!

Raz
razza
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby ashesman on Sat 14/Feb/09 5:01pm

Hi all,
First post on this vorb forum. Can someone who has done this Hutt Open Day tell me a little more about it? I am fairly new to MTBing, have spent most of my time on Rapaki, Bottle Lake & Mcleans. I dont have a DH bike, just a cross country Genius Apache. Will the 4WD tracks up there be OK or are they more for advanced people?

Cheers!!

Raz

The track down from the chairlift at Mt Hutt ski field will be fine on an XC bike. It is not steep. Kind of like coming down Rapaki only wider!!!

The other DH tracks at the bottom of the access road are a little more challenging but you should at least stop and take a look at them. My partner rides them top to bottom OK...
ashesman

Canterbury | Cycling | Middle South Island | Mount Hutt | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | News | Regions | Shuttling - Latest Posts