Chain Guide Help

Postby harleydh on Mon 6/Jun/11 9:03pm

Hey all I have an Giant stp I use for jumping Dh & a bit of general bush bashing with my kids but I want to upgrade a few things starting with the drive train etc.. Can i run a chain guide & still keep dual chain rings up front?? I guess it sounds dumb but I'm not overly clued up with these things .. Also what would be a good set up to get for it I want to stop the chain jumping off slipping etc but also like to 2 front gears

Cheers
harleydh
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Re: Chain Guide Help

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 6/Jun/11 9:06pm

yeah maing, most of the C.G. manufacturers make a dual ring guide
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby pushbikerider on Mon 6/Jun/11 9:08pm

you can buy dual ring specific guides such as the;

MRP - Long Range Patrol (Or LRP)
E*Thirteen - Dual Ring Security (Or DRS)
Blackspire - Stinger dual ring guide

any of the above will retain your chain and allow you to still use 2 rings
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 6/Jun/11 9:15pm

pushbikerider wrote:you can buy dual ring specific guides such as the;

Blackspire - Stinger dual ring guide*

*Effective and cheapest of the 3 :)
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 6/Jun/11 9:17pm

yeah i've ran that combo on all my dual ring setups, works sweet
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby kona.stinky. on Mon 6/Jun/11 9:28pm

I also recommend the Blackspire Stinger. You can get them pretty cheap off Chain Reaction and they come in pretty colours .
kona.stinky.
"Si"
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby toominator on Tue 7/Jun/11 9:57pm

Stinger works well, support your lbs and get it there. They don't cost much like $50-60 from memory
toominator
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby stiffeeslicker on Tue 7/Jun/11 10:47pm

Stingers are good. Also look at the Gamut dual guide (p30 I think) as it's seriously light albeit a bit pricier. Speshy use them on their enduros from factory.
stiffeeslicker
"Intentional, apparently."
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby Harley on Wed 8/Jun/11 6:42pm

Have a think about whether you really need 2 front chainrings. I used to run various dual guides, but have moved to single front chain ring - lighter, never drops the chain and by careful selection of front chain ring size and rear cluster, I don't need any more gears.

Plenty of advice by others above about the options if you do decide to run dual though.
Harley
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby slowMTB on Wed 8/Jun/11 8:11pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:you can buy dual ring specific guides such as the;

Blackspire - Stinger dual ring guide*

*Effective and cheapest of the 3 :)

I concur - mine has been running mint for 2-3 years now :)
slowMTB

Postby harleydh on Thu 9/Jun/11 7:52pm

Thanks fellas went with the stinger {BB mount} bit of a mish working out fitment as getting the spacers right to keep the chain line right was a bit technical think I got it though. Seems to be sweet now had to adjust the front shifter as it moved the drive side of the crank out about 3.5mm .. Let me know if that sound wrong or anything as I said Im not complete confident on bike mechanics as I fix tractors for a living ;)
harleydh

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Thu 9/Jun/11 8:18pm

Did you remove one 2.5mm BB spacer when you installed the guide?
The guide is meant to replace it.
There may not be enough spindle for the non-drive side crank to hang onto properly.
Would be stink for it to snap off :huh:
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby harleydh on Fri 10/Jun/11 7:13am

Astoria Paranoia wrote:Did you remove one 2.5mm BB spacer when you installed the guide?
The guide is meant to replace it.
There may not be enough spindle for the non-drive side crank to hang onto properly.
Would be stink for it to snap off :huh:

Ummm there was only one 2.5 spacer {on the drive side} then 5/6 small shims on the non drive side. Instructions said to use one 2,5mm spacer between the stinger guide bracket & the BB cup ,I then took out 3.5mm of shims from the non drive so the centre shaft came through the drive side 3.5mm further{thats the width of the stinger bracket} My crank seems to be a little odd to other pics of seen the non drive side does not have a allen head bolt holding the crank arm on like the drive side does,it looks like the centre tube is a pressed fit then the drive end has a star pattern spline.

Christ I hope this makes sence...
harleydh

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 10/Jun/11 7:35am

if there was only 1x 2.5mm spacer on the drive side you should have taken that out and replaced it with the guide, sounds like you have a "RaceFace" brand external type crankset, they're fine
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby harleydh on Fri 10/Jun/11 8:15am

pushbikerider wrote:if there was only 1x 2.5mm spacer on the drive side you should have taken that out and replaced it with the guide, sounds like you have a "RaceFace" brand external type crankset, they're fine

Thanks man looks like I may be revisiting it over the weekend LOL. Pretty sure I did try it without any spacers in & I got mad chain rub when on the ganny ring come to think of it the ring bolte may of rubbed too ,but i'll take your advice & double check it

Cheers
harleydh

Cycling | Freeriding (MTB) | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts